Epic Level Spells: Better or Worse than 9th level spells?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
where does all that gold come from and go to? i mean really 1.5million gold?
The ELH does address this kind of question. One quote says something like, "If your players wanted to convert their wealth into gold, they'd have a metallic lump the size of a small moon." The point is that they can't convert it into gold; there isn't that much cash available in any normal economy. Epic characters' wealth consists of magic items and such.

A real life parallel might be Bill Gates. On paper he's worth more billions than I want to think about, but all that money is tied up in assets-- computers, cars, wives, the gigantic house, and of course a ton of stock. He doesn't have a Scrooge-McDuck-style "money pit" filled with cash; even if he wanted one, he probably couldn't get his hands on that many Sacajawea dollar coins.

As for spending on epic spells, all that wealth isn't spent as cash. Maybe you need a specific power component that you haven't time to retrieve personally; you can hire a lower-level adventuring party to get it for you, and reward them with powerful magic items. Perhaps developing your spell requires information from a diety, who will answer your question if you construct a new cathedral for his followers. The DM can play out this kind of thing if he wishes, but it's easier to assume that it happens during downtime.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
drnuncheon said:

Circle of Life
Conjuration (Healing)
Spellcraft DC: 57
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 action
Area: 20-ft burst centered on caster
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
To Develop: 513000 gp, 11 days, 20520 xp;Seed: life (DC 27). Factor: change touch to 20' radius burst (+10 DC), 1 action casting time (+20 DC)

Now change resurrection to True Resurrection and I would think *that* should be included in the Epic Life seed. I don't really care about the casting time, the standard 10 minutes would be fine (reducing the DC).

Point is, the Epic Seed of Life doesn't have this, the basic functionality of a 9th level revival spell.

HEL Pit Fiend

First Post
Epic spells are fine, just don't expect much from them at "low" epic levels, PC's spellcrafts just aren't high enough.

We are playing a "medium" epic level campaign, we made up characters at 30th to 32nd level. Our 32nd level wizard specializes in epic spells and has a +100 spellcraft headband valued at 2 million gold, and he has 3.9 million gold in other gear.

At "only" 32nd level, with a spellcraft of over 160 (can't remember exact number), he uses some wicked epic spells. Thank wizards he can only cast 3 per day.........

Remove ads