• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enemy Among Us (DM: Stringbean2142, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]That is an excellent point. I did not think of that.

I guess I was thinking that people would most likely start with their best available power, and I wanted to make sure they had high chance of criting. I forgot to consider AP's. [/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
D:rant::rant:N IT ALL KENDRICK! BE CAREFUL WITH THOSE Z... VICTIMS! The wizards hands come down off his ears, *wasn't helping anyway* he thinks as he attempts getting comfortable with the mental sandpaper.

I'M LOATHE TO ADMIT, BUT THIS THING IS A NATURAL WONDER! I'M QUIVERING WITH ANTICIPATION OVER IT'S STUDY!

Veruzak nimbly pulls his orb and rolls it onto his left hand palm, over his fingers, down his left arm, up his right arm, over his fingers and into his right hand palm. Then he reaches back and seemingly tosses the orb into the middle of the cave, mid-air it explodes into a fiery inferno.

[sblock=Evil Eladrin Wizard]

Another evil eladrin wizard pulling the same trick ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_IcWf8EVjU[/ame]

[/sblock]

The shadar-kai raised eladrin bows to Martelai, and offers him the floor. YOUR TURN SKY-WATCHER!

[sblock=OOC]

Minor Perception +7

Move pull orb

Scorching Burst, area burst 2 on L10 (Altitude 1up), +5 vs. Reflex vs Husk 50, Hivelord, and Broodlord.
Hit: 1d6+3 due to enlarged fire damage

No Action Knowledge checks on all monsters.

Arcana +12
Dungeoneering +7
History +12
Nature +2
Religion +5
[/sblock]

Last edited:

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Catein moves forward into the chamber, seemingly heedless of the goo and Veruzak's less-coherent-than-usual babbling and screaming. Spotting a swarm of the tiny being in close proximity to a converted smuggler, Catein causes chains to explode from the ground in that area, grasping and flailing at everything they can reach.

"Come on, let's put an end to this nonsense."

[sblock=Actions]
Move: to F6
Standard: Grasping Shards at G13, +4 vs Fort on swarm 97 (Fort 14) and Husk 81 (Fort 13). If hit, the minion will obviously die. If the swarm is hit, it will take 14 damage and be slowed.
[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
CATEIN RESTRAIN THE VICTIMS, ACCORDING TO ATLAS AND BELL THERE STILL HUMAN! Veruzak has obvious other reasons for wanting the husks intact, but for now he appeals to Catein's better components.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
ooc: The fluff is a little out of order, because it sounds better like this.

The maggoty creature shudders disturbingly under Bell's assault, but it appears to be turning its attention to Kendrick...

Kendrick's axe catches its target right in the head, splitting the wretched man's skull open. Before the mercenary can make a sarcastic comment, however, he finds that his tongue is no longer under his control. Neither are his arms or legs, apparently, since he awkwardly stumbles over to Bell and kicks her in the ribs.

Both the man and the maggot are caught by Veruzak's flames, but the spider is able to scuttle out of the way. The spider makes its way to the mouth of the cave and rears back on its hind pairs of legs. A volley of crystalline needles fly at Atlas and Kendrick, but wondrously the two are untouched, and the needles shatter uselessly against the stone wall.

From farther back in the room a man staggers around a corner and into view. His skin and tattoos mark him as another smuggler, but he is wearing robes that look as though they would be rather impressive if they were washed. He lurches forward and forks his fingers at the party. Bolts of lightning lash out from his fingertips, catching both Atlas and Catein.

The tiny creatures dive into the sludge, avoiding Catein's chains. They move up the wall and over to Bell, moving through the material as though they were swimming with a swift current. They burst out all around the bard, but she is able to avoid their tiny maws.

The other cluster skitters across the cavern towards Catein, but they are unable to engulf the strange construct.

[sblock=It would be super awesome if only Bell and Catein read this.][sblock=And even they should only read it when they're about to take their next turn.][sblock=Seriously, I'd appreciate it.]While the goo on the floor is harmless, the stuff on the wall is much thicker, and much more potent. You find yourself becoming nauseated and disoriented just by standing so close. Bell is visibly affected, while Catein is able to push through it.

[sblock=Translation]Whenever you start your turn adjacent to a red wall (corners don't count) it makes an attack at +4 vs Will. On a hit, you are slowed and grant combat advantage until the end of your next turn. Bell was hit, Catein was missed. Once you've read this, feel free to share it with the others.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Status]Initiative:
Bell (19/25)
Kendrick (31/31, dominated)
Veruzak (15/20)
Catein (21/27)
Broodlord (-15, critted on an 18-20)
Hiveguard
Mage
Swarm 15
Swarm 97
Atlas (17/26)
Martelai (28/28, Concealed)

Kendrick crits the minion. Good job.

Veruzak perceives at a level of 21. Scorching Burst non-lethals the minion with a roll of 18 and hits the Broodlord with a roll of 13 (5 damage), but misses the Hiveguard and the Broodlord with a roll of 4. I'd like to note that the latter is reachable by from the ground. No more elevation tricks from me.

The result of the plethora of knowledge checks is... nothing! Like Stringbean said before, part of this adventure's premise is that you've never heard of these things before.

Catein misses the swarm, with a roll of 5.

The Broodlord uses Dominate on Kendrick, which hits Will 19. Kendrick is dominated until the end of the Broodlord's next turn.

