ENW Short Story Smackdown Summer 07 (Winner Announced)

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
Piratecat said:
I love picture 4. The rhino and the girl are great together.

Thanks, PC, it's one of my favorites. I had a rhino fetish for a while, couldn't stop drawing and painting them. I did a rhino on roller skates in front of a checkered flag and titled it "Built For Speed"... MJF is pretty clever, yes?

And glad I could help, Tad. :)

Trench, Avatar V- if you're reading this, shouldn't you be writing? :)

Trench

First Post
Crazy week. It's midnight. I have to get up to drive six hours tomorrow.

I haven't started writing.

Am I giving up?

Coffee and Jameson's is set up in front of me. The only way I will NOT get a story posted is if I fall asleep at the keyboard.

Let's rock.

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
Trench said:
Crazy week. It's midnight. I have to get up to drive six hours tomorrow.

I haven't started writing.

Am I giving up?

Coffee and Jameson's is set up in front of me. The only way I will NOT get a story posted is if I fall asleep at the keyboard.

Let's rock.

Whoohoo! Welcome to Short Story Smackdown, last man standing wins... :)

First Post
Trench said:
Let's rock.
Good luck, Trench! I'm feeling better about my situation now :) I'd say I'm about 2/3 of the way done; maybe a bit less, but it is definitely starting to get late. And I haven't proofread yet. Looking to be a long night here, as well.

And don't fall asleep driving tomorrow!

Trench

First Post
May The Air Bring You Down

by Shawn Feakins

Kendrick ran as quickly as he could, adjusting his helmet as he did. He climbed up the side of the formation, lichen getting under his fingernails only to be gouged out by weeds. He hopped on one foot as he struggled to get on the ridiculous striped tights. He couldn't wait till this ritual fell under the waves of something new. Of course, by then, he would be cycled into something new as well. Perhaps a storyteller or a history changer. Regardless, for now, he was a ritual minder.

He groaned as he saw Azure and Mere had already claimed their spots at the bell and mouthpiece of the horn. He grit his teeth and knelt down to duck under pitted brass horn, specks of dirt still caked inside the dents from where they excavated it. Mere could barely hold up her end, so he struggled- his arms slipping to one side of the horn while propping most of the weight on his right shoulder. It was painful. The vibrations of the lasting horn massaged his screaming muscles, although the blast of stale air and dust that came out the other end must not have been pleasant for Mere. There was a cry from below as the crowd heard their call to begin their changes.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30746

Azure dumped his mouthpiece end unceremoniously and the horn clattered to the stones. He nodded. "Well gents, its been fun."

"Your time is up?" Mere asked, sniffling.

"On to wherever the Wind blows me."

"Well good luck then," Mere shakes Azure's hand. "Let me know what your new name is if you're still here."

"Likewise," Kendrick said, not as enthusiastically.

As Azure took a final look and left, Kendrick took off his helmet and rubbed his shoulder. He looked down to the plaza below. Already, people were piling their old possessions onto the ancient straight-cloth wing/sail transports. The chimerical vehicles were two months (two months!) old and the zeppelin freights had been shipped down by the Star Dwellers. This promised to be a Big Splash, and the people were feverish in anticipation. Some were naked as they threw in their clothes in a fit of zeal. They would most likely regret it as their bodies would remain most likely unclothed till the next clothing shipment next week. But for now Kendrick watched the orgy of metamorphosis as their city shed itself and turned into something new again. The square looked like a kaleidoscope of merging and babbling color- the parrots fluttering about and squawking throwing a decidedly tropical air to the proceedings. Since they were high on a mountain top, Kendrick could appreciate that.

Kendrick's eyes were attracted to the one still spot on the edge of this miasma. A young girl stood very out of place in clothes that were nearly six months old. It was a wonder she hadn't been stripped for it. Her wide-brim grey-felt hat stood out amidst the dancing colors. But just as startling was the rhino, a creature that had gone out of style nearly a year ago. Most people gave her and it a wide berth (which is simply good sense when dealing with a rhino...). She looked like a rock stubbornly set against the tide of change, which was dangerous. The Wind wouldn’t allow it.

"Going to head down?" Mere tapped Kendrick on the shoulder.

"Yeah sure," he said.

"Won't be long till this goes under the waves," mere kicks the gargoyle looking out from their perch. "I'm feeling crusty already."

"It's only been two weeks," Kendrick says.

"Long enough. Come on. I don't want to miss it."

The zeppelin freighters towed them out while their difference engines wound down. The priests had never liked the requirement on improbability for the vehicles, so these zeppelins were a welcome arrival- for the time they would be here. The sails and wings of the transports looked ratty and torn, as few people cared for them near the end of the year of their use. Screens projected their descent into the waves as the zeppelins tossed them out of the holds to have them careen into the deep, unchangeable deep. A burst of superheated plasma came from the chimney of one just before it splashed down, and a burst of applause came from the crowd in response to it's splash.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30745

"The Air is holy," the priests said- wearing a frock of discarded bird feathers. "The Air changes and sweeps and is free. The air holds the Water at bay. The Water that shifts yet never changes. That is always there in it's terrifying solidity. By destroying the old, we are the wind. Remember the sin of attachment. Remember the sin of permanence. In Change, we touch Divinity. We use what the Air gives us, and in this we become close to it."

