• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EN World City Project: NPC Submissions

Lalato

Adventurer
I hope you have Thora living in the Spuats outside the city... There is no way they're going to allow a Bugbear or an Ogre inside the city walls... especially one that is controlled by a witch...

Still... I really like the concept... (he said with an evil laugh)... :D

--sam

Conaill

First Post
Yeah, definitely outside the walls. If the PC's ever find themselves in the area between the trade route and the river, they're bound to cross into her territory...

Thora is True Neutral and not really interested in anything outside her little part of the Squats and her "Children". However, she is gradually starting to loose her mind (one to many witches brew?), so that neutrality could change at any time. :D

I'll be adding some more descriptions to Thora and her "children" as inspirations strikes.

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
Tonguez said:
Oh and I still want Pommy attached to Thora in someway - perhaps he is also one of her babies now all grown up and left home:)

Thora is growing short on both memory and sanity, so it is unlikely she would remember Pommy. However, Pommy could still make use of his reputation as being one of Thora's Children - and thus not to be messed with. If he actually needs something from her, he'll have to come petition her like anybody else, and run the same risks. He does have the advantage of knowing how to deal with Thora, i.e. very carefully!

That sound good? You get a Reputation, and a little leg up in getting any help from Thora, but no other freebies...

If you like it, I'll add it to Thora's ever-growing writeup.

Last edited:

jdavis

First Post
Let the Bugbear just wander around doing odd task for Thora, it makes it look all the odder that she has a Bugbear to do her laundry, I like the Ogre as her protector better. Her incroaching age and loss of memory adds to the Bugbears oddness, maybe she has him doing bizare things for her (you know like doing the laundry). Also a Bugbear would be allowed into town (it does have a monsterous element to the population and a Bugbear is just a big goblin) the Ogre would not be allowed in. He could run errands like a delivery boy for her. I envision his as a sort of odd glassy eyed thrall who has no will but to do task laid out for him by Thora. Maybe she was too nice to kill him way back when he first attacked the town or maybe she just wanted to use him. Heck maybe he is the connection to Paddy, maybe she sent him to work in the muck pits and "be a good boy".

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Conaill said:

Thora is growing short on both memory and sanity, so it is unlikely she would remember Pommy. However, Pommy could still make use of his reputation as being one of Thora's Children - and thus not to be messed with. If he actually needs something from her, he'll have to come petition her like anybody else, and run the same risks. He does have the advantage of knowing how to deal with Thora, i.e. very carefully!

That sound good? You get a Reputation, and a little leg up in getting any help from Thora, but no other freebies...

If you like it, I'll add it to Thora's ever-growing writeup.

I like this idea alot

Write it up and we'll see how it goes -thank you:)

as to the Ogre I too am a bit weary of the idea of a Large Giant running around the city - much more comfortable with a monstrous humanoid -but hey you do what feels good baby:D...

Conaill

First Post
Ok, I'll add that bit to Thora's post. And don't worry, there's no way that ogre would be running around inside the city. Thora is quite stationary, and *outside* of the walls, and her cohort is not leaving her side for any reasons.

Of course, if a DM decides to give her visions and send the two of them into the city to deliver a crazy prophecy to the Council, that's their business! :D

David Argall

First Post
stat points

If we are going to have stat blocks, we need some guidelines for total stats of the NPCs. Just letting eveybody guess at what is acceptable has obvious flaws.
May I suggest...
1st level has 63 total in the 6 stats. Every additional level has one additional stat point, reaching 82 if we decide to allow a 20th level.
The additional state point was not gained. It was what allowed the NPC to reach the higher levels.
The totals are far from absolute and may vary widely for good story purposes, but they do give us guidelines

GladiusNP

First Post
Tatiana Vladmin Female human Barbarian 3.

Tatiana has a strong, stubborn nature. Born in the north, in the same village as Treygar Wolfgard, she was exiled to Mor’s End, along with the rest of the Order of the Storm. She is a proud warrior, a woman who enjoys both fighting and competing, and now belongs to the city guard – one of their more promising recruits.

Tatiana’s tendency towards being headstrong has been a problem for most of her life – but has also served her well. The eldest daughter in family of girls, her father encouraged her competitive nature, and eventually managed to get her position in the Order of the Storm. As one of the few female members of the Order of the Storm, she is fiercely loyal to Styria Wolfgard – one of the few members of the Order to remain with him, though has accepted employment with the city guard for the mean time. Although she intends to return with Styria to help him in his quest for his birthright, she is beginning to truly settle in to Mor’s End, especially now that she belongs to Saul’s company.

