• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enterprise - 04/22/05 [Spoiler Talk]

I watched Enterprise when it first came on in '01. My friends actually all got together and watched it every Wed. night, and I taped the entire first season as we watched it every night, with slowly decreasing enthusiasm.

Then the Temporal Cold War became increasingly cliche, and just outright lame. Then they tried to spice things up with the Xindi, which just didn't work. Between a just plain lack of enjoyment and bad scheduling I watched Enterprise less and less.

Then I tune in last night for In a Mirror, Darkly. Just randomly channel surfing I catch the opener, thinking I stumbled across the end of First Contact. Then "What the #$&#@!?". It sure makes you think you stumbled into the mirror universe all right, and I watched the episode.

The first time I've watched an entire episode in more than a year. Also probably the best Enterprise episode I ever watched. Good writing, good acting, good effects, respectful nods to continuity and a good treatment of an established race.

If Enterprise had been like this earlier, it would have doubtless gone the full 7 seasons. Too bad Manny Coto came late to the party, it looks like he made it worth it.

Wycen

Explorer
Yeah, I totally forgot about Enterprise, despite watching last week and getting excited about another evil mirror universe episode, and channel surfed into the opening with Zephram Cochrane. Then he pulled out a gun and blasted the vulcan and I was like :confused: I was going to take a pee break but then the mirror universe opening started and I was rooted to the spot. BEST OPENING SEQUENCE EVAH! And hell, probably the best evil episode ever. I too didn't like the DS 9 version. I didn't like Evil Kira. And Yoyager didn't have them, or if they did they were forgettable.

mojo1701

First Post
Wycen said:
And Yoyager didn't have them, or if they did they were forgettable.

No, Voyager didn't have them. You could tell, since mirror-Tuvok was part of the Terran Rebellion in one episode.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
The episode was preempted last night due to baseball. It's on now. Just saw the pre-credits part. WOW. If the remaining two hours of this is anything like the beginning we're in for a treat.

driver8

First Post
RedShirtNo5 said:
Oh, also a great tie-in to TOS.

Here's a summary of The Tholian Web:

So this episode answers the question, where did the Defiant go when it disappeared?

The only negative is, enough with time travel already!

-RedShirt

LOL I completly geeked out when I saw it was not only Defiant but the TOS Defiant. One of the best nods to TOS. You know, LIKE THE SHOULD HAVE DONE FROM THE BEGINNING!!

(Sorry but no episode discussion is complete without a min rant).

I am curious myself to see how this plays out how this Mirror ep ties in to the good Enterprise and her crew, or if its just a tease of some kind.

Tom Cashel

First Post
I thought it completely sucked ass.

I've watched every episode of this series, and I'm saddened by the cancellation, but this...

It's just pointless.

They're not the same characters. I don't care about them at all.

There's no connection to the characters I do care about.

And there's only four episodes left, and we have to sit through crap that's completely unrelated to the show??

The fact that so many people are raving about episodes that have (at best) a tenuous connection to the show in question really explains why Enterprise was cancelled. Most people didn;t want to se this show at all.

Apparently a proto-fascist Enterprise would have garnered a lot better ratings.

I looked at my watch about 10 times during this episode. That's roughly every six minutes. What a lame piece of crap that was.

It's as though they gave the fans a final ":):):):) you" with the cancellation, and now they're going one step further to ram that cancellation right down our throats.

And make people ask for more.

Tom Cashel

First Post
And another thing:

Does anyone else find TOS/Enterprise crossovers kind of stupid, if for no other reason but because the Enterprise-era ships look about a hundred times as advanced as TOS ships?

They're getting all excited over an "amazingly advanced" ship that looks like a bathtub compared to theirs.

Orius

Legend
I was looking forward to this episode. The mirror universe episodes are all pretty good, and fun to watch, so I had high expectations for this one.

I wasn't disappointed.

This episode ROCKED.

I knew when they showed clips from First Contact, that it was the mirror universe we were seeing. Great touch having Zephram Cochran blow away that Vulcan. I wonder...did this Cochran have the help of the NG crew? Or maybe he didn't, and the post WWIII attitudes of Earth is what led to his rather violent response. Food for thought.

I liked the changed opening sequence. Instead of mankind's achivements of exploration, we see mankind's victories of war and conquest.

Porthos was a mean rottweiler instead of a little beagle.

Phlox and Reed invent the agonizer. Phlox was great as a mad scientist.

They did a great job on the Tholian too.

And of course there was the TOS Defiant. They did a great job rebuiling the original bridge set, got all the details right, and the sound effects. They even had that little scope that comes out of the helm.

Reed's reaction when they pick up that TOS phaser. He was practically drooling over it. :)

The Tholian web in this episode went up a helluva lot faster than the one in "The Tholian Web".

I can't wait until next week.

mojo1701

First Post
Orius said:
The Tholian web in this episode went up a helluva lot faster than the one in "The Tholian Web".

That could be accredited to there being a helluva lot of ships.

Anyone else think that the Emperor they talked about could've been Zefram Cochrane, or someone from his lineage?

driver8

First Post
Tom Cashel said:
And another thing:

Does anyone else find TOS/Enterprise crossovers kind of stupid, if for no other reason but because the Enterprise-era ships look about a hundred times as advanced as TOS ships?

They're getting all excited over an "amazingly advanced" ship that looks like a bathtub compared to theirs.

Well yes and no. The sixties look to TOS is often distracting. But apart from style and design elements how is Enterprises stuff more advanced? The Defiant is larger, and as Trip I think said has a bigger warp coil..its got a secondary hull.

Just because the bridge uses clunkier buttons or has a seeming analog display, why is that imply technological backwardness? I completley understand what your saying, but form doesnt always follow function especially considering the Federation supposedly has imput from several worlds and systems.

Just as in fashion design elements go through stylistic changes and modes..the early TOS was just a 60's mode :)

Remove ads