The crowd murmured its agreement. Kendrick watched the girl lead her rhino away from the crowd.

~

The next time he saw her, he wasn't Kendrick. He was Gypsum. Mere had long been sent to the Deep Area and Gypsum was sure he wouldn't recognize him afterward. That's how it always worked. Nonetheless, Mere (when he was Mere) got him into the Air Wielding so he went today.

The teams were something called "Japan" and "USA"- more clothing taken from the Air. This would be the last game played with these teams as new uniforms were found recently. The crowd roared as the hollow boned athletes rolled onto the floor. It was midway through (Japan leading asteriks to 8) that she saw her again.

She sat at one corner of the court, knees tucked up to her chin and wearing the same grey felt hat. Her clothes were different, but the flower dress was still an antiquated piece of clothing that made others shy away from her nervously. She didn't seem to mind. She simply pet her rhino and watched the game with sad eyes. Gypsum wasn't sure why, but he walked over anyway.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30747

"What name does he have this time?" Gypsum ran his hands over the rough rhino hide.

"Same name he's always had. Tide."

Gypsum balked at that, both the uncomfortable name and the fact that it had been his always. He peered into the rhino's eyes and was surprised to see them milky and sightless. "He's blind," he almost gasped.

"That’s what happens when you get old," she said as the crowd cheered on a particularly effortless lay-up.

"I...see..." Gypsum's hand slowly moved away from the rhino to drop uncomfortably to his side. He felt his skin crawl with... with age. With something that lasted.

They didn't talk the rest of the match. After it was over the crowd filtered out. The girl picked some of the flowers growing by her feet and put them behind the rhino's ears as they walked out.

"If...uh... You don't mind me asking..."

"Why do I keep him?" she said. "Because I love him, and just because something is old doesn't mean we throw them away. Sometimes having something stick around can be a good thing."

Gypsum blushed and looked around to see if anyone heard. "Ah, that's a little... ah... It's not safe to get attached to things. The Wind could change and the Water can come up to us and wash it all away again. It's happened before-"

"-And it will happen again, I know," she said. "But is that any reason not to have a home? We're always in this constant state of getting used to something. New jobs, new names, new pets, new clothes. Don't you ever want to just sit?"

Gypsum had honestly never thought about it before.

~
They would meet at the games. She would often sit in the same spot again and again. Sometimes she would have to argue with people who insisted on her spot for a change of pace. Usually when he came over as well, they walked away sullenly- eager to demonstrate their lack of attachment. Tide would chew contentedly on the grass as they watched the chairs wheel and pivot and dive past each other to get to the net.

"You know why I like watching them?" she said once.

"Why?"

"Because of their bones. They've had to get so many surgeries to hollow out their bones to be that light. They can't even hold themselves up any more. But even in the chairs, they can fly."

To illustrate her point, one of the team flew up in the air to tap the bullseye above the net. The crowd cheered as the chair pivoted on the ring and floated down.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30748

"But once their turn is up... I mean most people hate getting this shift. The surgeries are painful and there's certainly the adulation. They mirror the birds we admire. I've even heard the priests say it's the most important job one can do, entertain. They always say we should be thankful for their sacrifice, but..." Gypsum shook his head. "But this is it for them. If they get a new occupation that they can't do before the next surgeries blow by..."

"The get put out Above the Waves," she nods. "I know. No attachments even to our own."

"So why do you admire them?"

"Because no one's body is ever quite the same after their tenure as a Ball-Bird. They're always a little lighter... and that's permanent. They have scars, have you seen them?"

Gypsum shuddered. He didn't, but he had seen those wavy, raised white lines of flesh- a terrible thing to see. They were a permanent mark on a body that you couldn't change with paints and henna and dieting and gorging. Most people tried their best to hide them.

"It shows that something ACTUALLY happened in their lives. That they did something besides flit around."

She looks hard at the court as the Ball-Bird's wheel about. "I hate the fact that this land has turned flying into something to be ashamed of."

~

His name changed again. He became Ellis. And through it all her rhino got older and more rheumy-eyed and he told her things. She told him how her father would read to her from blasphemous texts. "History" books. She told him how they lived on trash that was thrown from people living in the stars and thought it was something holy when it was not. She told him how the people who could afford to, left this world long ago and had built something permanent- and that THAT was the true nature of humanity. Not living off what the Air gave but being like the water. Shifting yet never changing.

He was beginning to feel attached to her, and he felt shame. He shifted jobs to the difficult duties of Stonecarver to the pleasing job of Grower. And still he found her, no matter how different he looked she always looked the same. He grew to know her. He knew her father's name and what he did. What jobs she liked and didn't. Where she got her hat from. He began to know her and inside himself he felt something shifting. Shifting like the tides.

And then it all came crashing.

~

Logically, he was surprised it took so long. The rhino had been walking around getting older and ore feeble and reminded the others of what could happen. People became familiar with it, and that made them uncomfortable.

He wasn't there. If he were, he may have been able to stop it. But as it happened, he didn't know about it till he came back from his current job at the Scavenging Piles. And as he walked back to the hovel that was his home for this cycle he saw Tide. Flayed out in the Town Square and having his parts be picked over by others. Bladders and stomachs were being turned into canteens and balloons. Skin was being stitched into flags and shoes and being made into something that would be thrown away in a few weeks time.

