Epic D&D 3.5: The Eye of Profane Truth [full]

Voidrazor

First Post
It was a line from the 2nd polymorph article that tripped me up. Anyway, I'm at work now so I don't have access to MM III to see if the Astral Stalker's Improved Init is a bonus feat or not. But I'll switch the feat back in if it doesn't come with the form. My guess is it doesn't.

That 'lose all supernatural abilities' line not applying to class abilitities does change things slightly. I'm happy to go ahead other than possibly switching Imp Init back in, but I'll keep fiddling with the char also. One of the big attractions of the Storm Giant form was Freedom of Movement which the Travel domain also provides as a supernatural ability.

Rkhet

First Post
Don't worry too much about statting your alternate forms. Changing is a free action once per round, and you'll probably go through a lot of forms.

If you make a spreadsheet with your derivative stats tied into your base stats, you can come up with alternative forms really quickly.

In fact, it would be a good idea even without shapechanging. Next time I DM something like this, I am going to demand characters in excel format.

Rkhet

First Post
Voidrazor:

SRD said:
Same Effect with Differing Results

The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.

In other words, Energy Immunity makes you immune to ONE energy type, no matter how many times you cast it.

Also, check your item cost total. I'm coming up with 5,009,525.

Pyrex

First Post
If you want to rule that way, that's fine, but I have to disagree with your interpretation of the rule there.

Immunity: Fire and Immunity: Sonic are two seperate effects produced by a modal spell, not variable quantities of the same effect.

My understanding is that that ruling prevents you from stacking False Life spells to gain hundreds of temporary HP.

Rkhet

First Post
They are not variable quantities of the same effect, that is true. But this doesn't matter. The key phrase here is "varying effects".

Are sonic immunity and fire immunity both effects? Do they vary?

Then it is applicable.

Rkhet

First Post
SRD said:
The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.

An alternative interpretation here would be that the first sentence is simply a statement of fact, and the actual ruling starts with the second sentence. In other words, the rule applies regardless of whether a spell produces 'varying effects' at all. Hmmm... I think I like my other interpretation better.

Voidrazor

First Post
I'm not sure that I agree with the ruling either, since the SRD specifies that the other effects aren't removed only irrelevant. But I'm more than happy with Orgesht's defenses anyway. I updated the sheet and checked the gp totals twice. Hopefully he'll actually be ready to go this time (crossing fingers).

Rkhet

First Post
I interpret the 'aren't removed' like this:

Say you have Immunity vs fire and Immunity vs Sonic active. Because you cast Immunity vs Sonic last, you are immune to that, but not fire.

If you are hit by a dispel and lose your sonic immunity, you are now immune to fire.

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'varying', 'trumps', and 'irrelevant'.

In the end, let's all blame WoTC.

Rkhet

First Post
The Incense of Meditation is insanely powerful for less than five thousand gold. Especially since, by strict interpretation, it works on arcane spells as well, so long as used by 'a divine caster'.

New houserule:

A single block of incense, burnt for 8 hours, lets you prepare one divine spell of up to 9th level as if affected by the Maximize Spell feat, at normal spell level. You may benefit from only one block of incense each time you prepare spells.

VR: note down the spell you want maximized. Also note down that you have used one of your ten blocks of incense. Otherwise, you look good to go.

Remove ads