Epic D&D campaign (still recruiting)

Dharuhk Svahre

First Post
Just to let people know, I'm still tying to fill out a second party, which has a few slots left open in it.

The characters themselves have no memory past when they origionally died, and find themselves born on a strange isolated island filled with turmoil, hate, and a deperate few willing to hope for a better life. They have no knowledge of the experiment they were created to participate in, nor do the islands inhabitants.

Simply speaking, the campaign consists of a world of clay that the adventurers can mold into whatever they choose. In terms of character personality, the idea here is not creating the character personality as characters level up, but to have the characters instead rediscover who they are and how they will fit into a new and strange world.

Rules time!

I'm going to be allowing core and completes entirely, while any other sources will require a yes or no answer, though for the most part I intend to be fairly liberal when it comes to that. I am looking for PCs more geared for a fun adventure rather than a number crunch, but I don't really intend to discriminate. Odd sources ar encouraged ;).

Alignment is completely open, good or evil is fine. If I have enough interest I can run multiple parties of varying sizes in the world at once, or even single PCs or pairs if some people decide they want to do their own thing. The island will have enough content on it to run it that way.

When it comes to combat vs non-combat characters I will say this. You're interactions with this world and how in depth they are depend entirely on how much you want them to be. In alot of ways this will be reflected by how you make your character. My goal as a DM is to make sure PCs get use out of every aspect of their characters so nobody feels they took a skill for no reason or their crafting isn't working out very well. (btw, no item creation chart. Crafting can only make premade effects. Item slot switching/doubling up is fine though.)

I need to know how your characters died. Not only do I need how your characters died, I need WHEN your characters died as well. As such, pick a number between 1 and 10,000 and slot your life span into it. Remember to figure out how old you were. This can also be important because later players will know of the older players exploits.

Now, I'm adding a bit of homework to character backgrounds as to how they pertain to knowledge checks. I would like each character to have 5-10 things known about them or exploits thay have accomplished, or important events they were involved in. After that, pick a knowledge skill (or more should you choose) to be associated with your character, in addition to knowledge history. Then I would like you to pick a base Knowledge Check DC for each piece of info between 10 and 40, then add a d20 to determine the Knowledge check DC.

This process is optional for you to do, however I will warn anybody who chooses to skip the process or submit less than 5 things that I will be going through your characters and choosing information and DCs myself. Long story short if there are facts about your character you want to remain hidden, then choose for me.

I'm gonna clarify my magic item rules.
Magic Item Stacking: Yes
Magic Item Slot switching: Yes
Item Creation Chart: No
Buying Duplicates of Times/Day Items (i.e. mostly from MiC): No
Adding Enhancements to Specific Weapons/Armor (i.e. souldrinker): No

HPs will be rolled. I do use XP penalties for multiclassing. Inherant bonuses kick in at level 20 with one exception based off of if you put any level bonus into int. You have to have the int bonus put into it at the level the bonus would take effect.
+1 into int = +1 Inherant at level 19
+2 into int = +1 at 18, +2 at 19
+3 into int = +1 at 17, +2 at 18, +3 at 19
+4 into int = +1 at 16, +2 at 17, +3 at 18, +4 at 19

I don't allow Thri-Kreen, Unearthed Arcana, Mord's Disjunction and all holy word style spells, Shapechange.

I allow spell turning to turn rays.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
To help you out will let you know interest would depend on a lot of things.

- What sources are allowed (would be the main one).
- What would the players be doing since they can save the world before morning tea. (Or at least should be able to)
- You say campaign but how long are you looking for it to truly last and how much lvling up will occur?

Also a lot of players like to build their character up personality wise and such as they go from lower lvls to higher. Maybe a campaign starting at somewhere between 10th-15th lvl would be more something people would be interested in as they could RP the change from Greater Hero to Epic Hero. :)

And finally a lot of people are interested in Pathfinder if you have and thought about running this you might get a few more takers. Not saying 3.5 is a worse system. It's just a lot are making the switch and it is easier to keep your rules separate if you only play the one.

So I guess a little more info is needed to get people posting up questions about what it is you wish to do.

Good luck, I will keep an eye out and pop in from time to time.