In a pile, nearby, he saw the grey hat.

He ached. He knew he could never see her again. He went out Above the Waves to see where they hung her. There, surrounded by the unlucky Ball-Bird players and those too old to change easily any more- she lay swaddled in cloth. He cried out to her, but no answer came. None ever did. People never knew what the priests did. Before they punished those who defied the transitory nature of life. For those who transgressed, they were sent to hang Above the Waves, suspended in the Holy Air as it whipped around and changed until the Air was too much and dropped them below the cold, immutable Water. Where all the Old was placed to rust and disintegrate. There would be no air burial for these, they would simply be swallowed by the Water. The terrible, hungry Deep.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30744

He slept there. Talked to her. He left only to go to his job. The worst days were those that when he came back a new one had replaced one that had fallen. Each time he wondered if it was hers.

Eventually, all of them were new. As it should be.

He wished for permanence. He cursed the change that took her. He would draw her. He had no skill for it, but carving was another matter. His hands would move across the fruit that they would be given and that they found and he felt air in his veins. He felt Water in his heart as he shaped sensuous melons, bitter oranges, unyielding apples, and gory pomegranates. He worked on those times when he did not work. His names changed. People would ask him or see him carve and get uncomfortable. To carve a face was a soft blasphemy. The face revealed our emotions. The face was the Air in its mutability. It betrays our moods like the wind betrays the moods of the earth. He realized that the Air and the Water were not that different. The air mirrors the Water below, our inability to see the air represents the unknown below the waters.

But it wasn’t enough. All the food rotted and decayed. Just like her. It never stayed long enough.

One day, he looked at his most recent work as felt terror. He saw a half hint of a smile that she never had. She had earrings that she never wore. And worse yet, her eyes... her were shadows.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30749

It was horrible. All his attempts to blaspheme, to make something last, and even then his mind betrayed him. He looked down at the carving knife in his hands and cursed it. The face, bloody with melon innards smirked at his pain.

It was the color that inspired him. He closed his eyes. He chose a name for himself. A name he would take with him. He opened his shirt and started carving.

His scars would be permanent waves to drown the airy sentiments of the wisdom of non-attachment. He would walk shirtless and watch mothers shield those children whom they had for that month's eyes. They would see her face staring at them always and forever. Until one day, when he finally threw their denial, their lie back in their face for one too many times- they would come for him. They would hang him Above the Waves. And he would rock himself to sleep in his cloth coffin, waiting for the Air to take him somewhere that mattered.

Trench

First Post
[sblock]Two-Thirty.

BOO YAH!

Like the last one, I like it- but I always seem to like my stuff when I stay up late posting it. Not sure how much of that is sleep dep. The Whiskey has flowed, and the editing has been done. And if I crawl into bed, I can still get some sleep...

Won't be back till Thursday evening, so we'll see what happens. Good Luck Avatar V![/sblock]

First Post
ENWorld Short Story Smackdown Summer 07

Round 4, Match 1 (Final match)

Freedom
by Mike Rousos (Avatar_V)

Feet pounded the floor. Hands clapped together. Fans hollered. The crowd’s roar swept over Nathan and shook the pit of his stomach. His left hand held binoculars to his eyes as he watched the basketball game. It wasn’t the NBA, though, it was an International Wheelchair Basketball Federation game. The United States was hosting Japan and the game was close. Japan had just sunk a three pointer, bringing themselves to within one of the Americans as the final minutes of the third quarter ticked away. The din of the crowd reminded Nathan of another sporting event – one that had taken place three years ago. Nathan closed his eyes and remembered.

Nathan saw a blue track and he felt the rhythm of his stride as he came around the last turn. He breathed quickly as his arms pumped and he ran. Ahead of him, he saw a hurdle. He pushed off with his left foot and cleared it easily. Then there was another. Without breaking his stride, Nathan cleared it. And then the race was over. He soared across the finish line and knew that he had won. His scarlet jersey clung to his body as he gulped air and then water. He looked around and saw a crowd roaring and cheering for him. He raised a fist in celebration and the noise amplified. He was only a junior in college and was the fastest 400 meter hurdle runner in the state of Ohio. Next would be Nationals and he stood a real chance of placing. As Nathan sat in the stands of the basketball game, a small smile spread across his face – that track meet was, without a doubt, the high point of his life.

He brought his attention back to the basketball game and, there, his fantasy continued. He imagined himself on the court dribbling around defenders and then launching into the air to dunk the ball. Sure, Nathan wasn’t actually much of a basketball player, but in his imagination his athleticism more than made up for his lack of talent at shooting a basketball. He set the binoculars on his lap. But, as he did so, he felt the cool metal rail to his left – a rail that was constantly beside him – and he remembered why his girlfriend had brought him to this game instead of to a Cav’s NBA game. Suddenly, his fantasy changed. Why was he imagining himself jumping over defenders? That was his old life. He would never jump again. Grimly, he saw in his mind’s eye the absurd image of a wheelchair-bound player soaring through the air for a dunk and his smile turned into a frown. He looked at his wheelchair and shook his head. Could he have proven himself the fastest hurdler in the nation? If not that year, perhaps the next? Who knows? Who cares? Nathan leaned back and closed his eyes, no longer aware of the crowd’s cheers all around him.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30748

Next to him, Nathan’s girlfriend, Jessica, looked over at him concerned. She squeezed his hand, “Nathan, you ok?”

