Empire Of the River God IC

Someone

Adventurer
Ghostknight said:
Shokai

"Shokai, you have seen the messenger?"

The voice behind you is that of the master Tattooer.

"Undoubtedly, he has been and you have been shown the peril of the world. Many moons ago this was foretold. We did not know it would be you, but perhaps this is the fate that will be written into your flesh.

When the messenger returns, you are expected to go with him. We do not know why you were chosen, for there are many more knowledgable and trained than you that would have desired this honor. Go and do what must be done. Remember, the stone in the water is worn down, but the leaf floats."

Behind you you hear something being placed on the ground followed by receding footsteps.

The revelation... and his connection to the man that keeps the shadows at bay.

Why did they choose me? Am I the descendant of an ancient hero? Where am I going?

No. Reasoning won´t show me the way, it will only show me many ways. The master is right: I must flow like a leaf, not fight like a fish.

Shokai then turns and examines what´s behind him.

Ghostknight

First Post
Sakura

The days pass and you ponder the information given tp you by the priest.

Centuries ago a guardian was stationed at the juncure between the Shadow and the Empire. His role is to maintian the net that stops the Shadow from spreading. It is foretold that when the Guardian nears death he will summon to him those that would be his Champions, none know how he chooses, merely that the Champions must respond or doom will come to the world, the Shadow released and overwhelming the Empire and the rest of the world.

You have been chosen, and I beg you to go and help us all- for it is only the Guardian's chamions that can suceed in his task, regardless of the power and might of others that would volunteer to take their place.

Three days. The time passes and the messenger returns...

Zokiro

The days pass. Around the palace servants go, court is held and soldiers are drilled and practiced. The Daimyo has excused you from all duties, expecting you to ready yourself for the return of the messenger.

You do so, the stables ensuring Joukai is as presentable as if he were preparing for a parade in front of the Emperor. Miko carefully prepares your travel garments and ensures the banner is clean and presentable, as befits a token of the clan from the Daimyo himself. In that time the houshold priest comes to you.

Bowing Hidioshi greets you

"Sakura, you will bring greet honor to the clan. ou go to do the bidding of the Guardian of Reality, a representative of the great Celestial Court. Much hidden knowledge flows from his place and none of our clan have ever been there. Let us know what you find, for surely such a place must contain much knowledge we can use."

Nothing else happens, until the return of the messenger...

Amanu

The great celebration finishes. Life returns to normal and you begin preparing for the return of the messenger. Side long glances get levelled at you, many of the tribe wondering why you go to do the bidding of the human.

The night before the expected return of the messenger the fires are lit, the drums beaten and Sitha sings. She sings a song of the Shadow, of how it is kept contained and imprisoned by one man. By one servant of nature that gives of himself to stop the invasion of the unnatural, how his own spirit is used to feed the kami that stop the shadow. She sings how when this Guardian is no longer able to maintian his vigil, he summons to him those that he wishes to be his Champion. She sings that this is now happening and that the summonsed one is no other than Amanu, shaman and tribal member. She sings that in the morning when he leaves, the tribe will fast for three days, foregoing their own natures in orderthat their kami may strengthen Amanu on his journey, just as Amanu must go to strengthen the kami of the Guardian.

After the story the tribe is silent. The each walks past you, touching you, whicpering words of support and going to their homes. No more do they wonder and much food and not a few travel goods are laid outside your door, to ensure that your going will be eased.

In the morning, the messenger returns...

Akata

The monastery remains busy and the mundane life continues. yasushi spends mre time researching, trying to find the origins of the brief legends he has found. But no further light is shed, until the arrival of a travelling mystic, his feet bare, who approaches you during the mid day meal.

"Holy one. I see that you have been summonsed by the one who guards us all. Your aura burns with the thread that leads to him, even as other threads have been snapped and cannot be made anew. Go to the Guardian Holy One, he is the protector of all. Remember Holy one, the Shadow is as strong as the absence of the light, but with no light, the Shadow itself is defeated."

He turns and leaves, speaking no further, merely exiting the monastery and walking out into the mid day heat.

Two days later the messenger returns...

Shokai

While waiting for the return of the messenger, your master and the Tattoo master spend a lot of time with you, talking and discussing the Shadow and the Guardian. You do not learn much that is new about the Shadow, but you learn of the Guardian, he who sits at the center of the web that maintians the Empire on the border of the Shadow.

You als realise that both your Master and the Tattoo Master would gladly take on this quest but dare not as they are not the ones summonsed. The night before you leave your Master comes to you.

