• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Empowered Evocation plus Magic Missile?

I hope they make the errata clear by adding the line limiting it to once per target, in Empowered Evocation, instead of forcing people to look up twitter posts at the table.

It's ironic that customer interactions in the other thread from Mortal Kombat using twitter is considered a good template, but to find game rules, twitter is pretty bad. It was not designed to be a suitable repository of game rules or rulings or errata. For one, there aren't even enough characters in a tweet to even adequately publish a revision to a rule.

On that note, is there an official date yet for errata coming out?

I get that D&D is looking to keep it's rules advisory rather than orthodox. But given how outstanding WotC has been with maintaining official rules FAQs for other products like Magic and the old Star Wars Miniatures, I'm surprised they haven't put up some official clarifications for D&D - though it's not a competitive game like those others. In particular these rulings would be nice for AL players who do need consistency between their events.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I understand it to mean you add it to the spell...

so I have an 18 int and cast Fireball, I do 8d6+4 damage (roll 26+4=30) everyone in the AOE rolls a dex save take 30 or 15...
same wizard casts magic missle and throws 3 missles at 2 targets, 1 gets hit for 2d4+6, the other 1d4+5... or 1 target for 3d4+7 either way all targets take 4pts (or 2 on a save) more then if a non evoker cast the spell

my girlfriend tried to argue it was AFTER the save for fireball, and as such the roll 26 would be 30 if you miss it and 17 if you make it... I don't understand her though on why

That is how we play it. We like to keep it simple.

Finalone

First Post
This has been answered by Jeremy Crawford ruling that empowered evocation is added to each missile.

Unfortunately I am unable to post the links since this forum doessent let new users post links

Basically each missile does the sum of your 1d4+1+modifiers that you only role once and therefore the modifier affects all missiles

Noah Ivaldi

First Post
That is neither what he said, nor what he published officially. See my response above. This horse is dead. Don't try to animate and transmute it.

Finalone

First Post
If you read the tweets including the full conversation below you will see that is not the case

mobile.twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/610955844918886400

mobile.twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557820938402947072

Degwerks

First Post
If you read the tweets including the full conversation below you will see that is not the case

mobile.twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/610955844918886400

mobile.twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557820938402947072

Thanks a bunch for posting these Veratyr. For those unable to read the Twitter posts from Jeremy Crawford, he confirms that Magic Missile is Unique in it's ability to use Empowered Evocation to apply +X Int bonus to each missile despite what the PHB errata says for the ability.

Dausuul

Legend
Er... I'm confused now. Is he saying that you roll 1d4+1 (plus Empowered Evocation) once, and then apply that same damage total to each missile? That's the only way I can make sense out of Crawford's tweets. But that seems like a highly unintuitive reading of the text of the spell; the obvious reading is that you roll for each missile.

Without some clarification, I'm going to ignore Twitter and go with the official errata: You get your Int bonus on one damage roll, meaning one missile.

Noctem

Explorer
Right so based on the tweets:

You cast Magic Missile.
Spend the relevant action to cast the spell
Perform any material, vocal or somatic requirements to cast the spell
finish casting the spell
resolve the effects of successfully casting the spell

Pick target(s)
roll damage ONCE with all the relevant modifiers
apply that damage roll a number of times to the target(s) up to a maximum based on the number of missiles.

So if you cast it as a level 1 slot, you get 3 missiles. Roll damage with empowered evocation and +4 int modifer = 1d4+1+4 damage roll. Say that damage roll total = 6 force damage. If you only target 1 creature, you would deal 6x3 = 18 force damage total with each missile hitting simultaneously. If you target 2 creatures with one and two missiles, it would be 6 for one and 12 for the second simultaneously. Or 3 targets each take 6 force damage each simultaneously.

This is unique to Magic Missile of course.

Remove ads