“Yea, Jess, I’m fine.” He picked up his binoculars again. The Japanese team had taken the lead.

“You sure?” Jessica pressed. She took the binoculars. “You’ve seemed really detached and depressed lately.”

“Lately? What, you mean like for the past three years?”

Jessica frowned, “I’m just worried about you, Nathan. You ought to get out and make some new friends. You haven’t seen any of your college friends, other than Art, since you graduated. You can’t always be alone.”

“I’m with you, aren’t I?”

“You know what I mean, Nathan. Basketball, for instance,” she motioned at the game going on below them. “There’s a local wheelchair basketball league. I thought maybe you could sign up and meet some people.”

“Why would I do that? I’m terrible at basketball.”

“You’re not terrible,” Jessica protested, “you just don’t want anything to interfere with your moping! You ought to give it a try. You’re a great athlete, Nathan. I don’t want to see you give that up.”

Anger flared in Nathan’s eyes as he stared at her. “Give it up? Jessica, I never gave it up. It was taken from me!” People around them looked at Nathan and he realized his voice was raised. He lowered it, but the intensity remained. “I used to be an athlete, Jess. Used to be. In the past. If I joined a team now, I would just help them lose. I jumped hurdles. That’s it. Now, I can’t even walk. So what’s that leave me with? Huh? I’ll tell you what – not much. I’ve got nothing to give to anyone. And no one’s got anything I need. Now stop pushing on things that you know hurt me.”

Jessica was flustered. “But, Nathan, to be an athlete – it was your dream…”

“Dreams? You’re one to talk about dreams, Jess. You’re 25 years old – shouldn’t you be well on your way to being ‘Dr. Jessica, veterinarian extraordinaire’ by now?”

“Nathan, that’s not fair; you know I’m not smart enough for that-”

Nathan interrupted, “And you know that I can’t walk! So quit telling me to do things that I can’t do.”

Nathan turned his wheelchair as fast as he could and pushed himself out of the arena. He sat on the sidewalk for some minutes thinking before Jessica joined him. She came and stood next to him, but couldn’t find the words she was looking for. Instead, she pulled her coat tighter around herself to keep the cool night air from chilling her. Nathan looked up at her. “With this stupid chair, I can’t even stalk out angry. All I can do is roll myself out to the sidewalk and sit there waiting for you to catch up with me.”

“Let’s go home,” Jessica said, pulling her keys out of her pocket.

“No,” Nathan answered.

“No?” Jessica asked, “I’m leaving – if you don’t come, how are you planning to get home?”

“Well, I’m not going with you. I know you think I’m such an invalid I can’t even get myself home at night, but I can call Art. He’ll pick me up.”

“Nathan, I’m just trying to help you,” Jessica pleaded.

“I know,” Nathan conceded, “but you can’t help me. So, it’s really just a waste of your time.”

Jessica frowned and thought for a moment. Then she nodded and said, “Yea, I’m beginning to see that.”

“You know – in there I said that, at this point in my life, I’ve got nothing to offer anyone and no one has anything I need.” Nathan looked up at his girlfriend. “That’s the truth, Jess.”

Jessica stood for a moment looking at him, then she said “You’re right – I don’t have time for this.” And she turned and left.

Nathan slept in late the following morning. By the time he woke and got ready for the day, guests had already arrived for the barbecue his parents were hosting. It didn’t really bother Nathan that he wasn’t ready when the guests arrived – none of them were there for him, anyhow. Jessica had been invited, of course, but he was pretty sure she wasn’t coming. On the way home the previous night, Art had mentioned that he may drop by, but Nathan knew not to count on it. The preceding night’s sourness was still with Nathan as he wheeled himself out into the backyard where the guests were gathered.

Nathan made the rounds, politely chatting with the guests, but the party went on for some time and his boredom only increased. Eventually, he decided that no one would care if he headed back inside and spent some time with his Xbox. He wheeled himself up the short ramp into the kitchen. As he passed the kitchen counter and the last of the guests, Nathan heard someone call his name and he stopped. The voice was strange – it sounded vaguely feminine, but he couldn’t be sure. “Nathan,” it said again, and he looked around. The voice was mesmerizing; he was sure he would have remembered if it had belonged to one of the guests. He turned around, looking for the speaker. Then, the call came again and Nathan stopped cold. He rubbed his eyes and looked again. The voice was most certainly coming from a watermelon sitting on the counter. A watermelon that had been sliced open and had the face of a woman carved into it. As he stared, the watermelon’s mouth moved and it spoke, “Hello, Nathan.”

Nathan looked around. There were other guests in the kitchen, but no one else seemed to hear the watermelon. He wasn’t sure if he should answer. Was he hallucinating? He didn’t feel sick. At last, he looked at the fantastical fruit and informed it, “I’m sorry, but watermelons don’t talk.”

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30749

The watermelon watched him for a moment, as if unsure whether that was all he had to say. Finally, assuming that Nathan was done, the watermelon responded, “It seems that you’re mistaken.” Nathan was sure that the watermelon was smirking at him. It made him angry to have a large fruit smirk at him. It continued, though, “It seems, Nathan, that you have never seen a talking watermelon before. It seems that there are many things you have not seen.”

