• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Eldritch Knight + Magic Initiate feat

TheSwartz

Explorer
If an Eldritch Knight gained the Magic Initiate feat AND you chose the wizard class.

Would the result be that you add 2 cantrips to the table on page 75 of the PHB? i.e. at levels 3-9 you'd have 4 and for levels 10-20, you'd have 5 cantrips?

I think the second part of the feat is self explanatory; you gain a single 1st level spell specific to this feat (can only cast 1st level and can only cast once before long rest) which you could not modify regardless of your other spell level slots or other EK spellcasting abilities.

Klaus

First Post
Yeah, all posts here are correct.

I am fond of using the human feat at 1st level to "mimic" a character's future archetype (Magic Initiate for Eldritch Knights, Martial Initiate for Battlemasters). Let's you play with the character you want from Level 1.

Klaus

First Post
I don't see anything in Magic Initiate that says I can't be a full wizard, and take the feat for more wizard spells.

There's nothing in the feat that prevents it. Just be aware that the 1st-level spell you get from this feat isn't added to your spellbook, and you can only cast it 1/day (and only at 1st level).

TheSwartz

Explorer
I am fond of using the human feat at 1st level to "mimic" a character's future archetype (Magic Initiate for Eldritch Knights, Martial Initiate for Battlemasters). Let's you play with the character you want from Level 1.

exactly what I was going for :)

Thanks all!

Unless your table ruled that the spells you learn from the feat work like the multi-class rules, and you can still cast it using spell slots as normal. So, it might not be part of your spell book, but its permanently learned. I haven't seen any official word on the matter either way.

phantomK9

Explorer
I'm currently playing an human Eldritch Knight who took Magic Initiate at first level.
Everything works as you described it.

I also picked up Ritual Caster at 4th level.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Also bear in mind the Dragonmarked feat from UA (easily refluffed for other settings, "Runic/Tattoo Caster", or whatever).

Lots of thematic spells to choose from there to add to your Eldritch Knights spellcasting abilities.

Remove ads