Epic Fail Chart

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
1- Double Fumble- In an incomprehensible series of never before seen mishaps, you behead yourself.

An incomprehensible series of never before seen mishaps which occurs 1 in 400 attacks?

Or if fumbles only occur on a 1 followed by another 1 which still occurs 1 in 8000 attacks?

Maybe it is a really peaceful world, where not many attacks happen :)

(all said in fun!)

NewJeffCT

First Post
I'd advise against a chart which kicks in every time someone rolls a 1 - it punishes those characters who are skilled enough to make multiple attack rolls.

I think it punishes players unfairly overall. Most monsters/bad guys are designed to last for one encounter. Players are meant to last through at least an entire adventure/module, if not the duration of a campaign.

If anything permanent comes out of the critical fumble/epic fail chart, then the penalty weighs more heavily on the player. (i.e., roll a "1" and then another "1" and you get "weapon breaks" or some sort of permanent injury)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think it punishes players unfairly overall. Most monsters/bad guys are designed to last for one encounter. Players are meant to last through at least an entire adventure/module, if not the duration of a campaign.

If anything permanent comes out of the critical fumble/epic fail chart, then the penalty weighs more heavily on the player. (i.e., roll a "1" and then another "1" and you get "weapon breaks" or some sort of permanent injury)

I agree; at worst it should have the character fall prone or similar momentary effects. It shouldn't take away turns or actions, and it shouldn't have any serious or permanent effects.

Also, my preference (and the one we used) is that it's optional. Once per turn only you can choose to reroll a natural 1. A hit is a hit, a miss is a fumble. Or you can choose not to reroll it and just keep the regular auto-miss. Keeps it completely in the player's control.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
For no good reason, here is the epic D&D "Random Harlot Table."

random_harlot_table.jpg

And for no good reason, sounds like it's time to have fun with statuses...

Damn! Missed Sly Pimp by 1...

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Thanks for the bonus Traveon!:lol:

Never saw that one, I wonder if anyone has a copy of that chart somewhere.

I can't find any copies of the actual article anywhere, or at least not any legal copies...:eek: But if you do a search on the article name, you'll find a ton of homebrews based off the original article. The homebrews are usually just fan updates to 3E/3.5E, or basically the original charts with small tweaks for their home campaigns or other systems (I even found a Palladium version).

For the original article though, it was titled "Good Hits and Bad Misses" from Dragon #39 (written by Carl Parlagreco). However, the magazines are no longer available. Dragon_#39_at_Paizo_-_unavailable and also in Best_of_Dragon_#5_at_Paizo_-_unavailable.

Paizo did a 3E/3.5E upgrade in the Dragon Compendium, Vol. I. But it's a hardcover (no pdf) and runs $39.95. It is available however. Dragon_Compendium,_Vol._I_at_Paizo

Stormonu

Legend
Sadly, I've lost the fumble chart I used for my 2E/3E days.

We also used a "confirm the fumble" rule as well. On a roll of natural 1, you made a second attack roll. If you hit the opponent's touch AC, you managed to avoid the fumble (and I've seen some groups use a Reflex save). This allowed more competent/higher level PCs to fumble less often.

Looking to add some new flavor to our D&D campaign. My DM said she had an epic fail chart at one point and thought it would be great for us. Does anyone have one or know of where I can download one?

SHE?
This thread is a trap! If I've learned anything from gaming in my 31 is that girls don't play DnD! :D

*ducks*

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
Sadly, I've lost the fumble chart I used for my 2E/3E days.

We also used a "confirm the fumble" rule as well. On a roll of natural 1, you made a second attack roll. If you hit the opponent's touch AC, you managed to avoid the fumble (and I've seen some groups use a Reflex save). This allowed more competent/higher level PCs to fumble less often.

