• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Eldritch Knight: Better Arcane Archer than the subclass?

MechaPilot

Explorer
Is there any way to be sure that your players aren't tracking ammunition usage? After all, it's not normally a DM's job to track it anyway so they might not even tell you if they were doing it.

If they are, the 7th level ability could be attractive to someone without you realizing it.

The players know that ammunition tracking is not an issue at my table. I have told them that if a situation comes up where tracking ammunition, rations, etc will be required (such as being shipwrecked), I will alert them to it.

CapnZapp

Legend
I have not been impressed at all with these UA subclasses. A couple of them look alright, but most of them look forced.
Forced is a good characterization.

As if an intern low on sugar is forced to rehash existing abilities.

Instead of a brilliant designer coming up with new ways of doing things.

The PHB subclasses are distinct and clear (for the most part).

The UA subclasses might serve fluff-wise, but crunch-wise leave me cold.

It all seems so... defensive and conservative, as if all designer imagination has left the room.

CapnZapp

Legend
The players know that ammunition tracking is not an issue at my table. I have told them that if a situation comes up where tracking ammunition, rations, etc will be required (such as being shipwrecked), I will alert them to it.
An excellent decision.

In my opinion, the only reason to force players to administer ammunition is for it to run out.

Since that can happen if you're forced to count the beans, you always bring plenty of beans. Unless you actively stop the player from packing a few extra cans of beans (=quivers' worth of arrows), in which case it's more honest to just tell him he can't play an archer.

All that matters is if you run out. But not only is running out actively unfun for a character with a ranged build, it never happens in actual play. So why do it?

In the end, the only practical result is that players are forced to do boring administration for no reason. It doesn't matter whether you finish the adventure with 33 or 87 arrows left. What matters is that the so-called desired situation, finishing with only 2 arrows left, never happens.

Besides. You never make a swordfighter run out of sword. You never make a shieldbearer run out of shield. Both these were a thing in real life. So why even think about having an archer run out of arrow?

Valetudo

Adventurer
An excellent decision.

In my opinion, the only reason to force players to administer ammunition is for it to run out.

Since that can happen if you're forced to count the beans, you always bring plenty of beans. Unless you actively stop the player from packing a few extra cans of beans (=quivers' worth of arrows), in which case it's more honest to just tell him he can't play an archer.

All that matters is if you run out. But not only is running out actively unfun for a character with a ranged build, it never happens in actual play. So why do it?

In the end, the only practical result is that players are forced to do boring administration for no reason. It doesn't matter whether you finish the adventure with 33 or 87 arrows left. What matters is that the so-called desired situation, finishing with only 2 arrows left, never happens.

Besides. You never make a swordfighter run out of sword. You never make a shieldbearer run out of shield. Both these were a thing in real life. So why even think about having an archer run out of arrow?
The reason you make players track ammo is to add distinct magic arrows of limited quantity that loose their magic on use. I dont worry too much about normal arrows as long as the player says he scrounges for replacements, thats good enough for me. But what about silver arrows? What if he finds a reusable arrow of dragonslaying, but only one? It adds to the story at this point. People often forget that gimli actually won the contest because legolas ran out of arrows.

CapnZapp

Legend
[MENTION=87009]Valetudo[/MENTION]: Of course you keep track of special arrows.

My rant was about counting regular normal ammo, the kind you purchase twenty of per gold piece :)

Valetudo

Adventurer
[MENTION=87009]Valetudo[/MENTION]: Of course you keep track of special arrows.

My rant was about counting regular normal ammo, the kind you purchase twenty of per gold piece :)
I understand, but it does add to the game. It puts a realistic pressure on the player. Im not saying you actually make the player run out. Honestly Ive been dming for over 20 years and never have I heard any complaints of ammo tracking. Infact people I played with thought it weird when 4th edition kinda waved it away.

Remove ads