English-Elvish-English Language Translations: Requests Welcome

AineMoonRaven

First Post
Translation Request Please :eek:)

Just a quick request.... I was wondering how you would translate:

"MoonRaven"

I was also wondering if anyone might know how it would actually look when written in Tengwar...
Thanks sooo much!
:p

Azakiel

Explorer
An NPC in my campaign, and also my PC in another campaign is called Azakiel Moonshadow.
Azakiel comes from Azrael (Vow of God) and Ezekiel (Strength from God) and my my workings, that makes the name in Elven: Vesta'Poldora'Ithil'Dae - Strong vow moon shadow

Does that sound correct, and if not, what should it be?

Thanks
Azakiel

Angcuru

First Post
Strong Vow, and then Moon Shadow as in Moon's Shadow or Shadow of the Moon, then?

Vow(Promise) - vesta
Strong - thalion
Moon - Isil(sindarin)/Ithil(quenya)
Shadow - (sindarin) ath, dae, gwath, wath, weth (quenya) lumbule

Since quenya is the elven equivalent of our latin, as in it is the roots of the modern language, but used only in ceremony, names would largely be restricted to the modern I.E. sindarin.

So it would come out to

Vestathalion - Strong Vow
ves-tah-thahl-ee-on

Athisil (ah-thih-sihl), Daeisil (day-ih-sihl), Gwathisil (qwah-thih-sihl), Wathisil (wah-thih-sihl), Wethisil (Weh-thih-sihl) - Moon Shadow

So you would get Vestathalion for Strong Vow, and then you pick from any of the options for Moon Shadow for the surname. The names would be separated by a space, not apostrophes, as they are almost exclusively used in or following adverbs.

So you would have Vestathalion Daeisil if you were to choose the name closest to your original approximation.

Angcuru

First Post
No, I use the more reliable "The Languages of Middle-earth" when possible, which is the case here. The Grey Company is a mix of sindarin and quenya, not a pure language, but it's still believably consistant with what Tolkien provided.

Charon

First Post
If you're still around, I don't suppose I could squeeze a few translations from you? ^^

Lost beyond the Veil

Today without Tomorrow

Child of Brimstone
Crimson Tide

One with Cold eyes

And a phrase- "By sparing our enemies we shall conquer"

Last edited:

Remove ads