We used the old chart from Dragon back in the day. But it was too wacky. So now we go with a DC15 reflex save (3.5 edition). If you save, you've simply missed your attack that round. If you fail, you've dropped your weapon nearby and can retrieve it next round and attack (AoO may apply). If you critically fail (1), the weapon makes a save. If the weapon fails the save, it breaks. If it makes the save, you've accidentally dropped it out of reach and must move to retrieve it or draw another weapon.

Most common result is that the character has simply missed that round. About 15% of the time they drop it within reach. 5% of the time they are either moving to get it back or drawing another weapon. No one has ever had a weapon fail a saving throw. :D

Stormonu

Legend
Ah, I finally found a copy - here are the 2E rules I had for fumbles...

Critical Fumble Table

Method: Whenever an attacking being rolls a natural 1 on 1d20, there is a chance for a critical fumble to occur. The being must make an immediate Saving Throw vs. Petrification to avoid a fumble. If the saving throw is successful, the attacking being has recovered, and suffers no ill effects. If the saving throw is failed, roll on the table below to determine what sort of fumble occurs. If the saving throw is failed with a result of 2, add +2 to the roll below. If the saving throw is failed with a 1, add +4 to the roll below.

1d20 roll Result
1 - 2 Attacker drops weapon. The attacker must spend an action if he wishes to retrieve it.
3 Attacker momentarily distracted; loses next action
4 Attacker steps on loose footing, loses next initiative
5 Attacker’s balance unstable (-2 to hit) until an action is taken to stop and fix problem
6 Attacker trips and falls prone (-2 to hit, +2 bonus to be hit)
7 Attacker blinded (-4 to hit) until an action/attack is spent to clear eyes.
8 Attacker backed into obstacle, at –2 to hit until character can get free of obstacle4
9 Attacker’s weapon suffers critical impact.1
10 Attacker’s shield arm struck.2
11 Attacker’s Armor damaged.3
12 Attacker’s weapon arm struck.2
13 Attacker leaves opening for opponent to gain an instant free attack.
14 Attacker turns back to opponent, giving opponent a free attack at a +4 bonus to hit.
15 Attacker’s weapon bounces back to strike attacker; takes ½ normal damage strike from own weapon
16 Attacker steps into opponent’s swing, taking full damage.
17 Attacker steps into nearest ally’s attack, taking full damage
18 Attacker trips and falls on own weapon. Attacker takes full damage from weapon (no strength or magic modifiers), and is at –2 to hit and +2 to be hit until back on his own feet.
19 Attacker’s wild swing causes nearest ally to save vs. Petrification or drop prone (Ally is –2 to hit and +2 bonus to hit until he stands back up)
20 Attacker accidentally strikes at nearest ally. Ally must make a Saving throw vs. Petrification to avoid taking a full-damage attack
21 Attacker’s becomes entangled with opponent.4
22 Attacker’s weapon becomes entangled in obstacle.4
23 Attacker pinned (opponent gains +4 bonus to hit) until freed by an ally.
24 Attacker stumbles and knocks self unconscious for 1d4 rounds.

1 -The affected item must make a saving throw vs. crushing blow to avoid being damaged. If failed, the item is destroyed.
2 -If the attacker has a shield, the item must make a saving throw vs. crushing blow to avoid being damaged. If failed, the shield is destroyed. If the attacker has no shield, gauntlets and/or bracers are affected ,as above. If the attacker has none of these, he must make a saving throw vs. crushing blow (using bone) or the affected character’s arm is rendered useless by the attack. It may be healed by the application of a Cure Serious Wounds or other magic. Tending to the useless arm with healing will allow the arm to be used once 8 hit points worth of healing has occurred (either overnight or by magical means). If left unattended, the arm regains use once 16 hit points of healing has occurred.
3 -The Armor must make a saving throw vs. crushing blow to avoid being damaged. If failed, the item’s armor class is worsened by 1, and worsened by 2 if the item fails the saving throw with a 1.
4 – The affected must make successful strength checks with their next action to free themselves. Until untangled, the affected may not attack.

Remove ads