Enworld Short Story Smackdown (aka Ceramic DM) - sign-up thread

Gulla

Adventurer
Hellefire said:
Hm, interesting. It shows your post as an hour earlier for me too. Last time, it showed me other times (as in, when the pics were posted for example) the same time it showed everyone else, but showed my posts an hour earlier than it showed everyone else. Anyway, to be sure, I'll make sure to post at least an hour earlier, just to be safe.
You are aware that you can set this in your User Control Panel?

You select "Edit Options" in the menu to the right (from the user control panel) and scroll down to "Date & Time options". There you can set your timezone and select if you want to automagically aply Daylight Saving.

The first post of this thread for me is posted 06-16-07 05:00 PM...

So normally you have 72 hours from the posting stamp on the original post, and even though this would be a different time (of the day) for each time zone, the time between two postings should be easy to see for anyone.

Håkon

Hellefire

First Post
Gulla said:
So normally you have 72 hours from the posting stamp on the original post, and even though this would be a different time (of the day) for each time zone, the time between two postings should be easy to see for anyone.

Håkon

The problem was it showed me and everyone else the same time stamp for the pic post (say 2pm), but for *my* posts it showed me a different time than it showed everyone else. The time stamp it showed me for my story was, say, 1:40pm, but for everyone in the U.S. it showed 2:40pm.

It has been my theory that the difference was caused by the fact that U.S. daylight savings time happens a week or two before or after European (well Polish anyway) time change, and this occurred during that time. So, I think the server software was applying daylight saving changes according to the U.S. time change. I talked to PC about it but don't think we ever definitively tracked down the issue. Maybe something to play with during the next time change or two.

Aaron

Toras

First Post
I would like to participate. If nothing else, it will be a learning experience. (Writing that is, I could not judge another for something like this)

Berandor

lunatic
Piratecat said:
I really want to participate, but the timing might be tricky; I have the end of ENnies judging, followed by work crunch until I get a game out the door. I'm going to be useless until August.

I'll be in for Autumn, though! :D
Same for me, just for different reasons.

But save me a seat in Autumn, so that I can oust the one-eyed cat – it's not too early to start trash-talking, is it?

I'll try to comment on the stories this time around, though.

Edit: I just saw Rodrigo "pinged" me. Gulla's PM came through. Did you use email (post (at) p-pricken.de)? Anyway, what can I do for you? :)

Last edited:

questing gm

First Post
Hellefire said:
Just as a minor warning, especially those in other countries (than the U.S.) I had a minor problem in the last CDM I wrote for. It had to do with time zones, and I think particularly between the different daylight saving time switchovers for different locations. It showed me a posting time 1 hour different than the posting time it showed everyone. I posted my story with about 20 minutes left, but to everyone else it said I was 40 min late. Through discussion my posting was allowed to stand, but this is something to watch for.

Just to be sure, can someone tell me what time it shows for the first post of this thread?

Thanks,
Aaron

Well noted. That happened to me when i first joined in and ended up my submission was late by a day...

Berandor

lunatic
Heh,

just now I received both Rodrigo's message (from June 18th) and a reminder of Gulla's PM (from the 20th) in my email account.

Hellefire

First Post
Sign-ups seem to be a bit slow. I'm going to give it 2-3 more days, then if there isnt more interest will utilize a couple of the if necessary judges and writes and we'll be looking at 3 judges and 8 contestants (so 3 rounds). We'll see how it goes though.

Aaron

Gulla

Adventurer
Hard to tell. I guess Hellfire will be back today, but that is just a wild guess. Anyway I think there is at least some alternate places left anyway.

Håkon
always cheering for the new blood (except when Berandor, Siala or PirateCat is writing ;) )

Remove ads