Episode VII and Rey (Total Speculation)

Water Bob

Adventurer
I haven't read much of the new Star Wars YA stuff, but I have read the new SW comics and a couple of the new adult novels. There is precious little to nothing in them about Rey.

But, it just came to me--my thoughts on who she is.

I don't think she's related to anybody. Not Skywalker. Not Kenobi. Not Solo.

What I think is that she was a prodigy. She's extremely strong in the Force, and Skywalker sensed it. Rey, as an infant or very young girl, was under the care of Skywalker as he trained his new Jedis. Then, Ben Solo became enthralled with his grandfather and fell to the Dark Side, with Snoke's guidance. He became Kylo Ren, leader of the Knights of Ren. And, he destroyed Skywalker's Academy, slaughtering all the trainees.

Luke reeled at the massacre. He hid the young girl (maybe her parents did, and then they were killed) on Jakkuu, then went into hiding, searching for the Lost Jedi Temple and guidance of his own--he blames himself for Ben's fall, and Luke searches for more Jedi guidance that he needs if he is ever to re-establish the Jedi.

This prodigy...this young girl, so strong in the Force...was, of course, known to Ben. That's why Kylo Ren recognizes her but doesn't recognize her.

Ren has always been good at things. She's a mechanical wiz, a natural flyer, and a good fighter. Whatever she puts her mind to, she picks it up quickly. That's why she was able to fly the Falcon the way she did--overcome Unkar Plutt's devices that he worked into the Falcon--and pick up a lightsaber and fight a trained (not fully) Knight of Ren.

The Force is not just strong with her. It's overbearing. It's a focal point.

And, there has been an Awakening, and it's about to explode all over Episode VIII.

Just my take.

Mercurius

Legend
I'd say "probably not." People tend to overthink these things--the ridiculous "Kylo Ren is actually good but working deep undercover" theory is the worst I've seen. I am not saying that your theory is bad but that, while I'm sure there are twists and turns, perhaps the more likely answer is, well, more likely. I'd say in rough order of probability: Rey is a Skywalker, then a Kenobi, then a Solo, then something else/other like you describe. But I'm not sure they want to steal the thunder from the Skywalker clan, and Rey would fit the lineage of Anakin-to-Luke-to-Rey as the flawed messiahs that finally find their fulfillment in her

I personally like the Kenobi theory best, as it is a nice twist but not too far from probability. But I think it is less likely than her being a Skywalker.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I think the canon from other sources is that Rey was abandoned on Jakku well before the destruction of Luke's Jedi academy.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Partly that, and partly the Force, like Luke and Vader. The Force makes you naturally talented at stuff.

I think its important to remember that protagonists in a Star Wars movie can do heroic acts without the Force necessarily being involved. Luke does plenty of stuff in A New Hope without the use of the Force being implied. When characters in Star Wars use the force, they often seem to pause to concentrate, or they make some kind of gesture. For example: Luke switching off his targeting computer and trusting his feelings, or Rey and Kylo Ren pausing as their lightsabers clash at the end of TFA.

In TFA, it doesn't seem Rey is in touch with the Force until she is confronted by Kylo Ren, or touches Luke's lightsaber. Her powers seem to gradually unlock throughout the movie with each direct encounter she has with the Force (be it another Force user, or by touching a weapon belonging to a powerful Force user). Everything leading up to those moments, was probably just her normal set of protagonist skills. An exciting escape from a few Tie-Fighters in the best and fastest spaceship in the galaxy, by someone with some experience flying spaceships, does not require a supernatural explanation plot-wise. Everything that happens on Jakku does not make any hint at the Force being used.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think its important to remember that protagonists in a Star Wars movie can do heroic acts without the Force necessarily being involved.

I don't think it's important to remember that. However, Luke and Vader were definitely superb pilots/pod-racers/etc. due to the Force, and Rey is following in that Star Wars tradition.

Luke does plenty of stuff in A New Hope without the use of the Force being implied.

Sure. He even drinks some blue milk without using the force. But in the case of piloting, he and Vader are both force-touched.

In TFA, it doesn't seem Rey is in touch with the Force until she is confronted by Kylo Ren, or touches Luke's lightsaber.

Sure it does. She's a supernaturally gifted pilot. The force is with her right from the start.

Water Bob

Adventurer
We see Rey become a marksman right in front of our eyes. Han gives her a blaster pistol. She indicates that she's never shot one before. In the First Order attack, Rey fires it at a stormtrooper at quite a range. She misses, then she's dead on after that.

She learns quickly.

The Force is with her.

Could we say that Ren and rey are the same age or within 5 years of each other? The whole slaughter thing but she cant remember seems odd based on his age

Shes way too young to be kenobi's kid and I doubt they would go with a grandkid. My guess is shes a skywalker. I don't think they are going to start another family as the chosen savior

Remove ads