"Shokai, know you go with my blessing and that of all within the order. You go to do something that will be legendary, though perhaps no one will ever hear of it. Let it come within you. Let it shape you. Learn from all, for who knows what it is that the Guardian will need of you?"

In the morning, as the sun rises, the messenger returns...

Iegara

The three days are eventful. Knowing you will be gone soon, you are dragged into every meeting, into every practice session and into drinking parlor. It seems that there is no secret of your coming departure, the enigmatic messenger had been seen by too many. But what is not expected is the sudden silence from the monk at the ancestral shrine. Normally he is everywhere, recently he has been absent and seems to have dissapeared.

Tewo days after the messenger has been, he reppears, dishevelled, eyes black from lack of sleep, clothing torn and ripped. Initially he is delirious, one word only coming out, your name. Eventually you go to his bedside, his eyes focus on you and his voice grows strong

In the dark dissent grows
In the light hope dies
In the Shadow hope grows

Go to where the spirits play
Go to where the spirits die
Go to where the spirits cry

He then closes his eyes and dies. None can see any discernable reason for his death, but the house is preparing for his funeral when the messenger reappears...

All

The messenger appears, fading back into existence much as he faded out.

Bowing he extends his hands.

"Are you ready to come with me? If so, take me to where we shall leave and I will take you to where you should be."

rangerjohn

Explorer
Amanu gives thanks and benediction to each of the villagers as they pass. When the ceremony is over, he approaches the great shaman, and asks "Is there any further enlightenment, you can give me in this great one?"

When he is through with his meeting, he returns to his tree, to rest for the journey ahead. He rises early to greet the messenger the next morn.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Togashi Shokai, non-tatooed monk.

Ghostknight said:
"Shokai, know you go with my blessing and that of all within the order. You go to do something that will be legendary, though perhaps no one will ever hear of it. Let it come within you. Let it shape you. Learn from all, for who knows what it is that the Guardian will need of you?"

Shokai replies humbly: "I´ll live it as I learned within these walls, from those wiser than I: accepting life as it comes without questioning it."

"Are you ready to come with me? If so, take me to where we shall leave and I will take you to where you should be."

Shokai stands up and bows too. "Yes, as always" replies.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
The days pass. Around the palace servants go, court is held and soldiers are drilled and practiced. The Daimyo has excused you from all duties, expecting you to ready yourself for the return of the messenger.

You do so, the stables ensuring Joukai is as presentable as if he were preparing for a parade in front of the Emperor. Miko carefully prepares your travel garments and ensures the banner is clean and presentable, as befits a token of the clan from the Daimyo himself. In that time the houshold priest comes to you.

Bowing Hidioshi greets you

"Sakura, you will bring greet honor to the clan. ou go to do the bidding of the Guardian of Reality, a representative of the great Celestial Court. Much hidden knowledge flows from his place and none of our clan have ever been there. Let us know what you find, for surely such a place must contain much knowledge we can use."

Nothing else happens, until the return of the messenger...
"I thank you Enlightened one. I will remember what I see, and tell all that I can to the clan when I return."

"I am ready," she says. Zokiro looks far different now than she did when she was at court. Laced into her armor, her daisho at her side, and her heaven lotus phoenix tail in her hand, and perched atop her storm-gray warhorse, she presents a proper (if small) picture of a Dragon samurai.

*Bunto and Miko follow on their mules as Zokiro leads them to the lands outside of the palace.*

"I am ready."

Sakura made sure to arrange have the messenger's horse and belonging readied for him. When he appears, she is relaxing, fully dressed and attired for travel.

She rises and leads him to where his mount is ready and where her belongings are readied. She steps into the kago and it is lifted onto the shoulders of her kago-men.

"Lead me, then, to the destiny the spirits have foretold."

Karl Green

First Post
Kuni Akata, Shugenja

Ghostknight said:
Akata

The monastery remains busy and the mundane life continues. yasushi spends mre time researching, trying to find the origins of the brief legends he has found. But no further light is shed, until the arrival of a travelling mystic, his feet bare, who approaches you during the mid day meal.

"Holy one. I see that you have been summonsed by the one who guards us all. Your aura burns with the thread that leads to him, even as other threads have been snapped and cannot be made anew. Go to the Guardian Holy One, he is the protector of all. Remember Holy one, the Shadow is as strong as the absence of the light, but with no light, the Shadow itself is defeated."

He turns and leaves, speaking no further, merely exiting the monastery and walking out into the mid day heat.

Two days later the messenger returns...

Without hesitation, Akata takes the messengers hand saying "I am ready"

Remove ads