Erekose's Savage Tide - Act 1: There is No Honour

Erekose13

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: By the way, though I failed my Kn: Nobility check presumably to know where the Castle is, do I get any sort of bonus due to the fact that it is visible from my house according to the map? :heh: )

(OOC: You mean grateful when you said gracious, I'm guessing?)

Yup, the location is in the PG so that's open knowledge. and Yup I ment gracious.

Manzanita said:
"So we should use caution in our doings, and not mention your name, in case we are discovered. We will attempt not to run afoul of Lord Islaran." muses Julian.

"We will need to know what your ship looks like and where it is docked. Also, do you have any advice for us about accessing your ship? Are there any keys you can provide? Secret entrances or compartments we should know about? Any idea where would your father have kept his ring on this ship? Anyone loyal to you aboard or working at the docks?"

"On another topic, do you know where your mother lost her ring?"

"Yes, please, if at all possible I'd prefer to keep my name out of this. The Blue Nixie is docked at Pier 5 here in the Merchant's district, just north of here. It's the pier between the Merchant's and the Smith's guildhalls. Its a triple masted caravel and you will be able to see the name of it on the back. My father's ring should be in a hidden compartment in the captain's quarters under the quarterdeck at the back. I'm afraid that it would appear that I do not have any loyal friends at the docks to whom I might've turned.

My mother's ring? I believe was lost at sea."
she replies.

Rystil Arden said:
"This Vark does not sound like a positive addition to Sasserine's citisenry--rather than bypass him and make an enduring enemy, perhaps we should consider...removing him...from his position of power, so that he may not continue in his depraved perversions of justice."

Lavinia's jaw sets, "While I would hope that you will be able to solve this without violence, Vark has proven to me that he is not willing to listen to reason. He'd relent in the face of armed men if he had nothing to hide, right?"

Rystil Arden said:
"That said, we thank you for your hospitality, my lady, and rest assured that you shall see what is yours rightfully restored. Friends, shall we take our leave and begin our quest to help the lovely Lady Lavinia? I have a few ideas of where to start..."

"Thank you very much for helping me. I'd hope that you will stay and enjoy my hospitality. That and the cover of darkness might be to your advantage. If you'd rather start now, however, we can resume our meal at a later time." she says happy to see such eagerness.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: You meant gracious? Okey dokey. Wow, calling yourself gracious is really arrogant)

'Lost at sea? No, it's never that simple. If Vanthus really did take the other one, we theoretically could avoid confronting Vark for the moment if we can retrieve it.'

"Thank you, most gracious and lovely Lavinia. I would be most honoured to partake in a shared dinner with you at any date, but in this case, I have a few ideas for some starting gambits we may wish to try. They say that in such gambits, 'tis best to be finished before the other knows you have even started."

'Though 'tis not so in love,' he adds, but only to himself, unsure as to how the joke would be received.

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Julian raises an eyebrow. Perhaps Alix doens't trust Lavinia's servents. Julian is dubious. It seems unlikely a thug like Vark would have spies in her employ.

"I, for one, rarely see such lovely food, and would much prefer to finish my meal before acting. We hardly know one another, after all. Let us sit and discuss our plans before moving on."

Julian takes a sip of his soup and thinks.

"Presumably the caravel will be guarded. My inclination would be to spend the evening in reconoiter, and try to get some dirt on Vark. Depending upon what we see and hear, we might try a sudden attack. Or we could try to swim over and climb onboard, escaping before they knew anything was amiss. Or perhaps we could learn enough to blackmail Vark into releasing the money or ring."

Rystil Arden

First Post
'No, not yet! Of course we need to discuss our plans, but...doesn't he see? We can't do that here! The girl has already shown herself to be too fussy. Vark seems like he won't go down without a fight, and yet...We clearly can't speak freely around her.'

'And even if she wasn't of such a disposition, if we discuss illegal dealings in front of her, it eliminates any possibility for her to have plausible deniability if we are caught--she'd go down with us. Talking here is the height of foolishness for any number of reasons.'

"There are other things we should discuss before we make these kinds of decisions. Let us not let boring details furrow the brow of our gracious host, no?" Alix suggests to Julian, hoping that the other man comes to his senses, "I'd rather head off and get underway, but for the moment, a toast to new opportunities, to friendship, and to our lovely host."

*Alix raises his glass in a toast.*

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Jerrell listen to teh discussion, not giving any comment. He prefers to let Nathan and Alix doing the talking. they seems more at ease with that and all they tells seems to make sense to him.

I just hope all that won't put me in trouble. The captain doesn,t like much to have criminals in his rank... if it wasn't of Old Furgus, he would have never accepted the street rat I was. But if a lady ask me, can I refuse?

Jerrell is woken from his thought as Alix asks for a toast. The sailor raise his glass.

Erekose13

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
"Thank you, most gracious and lovely Lavinia. I would be most honoured to partake in a shared dinner with you at any date, but in this case, I have a few ideas for some starting gambits we may wish to try. They say that in such gambits, 'tis best to be finished before the other knows you have even started."

Manzanita said:
"I, for one, rarely see such lovely food, and would much prefer to finish my meal before acting. We hardly know one another, after all. Let us sit and discuss our plans before moving on."