“What are you talking about?” Nathan was trying to talk quietly now in case someone noticed him talking to a side dish.

“I can show you,” came the offer. Nathan waited for a little more explanation. And the watermelon did continue – in just as frank a fashion: “Eat me.”

“Excuse me?” Nathan was beginning to get somewhat uncomfortable, “I think that you’re a figment of my imagination, and my life’s really too screwed up right now for you to make it any worse…”

“Eat me.” Nathan looked at the watermelon, unsure what to say. It persisted, “Eat me. Just a small piece, there’s a knife next to me. Go ahead.”

Not sure what else to do, Nathan reached for the knife and slowly cut off a piece of the watermelon’s cheek. It gave no indication of pain. Then, watching the watermelon woman the whole time, Nathan slowly lifted the melon to his mouth and ate it. He chewed. He swallowed. Immediately, his world began to spin. He dropped the knife as vertigo struck. If he had not been sitting already, he certainly would have fallen. The ceiling whirled around and the walls and guests spun around him.

Nathan could feel his pulse in his temples and he raised his fingers to his head. He closed his eyes and fought to hold in a scream as his sense of balance deserted him completely. The spinning sensation continued and he opened his eyes again. Now, though, the scene was different. He was no longer in his kitchen. He was in a car. The vehicle was careening out of control and Nathan watched in horror as the world outside the car spun in a whirlwind around him. Now his scream came uninhibited – he had been here before. He knew this car. He had been in it three years ago – on the day he lost the use of his legs. These memories were not new and Nathan began fighting to get out of the car. But, of course, there was no time for that. Everything happened in a flash. Nathan saw the sky spinning past him. But then he saw something that had not been in these memories before. He saw water spinning past him. There had been no water near his accident. Then, he saw other cars – they were flying. Before he had time to process the bizarre scene, though, his car crashed into the sea and he was thrown into the icy water.

Water forced its way into this nose and mouth and, instinctively, Nathan swam upwards. It was very difficult to swim – he almost couldn’t do it – but just as his vision waned for lack of breath, he broke the surface of the water and gasped deeply for air. For some moments he just fought to stay afloat and breathed in the fresh air. Only after assuring himself that he was not going to drown, did Nathan really look around and take in the amazing scene around him.

He was treading water in a beautiful sea. The shore was mountainous and not terribly far off. Up upon the highest peak, Nathan saw what he could only describe as a castle. The sky above him was a brilliant blue and was nearly cloudless. There were a few seagulls. But, the sky also held the strangest of all the things Nathan had yet seen here. For flying over him were a multitude of vehicles and buildings – cars, trains, houses – all with rickety wings, sails, and dirigibles keeping them afloat. Some – especially the large buildings – moved lazily across the sky. Others, such as the trains, sped along – often dangerously close to the water. Near him, Nathan saw the remnants of a wing in the water and he realized that he had been in one of those very vehicles – a flying car that had somehow lost control and deposited him here in the water.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30745

Not wanting to tire before he could safely reach shore, Nathan began swimming towards the mountains. It was much harder going than he would have expected, but he stroked and kicked furiously. Suddenly, something dawned on Nathan that had been lost in all of the prior commotion. He was kicking as he swam. He could move his legs! He felt them powerfully propelling him, just as he remembered. Encouraged and amazed by this, Nathan kicked harder and moved more swiftly to shore. Finally, he reached the rocky shore and crawled onto the beach.

Very carefully, he placed a foot flat on the ground. Then the other. Then, slowly, he straightened his legs and stood. He looked down, he was wearing his old track uniform. The joy at feeling his own strong legs under him again was almost immeasurable, but even as he stood and stretched, concern entered his mind. For, the situation was not as simple as it had first seemed. For, there was more peculiarity here than just the health of Nathan’s body. His body was just as he remembered it being all those years ago, but tied around his waist were two large stones. They hung from his waist and weighed him down terribly. He could stand, he could walk, but he could barely run at anything faster than a jog with the great weights hanging from his hips. He could never race like this – he could hardly jump over anything. The tremendous difficulty in swimming to shore made sense, now.

Frustrated, Nathan sat down on the rocky beach and examined the weights that tethered him. They were large oblong rocks. He picked one up, measuring it. Nathan figured that each of them must have weighed easily over twenty pounds, probably more than thirty. Strong cords connected them to a rope belt that encircled his waist. At once, Nathan set to work unknotting the ropes. But, despite his best efforts, the ropes were tied securely and would not budge. No matter how he pulled at the ropes, they stayed firmly fastened around his waist and to the stones. Nathan tried slipping the rope belt off, but it was too snug and wouldn’t fit over his hips or ribs, no matter how he contorted his body. Growing more and more upset at the terrible weights, Nathan found the sharpest rocks the beach offered and set to work sawing at the ropes. The efforts were in vain, though. He sawed furiously, but the ropes never so much as frayed.

At last, defeated, Nathan sat on the beach, drenched in sweat and seawater, and looked out over the waves. He couldn’t see the other side of the sea, but as he looked up, he once again saw the flying vehicles. He couldn’t imagine how they flew – they seemed so unwieldy. Then, he looked back at the ropes around his waist and it struck him – this world was clearly magical. Perhaps it was magic that bound the ropes around him. He turned, remembering the castle up on the mountain top. He looked up at it. If this land was somehow enchanted, perhaps whoever lived in that castle would be able to tell him how to overcome the enchantment and drop these burdens that were so determinedly fastened to him. Perhaps whoever lived in the castle would be able to tell him how to go home. Though, as he looked at his legs, Nathan wasn’t sure he wanted to go home. For a few minutes, Nathan stood on the beach, waving his arms overhead, trying to get the attention of one of the pilots above him. They were too far away, though. Nathan turned and looked up at the castle again. He would have to get there himself.

