• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Problem : Prevention

Pyrex

First Post
OOC: Who'd've thought a 90' Fly speed wouldn't be fast enough? ;)

Leaping into the air with Lochlan on his back, the mighty griffon Zephyr does his best to keep up with the dragons.

Jemal

Adventurer
As you speed south, the Mighty griffon at first strains to keep up, but then feels again the brush of the Halfling as you went through the portal. With a great surge of power, Zephyr finds he is able to keep up to the dragons easily, even outdistancing them sometimes, until he is reigned in*see below*.

When you come close enough to see the city of Islo, you also see an army (a few thousand warriors dressed in black armour, and numerous siege engines) attacking it, being aided by dozens of young white dragons. Circling the air, too, are gleaming figures on the backs of silver dragons, none larger than Xianet, though they number less than half of the white's. As you speed closer, you notice several dozen gleaming holy warriors amongst the darker armour down below, cutting paths through the army, trying not to be overwhelmed. From the tower in the middle of the city stream fireballs and bolts of energy, some slamming into the White dragon's that get too close, others finding their way into the army. A return volley spits forth from the army, every 10th member seeming to fling magical spells, causing the magical wards around the tower to begin crumbling. There's a group of a couple hundred Silver knights in formation guarding the main gates.

The army itself is all around, dragons circle above the city, and as you close, a gigantic black form swoops down from the clouds, chasing a smaller Silver dragon. It catches the Silver and shreds its wings, sending it plumetting hundreds of feet as the Gargantuan Black Wyrm lets out a roar, spitting acid into the city's walls, a section of them begins melting. The black and red figure on it's back raises his sword, and wheels the dragon about, noticing your approach. They are about 1000 feet away. The city is a hundred or so feet behind them, and as stated before, dragons and army all around.

*OOC: The blessing from the halfling gave each of you, and your cohorts/mounts some special power, which will appear when it is first needed. Apparently, Zephyr's is that he can double his speed once per day, and it lasts until he stops or slows to his normal speed.
BTW, I prefer to use a bit more free-form location system in Epic battle. If a specific distance matters, I'll tell you(Such as with the city and the black figure), so otherwise, assume you can get into position to shoot a good portion of the army, or siege engines, or a dragon or two.

Last edited:

Darimaus

First Post
Mary surveys the battle for a second. Knowing what she must do, she shouts down at her ride.

"Athearkepeskorn, I need you to get me to that gate. If you can, try and fly by as many warriors of good as you can. We need to turn the tides on these evil invaders before too many lives are lost."

With that, she starts singing, her voice carrying over any part of the battlefield the dragon passes by.

OOC: Mary is going to employ Inspire Excellence to give everyone who hears her +12 Con, and takes 30d4 subduel damage, and her Inspire Courage to give +9 to hit and damage and takes 3d4 Subduel. She will cast Lingering Chorus to continue the Inspire Excellence going, and then use another one to give everyone who hears +12 Str for another 30d4 Subduel. Anyone who hears as long as I am singing (allies of course), get these bonuses.

Shayuri

First Post
Athearkepeskorn grins toothily.

"BATTLE!"

He quickly swaps rings, slipping a deep red copper one onto his foreclaw in replacement of the gold band that had been there before. Then he casts spells...on each of himself, Mary, and Rhodia. Each of them, buoyed as they are by Mary's music, feels a little extra uplift. (casting Heroism on all three).

"Ready Rhodia!"

The elf dragonrider nods, and white energy builds around her hands.

"WE GO!"

The great silver wings beat at the air as Athearkepeskorn accelerates and begins descending towards the battle. Rhodia starts unleashing blasts of energy from a startling distance, striking targets from nearly 400' feet away with bolts that split on impact, hitting 5 additional targets with each shot. As she does, the dragon casts another spell, further girding his defenses (Shield).

(OOC - Intent: do a low flyby over enemy troops, gassing the lot of them with paralysis breath, then continue flyby over city troops to bolster them with bardsong. Rhodia will do long range fire as we approach and/or cover my back and tail against aerial foes, using repelling blasts to keep divers off me.)

[sblock=buffs and stuff]In addition to the bonuses from Mary's bardsong, Athear & Co are +2 to all saves and to hit. Athear has swapped his Ring of Protection for Ring of Fire Immunity and his AC is therefore 58 (including a Shield spell) and he's immune to fire. Both he and Rhodia have activated their Rings of Spell Turning.