The Hiveguard moves to H8 and attack Kendrick and Atlas with Psychic Spikes, but it fails to roll over a 5.

The mage makes his grand entrance and shoots lightning at Atlas, Catein, and Kendrik. The first is hit (Reflex 25) for 8 damage, the second is hit (Reflex 23) for 5 damage, and the third is missed (Reflex 9).

Swarm 15 charges Catien, but misses (Reflex 8). If Catien starts his turn adjacent to it, he will be hit (Reflex 16) for 9 damage and immobilization.

Swarm 50 charges Bell, and also misses (Reflex 11). Its follow-up attack will also miss (Reflex 9).

On his turn, Kendrick charges Bell, hitting AC 23 for 6 damage.[/sblock]

[sblock=Monster Info]Broodlord:
AC 18 | Fort 16 | Reflex 14 | Will 17
HP: 76. Resist 5 Psychic
MBA: None.
Mental Feedback: Any adjacent creature who hits the Broodlord with an attack takes 3 psychic damage.
Immobile: The Broodlord cannot move or be moved. Ever.

Hiveguard:
AC 15 | Fort 12 | Reflex 13 | Will 11
HP: 47
MBA: +6 vs AC, 1d10+2 damage.

Mage:
AC 17 | Fort 13 | Reflex 14 | Will 15
HP: 42
MBA: +4 vs AC, 1d8 damage.

Swarm:
AC 18 | Fort 14 | Reflex 15 | Will 12
HP: 37. Immune: Psychic. Half damage from melee and range attacks. Vulnerable 10 against close and area attacks
MBA: +6 vs Reflex, 1d8+3 damage, and the target is immobilized until the start of the swarm's next turn.
Swarm Aura: Any enemy who starts adjacent to the swarm is attacked with a MBA.[/sblock]

[sblock=Map Info]The disgusting ponds of goo have no effect. They are too shallow and not sticky enough to hinder you in any way.[/sblock]

Attachments

• Enc2_round1.jpg
    Enc2_round1.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 70

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Martelai observes the proceedings, noting Kendrick's apparent betrayal, but being more concerned with swarms that can swimm through stone. Other creatures can be constrained to attack fighters, but these, these need to be dealt with quickly. He sees Catein and Bell already occupied however and focuses his attention, and attention of his patron Caiphon, on the broodguard.

He moves between his companions taking position from which he can see most of the cavern. He then makes now familiar motions, hands making jaws and launching them toward the creature.

[sblock=Actions]
Move: to F8, maintain concealment
Minor: Curse Hiveguard
Standard: Eldritch Blast IC is down, +5 vs. Ref; 1d10+4 +1(if Atlas hits) damage; 1d6 curse damage
[/sblock]

OOC: I hope Atlas or mage won't do something to make me regret not using encounter power on the mage :)

[sblock=Stats]
AC: 12 Fort: 13 Reflex: 13 Will: 15
HP: 28/28 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7
AP: 1; Second Wind 1

FEATS
Level 1: Sacrifice to Caiphon

POWERS
Eldritch Blast
Dire Radiance

Dilettante: Cutting Words
Chains of Levistus

Decree of Khirad
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Atriden

First Post
Atlas moves closer to his target and drops his sword. quickly he gets his throwing Hammer and takes aim. " We will prevail and take down this beast. Concentrate and you will be able to inflict devastating blows to our foes " he says as he throws his hammer at the Hiveguard.

[sblock=Actions]
Move Action: Atlas moves to E8
Free Action: Drops his Sword
Minor Action: Pulls forth his trusty hammer
Standard Action: Uses his encounter power: Hammer Formation on Hiveguard. +6 ranged attack against AC and does 1d6+4 damage. If he hits, everybody except Catein and dominated Kendrick get +1 weapon damage on their next attack.
Action Point: Uses second his second wind
[/sblock]

[sblock=To All: Important]
If Atlas hits with his power: Hammer Formation, everybody except Kendrick and Catein do +1 weapon damage on their next attack.
[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
Veruzak gives Kendrick a nasty glare, KENDRICK!? the wizard hears a muffled something from Atlas, but isn't sure he heard correctly, WHAT?! he shouts over the "noise".

*This thing better be enlightening...*

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Catein seems off balance as the multitude of creatures swarm over, into, and through it. A chained hand reaches out to the wall for stabilization. Touching the goo there, the construct pulls its hand back quickly, as though it had touched something hot. Catein seems flustered by all these inputs, and chains flail out in every direction, reaching for the tiny swarmlings, grasping for the nearby hiveguard, and crashing into the walls and floor.

"The walls are... not good... for proper functioning..."

[sblock=actions, take 2]
it'd be awesome if the board didn't log me out between starting to reply and hitting "submit" this time...

annnyway:

start of turn, Catein takes 9 damage and goes to 12hp and is immobilized.
Minor: Warforged Resolve to go to 15 hp and gain 3 temp hp
Move: feh
Standard: Grasping Shards on H7. +4 vs Fort A hit on the Hiveguard (Fort12) is 4 dmg and slow for one turn. A hit on Swarm15 (Fort14) is 14 dmg and slow for one turn. Swarm gets an Opportunity Attack. roll well (for me, not the swarm)
Action Point: repeat Grasping Shards; no oppo this time, muahaha.

Also: Catein will use Armor of Wrath if the swarm hits him during the swarm's turn, doing 13 damage and pushing to I6.
[/sblock]

Remove ads