The first leg of the journey was difficult. The beach quickly turned into steep and rocky hills and Nathan had to crawl up most of them on hands and knees as they were too steep to walk up. Even without the stones around his waist, it would have been a difficult hike. By the time he reached the first level terrain, he was breathing heavily and his legs were badly bruised from the stones bouncing against them. He took a short break and then continued on. Although the incline was much less severe now, the trees around Nathan became increasingly dense until, at last, he was pushing his way through nearly impenetrable foliage. His progress was no faster than it had been on the hills, and to make matters worse, the stones kept tangling in the brush and holding him back. Nathan hoped that he was still heading in the right direction (the green canopy overhead prevented him from seeing the keep’s towers), but he had no choice but to trust his sense of direction and press on.

It wasn’t until the light in the forest began to fade that it occurred to Nathan that he might need to eat and sleep before he was able to reach the castle. In fact, he was suddenly aware of the fact that he was quite hungry. Not sure where to find food, he continued on – not sure where food would come from, but also unsure what else to do except to try and reach the mountaintop castle. He continued trudging through the thick foliage for another half hour before it was too dark to see any further. Even if it had been light, though, Nathan’s legs were quite sore and he had to stop and rest. With the last of the daylight, Nathan settled down next to a large tree trunk, his stones on either side of him, and slept.

Nathan awoke early the next morning. He wasn’t sure whether it was the first rays of light through the canopy that woke him or the tremendous pangs of hunger and thirst. Either way, he woke and began searching immediately for something to drink. There was no water to be found, though – only the dew on the ground. Nathan tried to press dewy leaves to his lips, but the moisture from them was scarce. With nothing else to do, he pressed on, cursing the weights that swung from his waist.

The forest Nathan hiked through was beautiful in the morning sunlight, but he could not enjoy it. The stones at his sides and the hunger in his gut occupied all of his thoughts. Then, just when he thought things couldn’t get any worse, around noon, he left the forest and came out onto a plain. He had been hoping for a reprieve from the thick forest brush all day, but he quickly longed for the shade of the trees as the scorching sun beat down on the plain fiercely. At least he could see the castle again. He was nearer to it than he had been before. Encouraged, he trekked on.

Shortly after leaving the forest, Nathan encountered what was simultaneously the most encouraging and the most depressing scene of the day. There were some tall sparse savannah trees scattered around the plain he walked across and as he drew near to one, he looked up and realized that there was fruit hanging from its branches! He couldn’t clearly identify the fruit, but it seemed to be some sort of large berry. The excitement of the discovery was very temporary, though, because it became quickly apparent that he had no way of retrieving the food. There were a few pieces of the fruit lying near the tree and Nathan greedily devoured them. Their taste was splendid, but they were far too few to satisfy his hunger. He tried climbing the tree, but the trunk was sheer and his stones weighed him down heavily. He tried throwing the rocks against the trunk to shake down berries, but to no avail. After some time, Nathan gave up on harvesting the berries and continued his journey. He stopped by all of the trees he saw to check the ground for berries, but he never did manage to pick a berry that hadn’t already fallen. And, tasty as they were, the fallen berries were generally somewhat rotten and no matter how many trees Nathan found, what sat on the ground was not enough to sate his hunger.

And so things went for the rest of the day. Nathan wearily made his way across the expansive land, drawing ever nearer to the castle. It wasn’t until the sun sank behind the horizon that Nathan became truly frightened. That fright was triggered by the howl of a hyena. Dusk had settled fully when Nathan heard the spine-tingling laughing cry. He saw eyes peering at him from the darkness, and he tried to run. He didn’t know where he was going, but he wanted to get away from the hyenas as quickly as he could. The entire way, though, the stones fought him – slowing him, hitting his legs, even threatening to trip him as they swung around at his sides. Though he ran, the hyena howls continued. Then, in the distance, Nathan saw a light. At first it was a small point of illumination, but as he drew nearer, he could see it was a campfire. With all he had, he ran. The hyenas were still following him, just waiting for the perfect time to pounce, he supposed, but the campfire promised safety. Onward he charged, in spite of the stones. Finally, exhausted, cramped, and sweating, he drew near to the campfire and he heard the howls of the hyenas recede.

The first thing Nathan noticed by the campfire was a rhinoceros. It was an enormous beast. It was more than a little startling, but Nathan could see that it leaned to its left, putting no weight on its front right foot. The second thing he noticed was the woman sitting beside the rhinoceros. She sat huddled, knees to chest, arms wrapped around them, staring into the campfire. She had a brimmed hat that would serve her well to keep the blistering sun from her face come daylight. She wore a haunting expression that Nathan could only describe as longing and sad. Then, abruptly, it hit him. He knew this woman. He wasn’t used to her in a hat and next to a rhinoceros. But sitting on the ground not more than forty yards from him, staring into a campfire, was Jessica.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30747

Nathan stood for a moment, trying to process how she could be in this bizarre world with him. He dismissed the thought quickly, though, as he realized that he didn’t even have an explanation for how he had entered this world. He considered approaching her, but he looked at the stones around his waist and thought about the sad expression on her face. Wherever she was going, he would only keep her from it. He didn’t want to burden her. He very nearly left. But, by now, his thirst was overwhelming. And the laugh of the hyenas still rung in his ears. And so he stepped forward slowly. When she still didn’t look up from the fire, he addressed her, “Jessica…” His voice cracked as he spoke; he hadn’t considered that he’d said nothing for the past day and half.