Rhodia is firing Chained Repelling Eldritch Blasts that are +25 to hit as ranged touches, and do 15d6 to primary targets, chain to 5 other targets that Rhodia can select within 30' and do 7d6 to each of them. Reflex saves vs DC 24 as well, or the targets get blown backwards and off their feet. Range of blast is 375'[/sblock]

Wrahn

First Post
"Spread out, but stay close. We will deal with this army after we deal with that." He points his sword at the rider on the dragon.

He glances around for a moment and then he sees what he is looking for. Disappearing from one location and appearing instantly in another, he arrives in a ray of light shining down from a break in the clouds. His sword shimmers briefly and becomes a mighty trumpet for which his race draws it's name.

Drawing in breath he sound the trumpet with the pure clarity of the celestials, heard for miles around. The clarion brought with it the knowledge Islo's cries had reached Heaven and Heaven had answered.

He moves back to the group and prepares for combat.

OOC-
Quickshift to the dramatic shaft of light (Quickened action) Sounds Trumpet (shouldn't effect anyone, just for dramatic effect) (standard action), Moves back close to group (180') (move action). He extends his greater cloak of Bravery (+2 Morale bonus to hit, immune to fear to any ally that can see him and is within a mile) to the city and it's defenders.

I am assuming he has had enough time to put activate his shield.

Ivellious

First Post
Tharivol tells Xialanet, "Fly towards the gate as quickly as you can, and take out as many of them as you can along the way." Xialanet nods as she does what she's told, breathing her paralysis cone.

Occ Pretty much the same as Athearkepeskorn except going to the gate to help defend it

Pyrex

First Post
Wrahn said:
"Spread out, but stay close. We will deal with this army after we deal with that." He points his sword at the rider on the dragon.

"I agree. The dragon is the greatest threat and must be dealt with first."

Lochlan casts Find the Gap as Zephyr begins to dive towards the massive black dragon.

OOC: Lochlan casts then readies his weapon. Zephyr takes a full-round Run action diving towards the dragon.

Active (non-Permanent) Effects
[sblock]
+12 Con & Str (Morale, Bardsong, Mary)
+9 to Hit & Damage (Morale, Bardsong, Mary)
Find the Gap (Spell, Lochlan) Lasts 1rd/level, while active, the first melee attack each round is resolved as a Touch attack.
[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
ISLO Round 1

[sblock=Initiative order]
Silver Dragons - Go first. (nat 20)
Minathiel - 25
Lochlan & Zephyr - 24(a)
Dark Dragon & Warrior - 24(b)
Good Army - 22
Mary - 21
Evil Army - 16
Athear & Rhodia - 14
White Dragons - 11
Tharivol & Xialanet - 5
(For simplicity's sake, rider and mount use the Player's init when together)
[/sblock]

The Silver Dragons and their Riders form up and dive at a group of White Dragons, two to each of the White's, shredding 3 of them, as Spells and Arrows fly from the riders on their backs, felling another one.

Minathiel appears bathed in sunlight for all to see, and sounds his horn loudly. There is a brief pause as all glance up, seeing this celestial being resplendant in the sunlight.

While Lochlan casts his spell and readies his staff, Zephyr charges full out, still bolstered with speed, at the Dragon, closing the distance rapidly, and the Dragon, seeing a challenge, responds in kind. (*You pass by each other at full speed, AoO's for the riders.*). Lochlan and the Dark Warrior pass right by each other, Greatsword and Full Plate facing off against Quarterstaff and Exalted Dedication. Lochlan's quarterstaff connects fully with the Warrior's chestplate with a resounding clang that seems to phase him(136 damage). The Warrior's return blow shows that he's not through yet, as he nearly knocks Lochlan off his griffon (74 damage).

The defending knights Cheer, They now see an Archon and a larger Silver Dragon appear, and a celestial griffon charging the Black Dragon. Their cheer quickly turns to song as a pair of fireballs stream from the tower, blasting into the Dark army.

For the king for the land for the mountains
for the green valleys where dragons fly
for the glory the power to meet the black lord
I will search for the emerald sword

Mary, about to sing her own, pauses to listen.. The song stirs something deep within her, and she begins singing along in a Beautiful, Clear voice. (166 Subdual damage from Words of Creation). Athear and Xialanet also feel the song pull at something primal in their past.

The Dark army continues it's assault on Islo and it's defenders, some heading for the hole the Dragon struck in the walls, and the White's turn on the Silver's, a fearsome tangle of wings and Fangs ensuing, in which 2 Silvers plummet, one crashing into the city, and a third veers away, trying to land with a broken wing.

7 of the Whites head towards the two new Silver's on the battlefield, 5 at Athear, 2 at Xialanet.