"Presumably the caravel will be guarded. My inclination would be to spend the evening in reconoiter, and try to get some dirt on Vark. Depending upon what we see and hear, we might try a sudden attack. Or we could try to swim over and climb onboard, escaping before they knew anything was amiss. Or perhaps we could learn enough to blackmail Vark into releasing the money or ring."

Rystil Arden said:
"There are other things we should discuss before we make these kinds of decisions. Let us not let boring details furrow the brow of our gracious host, no?" Alix suggests to Julian, hoping that the other man comes to his senses, "I'd rather head off and get underway, but for the moment, a toast to new opportunities, to friendship, and to our lovely host."

"Thank you Alix. I leave it up to you. If you'd like to be off, I will not hold you as I would be happy to see my property back in my possession sooner rather than later. We can arrange dinner at another time if you prefer. But please feel free to discuss plans either here or I can have a private room ready for you if that would suit your purposes. I know that I have probably brought most of you here together for the first time so I leave it up to you on how you'd like to proceed." replies Lavinia, grateful that her choices appear to be quite solid.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"I would rather we get started now and reschedule dinner for the triumphant victory celebration," Alix agrees, "And if you could arrange for a private room where the details of our discussions needn't disturb your repose, my lady, that would be wonderful," Alix smiles gratefully.

*Assuming the others more-or-less agree, Alix follows Kora (or whoever leads them) to the new room. Once he is sure that the room is in fact actually secure, lest Lady Lavinia have spies for her enemies among her ranks (or her own spies listening in on them), Alix begins.*

"Well, gentlemen, we have a complicated task ahead of us, but I think I have a sense for all your mettle, and if I'm right, it shouldn't be anything we can't handle. There are a few opening concerns that need to be considered, and then I have a few tasks that we should assign amongst ourselves, and I'm interested in hearing ideas from all of you as well."

"But to start--we have several knowns in this case and many unknowns. There are also coincidences that are too convenient, and I shall be positing theories to connect these. Foremost of which, and of course this is as-yet unsubstantiated so consider it a theory and not an accusation, I believe that the 'loss' of the ring followed by the burning ship was no coincidence. It seems fairly likely that Vanthus may have been behind this--there are several possible motives, but jealousy over his sister's heiress status seems most likely. This also means that if we are to believe that the vault has not already been plundered of its riches, it must be because of some sort of extra safeguard within, be it trap, guardian, or password, that Vanthus needs us to bypass for him--we'll thus want to be careful when we proceed to the actual vault. But that gets ahead of where we are now."

"At the current moment, we need to deal with Vark in some fashion--perhaps it will be as simple as sneaking aboard, but he doubtless has the ship guarded at most junctures. That's where our next move comes in. I'm going to make a series of suggestions, and if anyone wants to volunteer for a task, that would be great--I know that most of these are well beyond my meagre skill to perform."

"First and simplest, but perhaps most dangerous for an amateur, will be a sneak and scout who watches for activity on the Blue Nixie by the docks. Vark can't stay on the ship forever, or if he does, he has to send men out for supplies, so crucial will be any regularity in that schedule. Assaulting Vark on the Blue Nixie is a danger to our lovely patroness's ship as well as leaving an advantage to our foe in letting them defend the ground they hold. Preventing Vark's thugs from returning with supplies (if they are using a supply chain) or catching Vark at the shifting of watches (if they aren't camped out there and are just shifting watches) gives us the element of surprise and the field advantage. Intelligence collected by our sneaky scout will thus be crucial if it comes to blows. Then again, I hope it shan't come to blows."

"But that task is not something I could do competently--I have a feeling that you may be excellent at it, Tereg."

"What shall I be doing? I'm going to dig up some dirt on Vark for purposes of outmanoeuvring him politically or potentially blackmail. To that end, I'm going to check with Rowyn Kellani--her family hopes to take over the position of Harbormaster, so she'll know something if anyone in Sasserine does. Plus she may be involved--which means that we should gather some information on her as well. And speaking of gathering information, checking up ourselves on Vark as well as Vanthus would be prudent. If we find Vanthus and he has the other ring, we don't even need to deal with Vark yet. Julian, I'm guessing that gathering random snippets like that is easy for a minstrel who can move fluidly between every strata of society and listen when loose lips speak. I bet you'd be great at it."

"How does that sound so far? Thoughts, fellows?"

Malarky

First Post
"With all do respect Master Alix, I don't think well on an empty stomach and I welcome just about any occassion to get away from my Aunt's cooking. Seeing that we have been offered the wonderful hospitality of the house and access to delightful cooking I don't really see any harm in continuing our discussions in private over food." he bows his head and smiles to Lady Lavinia. "If my Lady doesn't mind."

ooc: unless somebody has objections we can probably continue with Alix's post over food, Tereg tends to think with his stomach.

While listening to Alix's rather lengthy exposition, Tereg turns his head to the side offering a sidelong grin. "If you get a feeling that I'm not an amateur at this you would be right. I'll go and start keeping a look out."

ooc: right after he is nice and full.

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Alix doesn't object to food, but he won't speak until Lavinia is gone--among many other concerns, he has tact enough to realise that Lavinia isn't going to want to hear such about her brother, even if it turns out to be true.*

"Excellent. Thank you Tereg. As Lavinia mentioned her preference, violence should be our last option, but your scouting information will be crucial for that option, which may need to be exercised unless we get lucky with one of the other leads."

Remove ads