HM

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Need a great deal more info than that before interest can be determined.

What kind of game are you talking? Save the multiverse? Planehopping for fun and profits? Ruling the world? Ascending to godhood?

In PBP especially, epic combat can draaaaaaaag out...so it's important to have a lot of noncombat stuff going on too. Epic dungeon crawls are a bit tedious. Encounters work better when there's a larger context for why we're there and what we're doing.

Also, what kind of setting do you have in mind? Homebrew? One of the many established D&D settings? Something wild and crazy? Something staid and well known?

Sizzle the concept...make us want it. :)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
To help you out will let you know interest would depend on a lot of things.
**snip**

Good luck, I will keep an eye out and pop in from time to time.

HM

Need a great deal more info than that before interest can be determined.
**snip**

Sizzle the concept...make us want it. :)
you two are hilarious. one minute apart and you didn't even know it.

Just wanted to say good luck on your game now that I see you were told the same as what I was going to say. Twice even.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Whatever the level, I'll be interested.

I thought there wouldn't be any Epic games here until I started one up!
ER.. I mean.. nobody read that last part right?
*innocent Whistle*

*L* Anyways, the others are right in that you'll need to say more about what you want to run before you'll get many commited responses.

Also, Scott: hilarious. Spelling Nazi strikes again!

Rathan

First Post
I'm calling a spot if possible... I don't have access to all the books... or make as fancy a character as most here.. but I looooove making high level characters. Color me *very* interested!

Dharuhk Svahre

First Post
Alrighty, looks like I have enough heads turned my way to flesh out the campaign. The name of the game is "Dead Legends". A mad scientist of epic proportions has developted a method to recreate the greatest beings of history. He does so in order to get them to assist him in testing and improving his hideous creations. His goal, to be in control of the strongest creatures of all time.

The characters themselves have no memory past when they origionally died, and find themselves born on a strange isolated island filled with turmoil, hate, and a deperate few willing to hope for a better life. They have no knowledge of the experiment they were created to participate in, nor do the islands inhabitants.

Simply speaking, the campaign consists of a world of clay that the adventurers can mold into whatever they choose. In terms of character personality, the idea here is not creating the character personality as characters level up, but to have the characters instead rediscover who they are and how they will fit into a new and strange world.

Rules time!

I'm going to be allowing core and completes entirely, while any other sources will require a yes or no answer, though for the most part I intend to be fairly liberal when it comes to that. I am looking for PCs more geared for a fun adventure rather than a number crunch, but I don't really intend to discriminate. Odd sources ar encouraged ;).

Alignment is completely open, good or evil is fine. If I have enough interest I can run multiple parties of varying sizes in the world at once, or even single PCs or pairs if some people decide they want to do their own thing. The island will have enough content on it to run it that way.

When it comes to combat vs non-combat characters I will say this. You're interactions with this world and how in depth they are depend entirely on how much you want them to be. In alot of ways this will be reflected by how you make your character. My goal as a DM is to make sure PCs get use out of every aspect of their characters so nobody feels they took a skill for no reason or their crafting isn't working out very well. (btw, no item creation chart. Crafting can only make premade effects. Item slto swtiching/doubling up is fine though.)

I'll go into more specifics once people have decided yay or nay and we have narrowed down a level.

I will give one last note, and that is as a DM I'm going for fun and crazy here. The higher level the party the more I get to reach into the near infinite depth of 3.5 D&D monsters, templates, and races to come up with some seriously fun and unique baddies. As an example, one of the planned recurring baddies of this campaign is going to be called a Hycatoncheidra. I'll give a bonus to the first person to figure out what it is :p

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm. Trapped on an island. So from that I assume we probably shouldn't invest too heavily on spells or items that give us long range or planar travel abilities, eh? :)

Rathan

First Post
Ok.. well no one else seems to be jumping on the level question so I guess I'll throw out some numbers here.

I'd say at least 30... 30 is a nice round number but if someone wants something else please speak up but 30 is my vote at the moment...

EDIT: Also Dharuhk Svahre... what are we doing for stats?... Point buy?... If so how many points? 4d6 drop lowest?

EDIT2: Also... where are we starting wealth-wise at 30?

Last edited:

Remove ads