Her head jerked up in surprise and she looked at him, wide-eyed, “Nathan!”

Before she could say anymore, he interrupted her. “Jess, I’m just here to find out if you know where I can find water. I know you’re going to want me to come with you. But you’re more than capable on your own. I have these weights,” he motioned at the stones, “attached to me magically. I can’t remove them. Everything I do is hampered by them. I can’t run, I can’t jump, I can’t climb. I need some water, so I’m coming for your advice. But don’t weigh yourself down with me. You’ll be more likely to survive this hellish place alone.”

Jessica looked at him for a while, processing and making sense of what he had just said. Then, slowly, she stood and lifted her hands. As she did, Nathan saw that attached to her wrists were the same ropes that were bound about his waist. And hanging from each wrist, Jessica had a large stone – not unlike those he wore.

“You…” Nathan was utterly shocked, “You have them too?” Jessica just nodded and began to cry. Slowly, the stones still weighing heavily, Nathan went over to her and they sat down together. She handed him a canteen and he drank. Then, for a long time, neither said anything. They watched the fire together and just rested. At last, Nathan motioned at the rhinoceros next to them, “So, who’s your friend?”

Jessica chuckled a bit, “I found him yesterday. He’s very friendly, but he seems to have sprained his ankle. I think I could set it in a big rhino-sized splint for him if I could gather some wood and something to tie it with, but I just can’t do a thing with these,” she held up her wrists and let the stones hang for a moment before allowing gravity to pull her arms back down. “I feel so helpless.”

Nathan nodded, “I understand.” An idea occurred to him. “Maybe tomorrow I can set it for you. You’ll have to tell me what you need and how to do it, but I’ll bet if we work together we can fix him up. My stones are on my waist, not my arms. Then, after that, maybe I can put you on my shoulders to get some of those berries fresh out of the trees.”

“I thought you weren’t staying with me.”

Nathan shrugged, “Maybe I won’t be so much deadweight after all.” He placed a hand on the rock that lay next to Jessica’s knee, tethered to her wrist. “I think we have more in common than I realized.”

The following morning was one of industry. Jessica showed Nathan the stream nearby where she had filled her canteen. He drank greedily from it. Then, they visited the fruits trees and standing on Nathan’s shoulders, leaning against the trunk, Jessica pulled down all the berries they could eat. Throughout the morning, the rhino limped around, grazing. Shortly before noon, Nathan’s shirt was torn into makeshift ties and, under Jessica’s instruction, Nathan carefully set the giant animal’s bad ankle. Then, their pockets full of berries, and Jessica’s canteen brimming with water, they bid farewell to the rhinoceros and set off again towards the castle.

As it turned out, the berries were good to have, but they soon were going to have far more water than they had counted on. For that evening, just as they were transitioning out of the plains and back into mountains, there was an abrupt clap of thunder and rain began pouring down. There was no cover, so they simply got wet. But the worst of it was not the inconvenience or the discomfort of it. The worst of it was the way it made their climb up the mountainside far more treacherous than it would have been otherwise. They slogged through muddy passes and up slick stone slopes, every step crucial as they carefully picked their way over the slippery ground. It seemed that as they went the rain only got harder and the mountain only got steeper. And their climb only became more dangerous. Until, finally, as they walked along a narrow mountain path, Nathan’s stones became too much for him and he stumbled. He slipped on the slick ground and nearly fell from the mountain’s face. Holding on to the edge of the narrow path and unable to pull himself up, he called for Jessica. For a dreadful moment, it seemed that she could not hear him over the torrential rain. He called again, “Jessica, help me!” And, then, she turned, saw what had happened and rushed to him. Dropping to her knees on the muddy path, she extended an arm to him. Ironically, the dangling stone was nearer to him and he grabbed a hold of the rope fiercely. Jessica leaned back and Nathan clamored back up onto the ledge. For several minutes they just sat on the path, their feet hanging over the edge, the rain drenching them. Then, Nathan leaned over and kissed Jessica. After a long embrace, they stood, and continued their climb. It was only a short distance later that they found a cave they could use as shelter from the rain. There, they spent the night.

The next morning, they breakfasted on soggy berries and Nathan went out to survey how far they had come in the night. He was pleased to find that they were nearly to the top of the mountain and the castle was only a short ways off. And so, after their light breakfast, they set out once more. The mountain ledge was far easier to navigate in the daylight and without the rain.

