Elements of Magic. . . for Psi?

danzig138

Explorer
So I was looking through EoM. Pretty cool. Don't know if I'd replace that standard D&D system with it, but I can certainly see it for some other settings I use - I have an idea for it and Dark Sun. But I was wondering if there is any similar product for psionics?

And if not, if anyone can recommend good d20 variant psi rules - cheap though, I'm poor folk. :)

Thaniel

First Post
Having read EoM, I can't think of any reason it couldn't work "as is" for psionics. Just call it 'Psionics' and be done with it.

With EoM I would suggest a tradition that more models the Psi aspects. In general Psi is more about personal buffs and knowledge than it is flashy explosions...

Since EoM is a mechanics based system, you can add pretty much any roleplaying description on them. Perhaps limiting Evokes and Creates, focusing more on the Infuse...
Boost the cost for non-personal spells and you have a pretty close match.

But really, it depends on how you see Psionics, not my flavour :)

Owldragon

First Post
Lyceian Arcana is a supplement for Elements of Magic, and it has some rules for different traditions and variations. One of those is a tradition that has a psionics-type flavor, and there is a feat that basically lets you use psionic focus (which was "borrowed" from core psionics) to get rid of the verbal and somatic components. You could use something like that, if you like the general framework of EoM. Also, as somebody mentioned, you could disallow some spell lists if they didn't fit the flavor that you want.

Alternatively, if you want a system that's completely different, I also agree that The Psychic's Handbook from Green Ronin might be worth checking out. That has a very interesting skill-based system. It really depends on what you're looking for.

danzig138

Explorer
Has to feel different

I thought about just using EoM straight for psi. Decided not to, since the psi and the magic will sit together in the setting. Because of that, I'd like for them to have more than just fluff differences. If they use the exact same mechanics, but with the names changed, that doesn't work for my particular vision. I'm looking for something that represents psionics in a mechanic different from magic - I want it to feel different, not just sound different. But at the same time, I don't want the cookie-cutter approach of XPH, so I'm looking for a more freeform system.

A skills and feats system might work, so I'll look into the GR book. Thanks.

Depending on how fantastic you want the Psi to be, Ken Hood had a SKills-n-Feats Psionics system that is very intensive.. IMC its a +1 LA as the system does let you to do some nasty stuff... definately different feel.

Good side is that it is free :)
Bad side is that his web site folded.. I have a copy floating around somewhere here if you are interested.

Other option would be Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth, which is a skills based EoM.

danzig138

Explorer
Primitive Screwhead said:
Good side is that it is free :)
Bad side is that his web site folded.. I have a copy floating around somewhere here if you are interested.
Sure.
danzig138
at
lycos<dot>com

Other option would be Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth, which is a skills based EoM.
Cool. I'll look into that as well.

Remove ads