• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Empty vessels? Super power humans?

animewatcha

First Post
Eberron campaign setting. Page 291. Empty vessels as player characters. Am I getting this right in that these guys get -2 str +2 dex +2 int +4 wis +4 cha. A few knacks of the human race with a few extra goodies?

Is this correct? If true, how does one make this into a lawful good character ( going into non-eberron settings. hurray for crossovers )? Amnesia approach?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Eberron campaign setting. Page 291. Empty vessels as player characters. Am I getting this right in that these guys get -2 str +2 dex +2 int +4 wis +4 cha. A few knacks of the human race with a few extra goodies?

Is this correct? If true, how does one make this into a lawful good character ( going into non-eberron settings. hurray for crossovers )? Amnesia approach?

I'm not that up on Eberron, but there's no reason you can't have some berk on that world get hipped through a portal and start his adventuring career banging around Sigil till he finds a portal to a planet he liks better...

Loonook

First Post

In a word, no.

Empty Vessels are just that. They are not filled with a spirit of Dal Quor, and because of this do not gain the Dual Spirit/Dual Mind powers. If and only IF they can take on a spirit they would be able to boost their skills in such a manner. The listing of skills on the Inspired Empty Vessel is just to tell you that these are what the Quori and their mortal servants bred to be a 'normal' vessel.

Now, there is no reason that, with DMs permission, you are not a host for another type of entity. I've had a player who was angel-infused in a game using similar tactics, but there must always be a mind to balance to prevent you from just getting excellent skills immediately.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I don't think the entry is stating the stat adjustments, it reads in part under the Empty Vessels As Characters heading, "Humans born and raised on Sarlona to become the Inspired recieve special training and education. and they are remarkable individuals in their own right. Empty vessels generally have the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 8, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 15."

I think what this means is, unlike other "(X race) as characters" entries that lists racial adjustments that factor into what it would be like to make a customized member of that race, Empty Vessels themselves are so bred and controlled in how they are developed that Those specific stats are what nearly every Empty Vessel individual would have starting out.

I don't understand why the wording says "Humans" at first and then "...before racial adjustments" later as if the Empty Vessel could be something other than Human, perhaps this allows for human variants with stat mods that I can't think of right now. I do know once possessed by a Quori their mental stats change, it could mean something as simple at this, but then you are no longer looking at an Empty Vessel as a PC.

Also, note that an Empty Vessel is a +1 LA.

The fluff of the Empty Vessel indicates a race of individuals who live their lives for the day that maybe they will be possessed and their will subverted when a Quori spirit takes over their body. No doubt there can be exceptions of those who rebel and flee this fate, no doubt leading to an adventuring lifestyle and making use of the other racial bonuses, but there is nothing I see in the text that suggests they get the stat adjustments you described.

Remove ads