Early in the morning, they arrived at the gates of the castle. They both were a bit nervous as they approached the portcullis. Neither spoke, but they clenched each other’s hands tightly. As they approached the gate, it was suddenly drawn up. They still saw no one, but they ventured inside. The castle’s courtyard was nothing like Nathan had imagined it. Grey outer walls surrounded a beautiful yard, which, in turn, surrounded a great white keep. Parked in the courtyard were a number of the strange aircraft Nathan had seen when he had first arrived. Liveried servants ran to and fro, all miniature people – gnomes, Nathan might call them. The spectacle of the gnomes running back and forth was almost enough to distract Nathan from the most striking thing of all about the courtyard – the other guests.

Spread around the courtyard were dozens, maybe hundreds, of other people. Nathan knew them all. There were old classmates, teachers, relatives, neighbors, even some of Jessica’s friends that Nathan only knew through her. Like Nathan and Jessica, they all looked a bit worn and dirty. And like Nathan and Jessica, every single one of them wore stones that weighed them down and impeded them. Some wore them around their waists like Nathan. Others had them on their ankles or their shoulders. Some had the stones draped around their neck. Two days ago, Nathan had been shocked to discover that Jessica was weighed down as he was. Now he found that everyone he knew stood before him with stones of their own. He had no time to speak to them, though, for at this moment, a door halfway up the keep opened and a trio of gnomes emerged with an enormous horn. Two of the gnomes in front bent over, resting the horn on their backs. The third gnome took a deep breath and blew the horn loudly. The walls shook as the horn bellowed.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30746

Then, the herald straightened and shouted as loud as he could, “Her majesty, the Empress!”

And with that announcement, a door at the base of the donjon opened and a gnome woman, decked in many lavish robes, strode forth. Nathan looked at her and squinted in concentration; he knew her face from somewhere! Then it struck him – her face had been on the watermelon he had eaten to begin this whole adventure. She rapped her staff on the ground to get everyone’s attention (though all eyes were already fixed on her), and she spoke “Welcome to my manor. I’m glad to see you all here. Congratulations on arriving despite the inclement weather. Please, make yourself at home – there’s no reason to still be wearing those stones.”

The crowd stirred and Nathan eagerly reached for his knots. They were as tight as the first day he had arrived, though. Try as he might, he could not release the cords. He looked around and saw that everyone had the same problem. Frustrated, he spoke, “Your majesty, our stones cannot be removed; these ropes are enchanted.”

The Empress laughed, “The stones certainly can be removed.”

Nathan was growing upset at her teasing, “Your majesty, I have tried. It is impossible.”

The Empress continued to chuckle as she looked at him, “Nathan,” she addressed him, “it is no more impossible than arriving safely here at my palace.”

Nathan grunted, “That would have been impossible too, except…” his voice trailed off and he looked up at Jessica. Then he addressed her quietly, “Jessica, I can’t untie these ropes. Can you?” Obliging, she stepped to him. Her hands were unsteady because of the weights hanging from them, but it didn’t matter. She barely touched the knots at Nathan’s waist and they unraveled themselves. Nathan felt himself lighten as the stones fell to the ground.

Jessica stepped back, surprised. Then, hope spread across her face. She touched her hands to her wrists and said, “Nathan…” He went to her, tugged on the knots ever so gently and they fell apart. The stones fell to the ground. The others in the courtyard saw this and became excited. They ran to each other and, soon, no one was burdened with a stone. Celebration erupted. The jumped and shouted and cheered. Nathan grabbed the ropes to his rocks and ran through the open portcullis. He took hold of the ropes and spun as if he were a state champion in the hammer throw instead of the hurdles. Then, he let them fly. The rocks spun through the air and finally caught in the branches of an old tree. Others cheered and ran to throw their stones from the mountain as well. Hundreds of stones littered the mountain side. Many, including Jessica’s, joined Nathan’s on the tree – hanged there, burdens put to death, never to weigh their owners down again.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30744

Nathan closed his eyes, leaned his head back, and spread his arms victoriously.

“Nathan,” the voice came. Then again, “Nathan, are you all right?” Nathan’s eyes snapped open and he looked around. His mother was standing near him, looking concerned. He was in his wheelchair, in his kitchen. A half-eaten piece of watermelon was in his hand. “Are you ok?” His mother asked, “You looked very ill for a moment just now.”

“I’m fine,” Nathan said, still dazed from what had just happened, but trying not to show it.

“Well, why are you inside? Most of the company is outside.”

Nathan had to think for a long time before he could remember all the details of what was going on. Then, as it all came back to him and he remembered the barbecue and the previous night, he answered, “Oh, sure. I just came in where it was quieter so I could make a phone call.” He took his cell phone out of his pocket. “I want to talk to Jess. I’m hoping she can come over.” As he dialed, he took another bite of watermelon.

First Post
Well, there it is :)

[sblock]It's late and I'm tired, so I'm going to keep this short. I like the story overall, but I am afraid that it sags a bit in the latter half of the middle (during the adventure across the fantastic land). Given more time, I'd love to add more interesting stuff to that section. Also, I have a nagging feeling that I'm overlooking some typos (the proofreading has been necessarily brief tonight :)). Ah well, such is the nature of a 72 hour story.

Best of luck, Trench!
[/sblock]

First Post
And now, having read my competition, let me say...
[sblock]
Trench said:
May The Air Bring You Down
<snip>really cool story<snip>
I really like this one, Trench. Very cool concept, and a touching story. Well done!

The two things I like most in a story are untethered imagination and deep, thought provoking characters/plot. I think you nailed both of those.
[/sblock]

Remove ads