She holds the rangers of the outlands in some contempt – she doesn’t have much use for woodcraft, and has even less respect for the northerners who have moved to the rangers. She considers them to have given up their heritage – something that she clings to very tightly.

Very beautiful in ‘a northern way’ Tatiana is still slightly intimidating to most men. Taller than most Mor Enders, and stronger than most as well, she is somewhat of an oddity to most of the city’s residents. She usually wears a white fur cloak, over a guard’s uniform and chain mail. Around her arm, she wears a silver armband, inlaid with jasper, and engraved with runic script. She carries, thrust into her broad leather belt, a throwing axe, and usually has her warhammer in her hands. She usually carries a large oaken shield, a field of white with a silver forked lightning bolt on its’ face. She takes every opportunity to point out the shortcomings of Saul’s sword – claiming her hammer is the better weapon. She has red-blond hair, which she keeps cut short (usually just to her eyes), and has clear, grey eyes. She is muscular, but not overly so.

She has trained hard with Saul, and though he considers her slightly too independent, he gets on well with her. For Tatiana, she has become very close to Saul – he’s the one man who could keep her in Mor’s End when Styria returns to the north. Unfortunately, Saul doesn’t really feel the same way about Tatiana. He still considers himself as a mentor and commander, and even if he were attracted to Tatiana, his honour wouldn’t allow him to have an affair with a subordinate. Tatiana usually stays back, watching whoever is talking to, or being searched by Saul. She has saved Saul from being stabbed on two occasions, once by a drunken half-orc, who was enraged by Saul’s request for papers, and once by a smuggler, who was desperately trying to escape after Saul pulled a crate of counterfeit pottery out from his wagonload of straw.

Tatiana gets on well with the rest of the squad. Young Jacob is half in love with her, and Shelly has taught Tatiana how to read some basic texts – though nothing difficult yet. Nelim’s sense of humour is very strange to Tatiana, but she considers the gnome to be very wise – he is a wizard, after all. She spends most of her time in her off-duty with them, or with the Order of the Storm. She can drink any other guard in the squad under the table, but usually doesn’t fare so well against Styria’s legendary thirst. She also has begun training in swordplay, and is a keen runner – usually found competing in any race held in the city. She is, however, contemptuous of horses – she even dislikes the mules going through the gates. Unlike most of the Order of the Storm, she isn’t much of a hunter – though she’s athletic, she prefers to compete against humans, not animals.

Tatiana Vladmin: Female Human, Bar3; HD 3d12+12; hp 36; Init +2; Spd 30; AC 18; +5 melee, +5 base ranged; +7 (1d8+2, MW Warhammer [Wolf’s Tooth]), +5 (1d6+2 (in 30 ft) Throwing Axe – RI 10 ft); SQ: Uncanny Dodge (Cannot loose Dex bonus), and Rage (+6 HP, +4 Str, +4 Con, +2 Will, -2 AC, lasts eight rounds); AL CG; SV Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +0; STR 15, DEX 14, CON 18, INT 11, WIS 9, CHA 15.
Skills: Climb +7, Jump +7, Swim +8 (not including encumbrance), Intimidate +8, Listen + 5.
Feats: Weapon Focus (Warhammer), Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush.
Possessions: MW Chain mail – a gift from her father, this fine chain shirt is studded with occasional links of silver – which causes it to shimmer in battle.
Wolf-skin cloak - Made of winter wolf fur, this cloak was won by Tatiana in an athletic competition in the north. Her victory in this race lead to her eventual acceptance into the Order of the Storm.
MW warhammer – Wolf’s Tooth. A fine weapon, Wolf’s Tooth was forged in the caverns of the north, quenched in the icy flow of a mountain stream, and first blooded in the snow of winter. The weapon of her father’ father, Tatiana was given this hammer by her father when she left his house to make her way in the world. It is cold-forged from deep black iron. The balance is very fine, and there is a wicked spike coming off the bottom of the haft, of the same dark metal. The shaft is whale bone, carved with scrimshaw designs and runic script, and bleached to a brilliant white.

Tactics - Saul uses Tatiana as his lieutenant. He’s more than capable in his own right, but has begun working with Tatiana in a tandem method of fighting – where he defends her with his shield and sword, and she dashes in to do the real damage with her hammer, usually trying for a knockdown. She takes the extra points of attack bonus from her rage and from the bless/protection from evil spells Saul uses, and puts them into damage.

Lalato

Adventurer
David Argall... You bring up an excellent point... It wouldn't be very realistic if every NPC has above average stats.

I would go further and say it depends on class also... NPC classes (Com, Exp, Ari, War, etc.) probably have lower stats than PC classes.

--sam

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads