• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ENWorld Fantasy Basketball IS HERE!!! (league now filled)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Count the Mistwell Maulers in as well.

I'm not too keen on the individual draft idea, but would happily go along with the crowd if that is the sentiment.

The awol users idea is a good one.

fujaiwei

First Post
The Sigil said:
Hey, look under my name... "Mr. 3000" ... word posts, that is... LOL.

REALLY SHORT VERSION:
We will use the Yahoo defaults with the following exceptions:

1.) We will conduct a "messageboard draft" where you make your picks one at a time on the ENWorld messageboards instead of ranking players and having Yahoo do an "autodraft." We will run as many rounds as we can get through before October 27th; if we haven't filled our rosters by then, I will input the draft picks that were made, and let Yahoo "autodraft" the rest.

2.) AWOL owners will have their lineups filled in case of injury or simply leaving a spot open for a week. This will be done in an arbitrary manner, by using Yahoo's "last month" ranking to fill slots and putting together the combination that puts the ten highest-rated players possible into the empty slots.

3.) The trade deadline will be moved from the default of "the day of the NBA trading deadline" to three days later.

There, that's the short version. :)

--The Sigil

Great, I'm on the list!

BTW, Thanks, I like it when people use little words. ;)

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Well, we're halfway home (6 owners) and there's still a little over a week until Yahoo opens its virtual doors... hopefully we can get another half dozen people "recruited" before then.

Oh, as far as determining the draft order goes, if Yahoo will do it automatically, I'll do it that way; if not, I will use the Opengaming.org Die Roller utility to assign the order if that's okay with everyone. We'll sort teams alphabetically by owner name and use the die roller to roll a die with results e-mailed to all interested parties; whoever the "die roll" picks would get the first pick. Then I take out the winner of the #1 overall pick, and roll again... that person (alphabetically) gets the second pick, and so on. So with 12 owners, I'd roll a d12 among the owners, then a d11 among everyone who didn't get the #1 pick, then a d10 among everyone who didn't have the #1 or #2 pick, etc.

Hopefully Yahoo will have a lottery, though... it would make my life much simpler. :p

--The Sigil

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I just wanted to make my pitch for NOT drafting individually, but instead going with Yahoo's draft.

I know one complaint about the Yahoo draft centered around how Yahoo ranked people. Well, I don't see that as a particularly valid contention. If you don't like how Yahoo ranks people, you rank them yourself. If you do like how Yahoo ranks people, that won't likely change for the individual draft system proposed, as you can just use Yahoo's suggestions. So drafting individually doesn't alter in any way the Yahoo ranking issue.

The other issue is that you can end up with too many of one position, and not enough of another position. That's true. And yet, that is what causes people to do a lot of trades early on.

EARLY TRADES ARE GOOD

Early trades are one of the key motivators for people to become familiar with each other early in the season, to engage in public discussions, to really analyze their teams weakenesses and strengths, and to generally get into the mood of the game.

Without the motivation for those early trades, I think the game will not be as fun. With the early trades being the primary motivator to get into the game itself, I think the impact of reducing the number of those early trades will harm the entire game throughout the season, as fewer people will feel connected to playing and connected to their fellow players.

THE NEW SYSTEM IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT

Finally, I think the individual draft will be a serious pain in the butt. It will require everyone to pay attention to this thread every day, before basketball season (which is, for me, pretty hard at the moment - but won't be hard once the season starts). We will have to quickly research all the remaining players, every time we make a choice. If anyone delays, it delays everyone else. And, as stated, if it is not done on schedule, it will cause Yahoo do to it anyone...and it is unclear how well Yahoo can do a PARTIAL draft, instead of a full draft. This system could end up as a mess, and act as a bad first impression for new players.

So, I'd like to keep the draft the way we have always done it, through Yahoo's built-in system. If we don't go that route, I won't pout and will go along with the crowd. But I think it will hurt the game, and be a pain in the butt.

The Sigil

If it'll help, Mistwell, I'll just shoot you an email or PM whenever your turn comes up in the draft; then you don't have to check all the time. ;)

I've done both ways and I really do prefer the "semi-live" messageboard draft... because you can react to trends and (even better) because there's nothing quite like hearing a "GOSH DANG IT!" from the poor sucker drafting after you when you take "his guy." :)

Please at least give it a try; if it bombs, well, we certainly won't use it next season.

--The Sigil

Last edited:

LeapingShark

First Post
Either way is fine with me.

What about Yahoo's built-in live draft? That way all the organization is done for us. When somebody isn't able to file a pick within their time window, Yahoo selects the best player for you. Right? Do they let each league select their own draft speed? (a wider pick window to make it easier on tight schedules)

The Sigil

I don't know about Yahoo's Livedraft, but my sense is that it pretty much requires everyone to be logged in simultaneously. Coordinating 12 peoples' schedules to do that is darn near impossible, thus I think a messageboard draft is a nice way to it.

The "best" way is always to get together and do a "live draft" in person (an excuse to party) but obviously, that's impractical; a live internet draft would be next best, but I think that it's too hard to get everyone in at the same time with widely varying time zones. Messageboards are IMO the next best thing; not quite as fast or fun, but still keeps everyone involved.

Also, we could stand to do a little recruiting; if everyone can get one other person involved over the next week, we'll be all set and ready to start right when the Yahoo season opens. You don't "have to" do so, but if there's anyone you think might be interested, now would be a good time to bug 'em.

--The Sigil

LeapingShark

First Post
Another thought to toss on the table for review. What about making trades during the draft? And how about trading your draft spots before or during the draft? Not sure if I'd want to do this though (just brainstorming here).

The Sigil

Trading picks during the draft could be a bit dodgy - while Yahoo doesn't support it, it's not too hard to simply change who drafts whom when I manually enter stuff. However, I would say that it would have to be a 1-for-1 or 2-for-2 trade to be done during the draft; doing otherwise just doesn't work when I go to enter the draft picks. If you want to do 2-for-1 or 3-for-2 trades, you'd have to wait until the draft was finished and then do it through Yahoo with the other owner.

Remove ads