Athear and Rhodia dive at the army, a dose of Gas paralysing many of them while Rhodia blasts at the White Dragons closing chaining 3 of them together with Eldritch power(60 damage, chains were 26). Though none of them fall, they are all blasted backwards by the force, their momentum halted. The last two finally reach them, trying to clamp their jaws onto Athear's neck, though he bats them aside(misses).
In addition, many of the Dark soldiers begin cowering with fear as the Huge Silver flashes so closely overhead. (Athear is Now 1000 feet from gate)

The other two charge Xialanet, both getting in lucky bites. (18 and 12 damage)

Xialanet and Tharivol, suddenly surrounded, find they have more pressing matters to deal with. Hovering before them, they let loose, attempting to clear the way as quickly as possible. Xialanet lets loose with a Bite/claw/claw/tail slap that batters one of their opponents, sending it spiraling down, while Tharivol gives the second a few deep cuts, before cleaving off it's head (Crit).
[ooc: Xialanet Power Attacked b/c there's not really any way to miss, (especially with the +15 attack from the song) If you'd prefer to still head for the gate (Provoking AoO's from the three dragons), post such and I'll change it]

[sblock=Lyrevan Theme Song]
I crossed the valleys the dust of midlands
to search for the third key to open the gates
Now I'm near the altar the secret inside
As legend told my beloved sun light the dragons eyes
On the way to the glory I'll honour my sword
to serve right ideals and justice for all

Finally happened the sun lit their eyes
the spell was creating strange games of light
Thanks to hidden mirrors I found my lost way
over the stones I reached the place it was a secret cave
In a long bloody battle that prophecies told
the light will prevail hence wisdom is gold

Only a warrior with a clear heart
could have the honour to be kissed by the sun
Yes, I'm that warrior I followed my way
led by the force of cosmic soul I can reach the sword
On the way to the glory I'll honour my sword
to serve right ideas and justice for all

[/sblock]

OOC: The song is Emerald Sword by an Italian Symphonic Power Metal band, 'Rhapsody of Fire'. The first time my friends and I heard it, it just fit the story of the country so well, and along with music by the band Nightwish helped inspire certain elements of this campaign.

Also, I had originally planned on you guys rolling your own attacks+damage, etc, but If you would prefer, I can do it.

Current #'s :
Lyrevan Knights - ~300
Dark Army - ~2000
White Dragons(Large, probably young Adult) - 27
Silver Dragons(Medium-Large, probably Young/Juvenile) - 14

Distances(Relative to gates to keep things simple.) : The Dragon is now 700' from the gates, Zephyr is 600' from city(slowed and wheeled around when dragon passed), Athear is 1000' from gate, Xialanet is 1200, Minathiel is a few hundred feet in the air, 200' from gates.

All good guys can hear the inspirational tune of Mary, which is being sung with unearthly clarity that seems to cary over the sounds of battle (Go special power!), and gain +12 con/str, and +9 hit/damage, and everyone who saw Minathiel gets Immunity to Fear (The +2 to hit is overruled by mary's +9, which is also Morale).. Please include updated numbers for attacks/damage in your posts.

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
Jemal said:
(*Since you had same init and both closed, I'll allow Lochlan an attack.*). Lochlan's quarterstaff connects fully with the Warrior's chestplate with a resounding clang that seems to phase him little if at all.

OOC: I'm a little unclear about the order of actions here. Did you assume that Lochlan attacked instead of casting? Or was the attack effectively an AOO caused by the mounts moving past each other? In either case, presented with an attack, Lochlan would expend a Smite Evil for +14 to Hit and +90 to Damage.

~Round 2~
Lochlan wheels Zephyr around for another pass, aiming a brutal blow at the rider.

OOC: Zephyr makes a Spring Attack at the dragon. Attack=meaningless, but it should prevent AOO's. Lochlan readies an action to swing at the rider as they swoop past, Power Attacking for -10/+20 and Smiting. Atk +63 (Touch), Dam 1d6+153

Active (non-Permanent) Effects
[sblock]
+12 Con & Str (Morale, Bardsong, Mary)
+9 to Hit & Damage (Morale, Bardsong, Mary)
Find the Gap (Spell, Lochlan) Lasts 1rd/level, while active, the first melee attack each round is resolved as a Touch attack.
[/sblock]
Combat Status
[sblock]
Code:
Damage: 74hp  HP: 797
[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage      Critical[/B]
Quarterstaff            +59      d6+43        20x2 (Full: +59/+54/+40/+54)
Smite                  (+14)      (+90)

Lochlan's first melee attack each round is resolved as a touch attack.

Lochlan's Quarterstaff currently bypasses DR:
 Adamantine/Bludgeoning/Cold Iron/Epic/Good/Magic/Silver
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads