• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Erfworld

Nonlethal Force

First Post
RFisher said:
While they aren't going to have a "gag-a-day", I hope they do fit the pacing to the format. If the "page breaks" are arbitrary, It'll have a hard time holding my interest. (I've tried to read webcomics that have had exactly that problem.)

I think this is simply true of storytelling in general - regardless of whether the medium is words or pictures. If you are telling the story you need to make sure that the breaks are natural. That's what makes cliffhangers so useful. You can move the story to a point where much has been resolved at the reader can feel some closure while at the same time setting up the anticipation for the next bit of story. Arbitrary page breaks destroy the reader's sense of cliffhangers and are left always in a state of limbo.

Gez

First Post
Thunderfoot said:
I can't stand anime, but what caught me WAS the play on words. Did anybody besides me notice the similarity in ERFWorld and ENWorld? (Yes I know ERF is a play on earth, but come on, its TOO much of a similarity for me.)

I assume that an "erf" is an Engrish elf. Cutesy speak, as the others said.

Oh, look! That dwagon just ate a wabbit! That wabbit belonged to gobwin farmers, not to the dwagon! Will a pious gnight slay the evil dwagon and westowe peace on the gobwin kwingdom?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Gez said:
Oh, look! That dwagon just ate a wabbit! That wabbit belonged to gobwin farmers, not to the dwagon! Will a pious gnight slay the evil dwagon and westowe peace on the gobwin kwingdom?

ITYM: "Oh, wook! That dwagon just ate a wabbit! That wabbit bewonged to a gobwin fawmers, not to the dwagon! Wiww a pious gnight sway the eviw dwagon and westowe peace on erf (especiawwy the gobwin kwingdom)?"

Side gripe: it's Tuesday. Where's the comic so we can mock it properly?

C, -- N

RFisher

Explorer
Nonlethal Force said:
If you are telling the story you need to make sure that the breaks are natural.
Exactly. Unfortunately there are otherwise good webcomics (or web graphic novels) that don't get that.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Thunderfoot said:
(Yes I know ERF is a play on earth, but come on, its TOO much of a similarity for me.)

Is anyone else annoyed by all the goofy spellings of the word "earth"? You can only do that so many times before it gets tiresome.

As for the comic: We have to see the finished product, but the first impression isn't very overwhelming: The style doesn't appeal to me, and I don't like that "child speech". You have to encourage children to speak properly, not let them think they can get away with it because it makes them sound cute.

Gez

First Post
Okay. The first batch is up now, for those that are still interested. Same link as in the first post.

My initial reactions are mixed.

So far, the goofy spellings and choice of language are a real turn off.

The basic premise may be good, and the chief villain and henchmen are certainly sufficiently amusing.

TroyXavier

First Post
I'm undecided for now but it hasn't grabbed me like OOTS did(and some others) the first time I read it. I'll give it a few more though before I totally make up my mind.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
So far it's a solid "meh". Nothing is grabbing me, but neither is it so stupid that I'm completely turned off. (The super-obvious telegraphed "dragon poo target" joke is an exception to the preceding observation.)

-- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads