D&D 5E Eldritch Knight

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Hi Folks,
I was thinking of playing a Dragonborn Eldritch Knight using a greatsword. I've read mixed reviews both on this subclass and this subclass with the Dragonborn. While I don't need to be overly optimized, I also don't want to be below average either (although in 5E that's probably less of a worry than in other versions of the game). I was just curious as to people's thoughts and any things to consider going this route. Thanks!!

Argyle King

Legend
I've found Eldritch Knight to be pretty good. Plate Armor + Shield spell is a good combo

My experience with the subclass was that I did not hit as hard as other classes, but my ability to tank was pretty good.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Thanks Kobold. I appreciate the response. I actually did see those two and a couple others. Their opinions of Dragonborn range from very good to "Blaahh" as I saw someone indicate on one. I would think at worst it would be middle of the road with the +2 strength bump. Also, it seems as if prior to SCAG, the class didn't really get 'effective' until late levels but SCAG does help with some of the cantrips (i.e. Booming Blade etc). I was just hoping to hear what people thought from actual play (better yet play with a Dragonborn - lol)...

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Tank pretty good is a good thing. That's kind of what I'm looking for. Big dude with a big sword moving into the middle and 'tanking' the enemy. The breath weapon to help swarms etc and maybe a resistance to fire so that if an FB is dropped on me, it's less of an issue - lol.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I think Eldritch knight is the most versatile of the fighter subclasses, and with the shield spell the most defensive. Overall I think it's pretty great.

My only critiques of Dragonborn are the breath weapon not scaling that great, and that I think they should have Darkvision. That being said I certainly have seen effective Dragonborn characters in play.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
You'll be fine. Another race might eke out a minor advantage here and there, but you'll be plenty effective, and it's a nice thematic combination.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I play with someone who plays a Dragonborn and I run a game with someone as an Eldritch Knight.

The Dragonborn race seems fine. Her breath attack (which is probably the signature ability) rarely if ever gets used. I don't recall it being used more than twice in two years of play. Outside of that, I haven't seen the race add much of anything special. Around the forums I don't typically hear Dragonborn mentioned in the same breath as "OP" or "Optimized", so if you go that route then it should be for flavor and building a specific character more than anything else.

The Eldritch Knight is a bit harder to pin down. The EK in the game I run is virtually impossible to hit. He has maximized armor with a shield, the Defensive Fighting Style, and the spells like Shield or Blur. At his level he *could* do the Blade Ward + Attack combo via War Magic, but he usually opts for the double attack instead...since nothing hits him anyways. As a damage dealer he is alright, and he does make use of some Utility spells (mainly Identify). I think going EK and taking a Two-Hander approach is probably more fun than the Sword & Shield option. Although personally, I don't think the EK has enough "Magic" for my style of Gish because it really does seem like a 90/10 split in favor of martial.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Hmmm - I'm surprised the breath attack isn't used at all. That's interesting. I'm going to go greatsword and probably Great Weapon Master just for the heck of it perhaps too...

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Hmmm - I'm surprised the breath attack isn't used at all. That's interesting. I'm going to go greatsword and probably Great Weapon Master just for the heck of it perhaps too...

Greatswords are awesome. The great Weapon Master Feat is also awesome, though i find the Great weapon Fighting Style to be a little Lackluster. I typically go Defense fighting style on my Great Weapon Fighters, but that's strictly personal preference.

Regarding breath weapon, it takes getting a few baddies together for it to be worth not taking the attack action in my opinion, and as you get more and more attacks as a fighter, it will be even more situational.

Still, you never know when you'll run into a Lycanthrope and that big ole Greatsword will be all kinds of useless (Happened to my friend's level 1 Dragonborn paladin). Suddenly Breath Weapon is not such a bad idea.

Remove ads