Elements of Magic. . . for Psi?

GQuail

Explorer
danzig138 said:
I thought about just using EoM straight for psi. Decided not to, since the psi and the magic will sit together in the setting. Because of that, I'd like for them to have more than just fluff differences. If they use the exact same mechanics.

Well, Divine and Arcane become just a fluff difference in EoM, which is pretty different to core rules D&D: not as radical as the Psionic ruleset changes, but the fact your "cleric" can be just as good a fireball hurler as your "wizard" doesn't seem to get people down. :)

But yeah, I dunno how you could use EoM and make Psionics notably different, unless you had some specific traditions assembled for them. Mythic Earth, as mentioned, is a skills based version of EoM, and could be something worth looking at.

If you do use Mythic Earth, there are two revisions I suggest you make for balance sake. These did not come up in my game until after I'd published the book.

First, any spell with a duration of 10 minutes or longer should incur a -1 penalty to spellcasting checks, as should things like teleportation and divination that drastically shorten the amount of time it normally takes to accomplish something. Moving 100 miles by car takes a while, but teleporting does it instantaneously. Researching takes a long time, but divination lets you just think of the question and get the answer. So for any spell with a duration of 10 minutes or longer, or for any spell above 4th level that involves teleporting, divining, or knowing the future, have it incur a -1 penalty to spellcasting checks for the rest of the day, regardless of whether the spell succeeds.

Second, I made Cure way too expensive. It should cost 3 levels to heal 1d6 damage. However, I recommend Cure also incur a -1 spellcasting penalty, to keep it in check.

For psionics, you could use Mythic Earth to thematically represent the idea that your willpower and concentration directs your power, and as you exert yourself you can always keep trying, but eventually the strain on your mind becomes too great.

Started to toss off an email, then realized both the addresses given may not be valid... due to the space in the name and the 'ca'...

So.. My House Rules Page has both Ken's Martial Arts and Psionics files posted. Ignore the campaign specific material.

I hope he doesn't mind... :)

Remove ads