• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials: Magic Item Rarity Explained, it's actually good!

The thing is that although there are tools do that (with inherent bonuses), it seems to me that acquiring lots of magic items is pretty core to D&D. And if you have lots of magic items, they had better be uncomplicated, always-on items because otherwise you'll forget what they do.

Well, I don't know what the majority of people want. Obviously, it makes sense for WotC to tailor the game (at least to an extent) in that direction.

But me personally? I'd rather the "necessary" bumps come entirely (or at least mostly) from inherent bonuses, and that all (or at least most) magic items be interesting and flavorful.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Another approach to the "boring" +N items would be to eliminate the bonus as a standard trait of weapons, armor and neck items, and RE-introduce it as mega-powerful trait of rare- and artifact-level items.

So for example, a common magic sword might be a flaming weapon with a +0 bonus, while the rare version might actually have a +1 attack bonus, or might instead just have some extra cool flamey stuff.

That would allow the bonus-hungry to get what they want, but only at the DM's discretion.

In light of these changes, our group is considering allowing Common and rare items, but banning uncommon items.

Common items will be considered masterwork, or minorly magical( I..E. this sword is extra sharp because it was made with magic, as opposed to crackling with magic.)

"Real" magic items will all be rares.

So you may have a +2 sword, that is uber sharper than normal because of the construction and way it was made, but when you see a sword burst into flames, you know it's bad ass.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Once long ago I was playing a halfling cleric named Roofus Thistleknot wearing chain mail... He fell into a river and almost drowned... Towards the end of the session I suddenly remembered Roofus was wearing a ring of water walking.

Everyone laughed at me. :(
Your DM just forgot to tell you that they were boots of (river bottom) water walking. :erm:

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I love all of the miscilaneous magic items. All the stuff that has virtually no effect on game play but is awesome roleplaying fodder. Of course I can never afford them since once I get the necessities I don't have enough cash left.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
[/I]Oh - I hope they respec the Holy Avenger as a Rare item. In earlier editions, the Holy Avenger is the classic example of a character-defining magic weapon.
I hope that before they do so, they redo implement/weapons so that the "you can use this as a holy symbol" benefit of the avenger is not needed.

What's the difference?
Tresholds are always +1 behind magic items of a certain level range, inherent bonuses to attack are only "1 level" behind magic items of a certain level.

So IMHO you have the best of both worlds: if you find the right magic items, you are granted a bonus. If you don´t, you will still be only +1 behind the expected curve.

If you switch to a different weapon, you are also only slightly behind, but a little bit worse than with a magic weapon.

So magic weapons are still meaningful, but using a nonmagic weapon doesn´t make you "useless".

CovertOps

First Post
Tresholds are always +1 behind magic items of a certain level range, inherent bonuses to attack are only "1 level" behind magic items of a certain level.

So IMHO you have the best of both worlds: if you find the right magic items, you are granted a bonus. If you don´t, you will still be only +1 behind the expected curve.

If you switch to a different weapon, you are also only slightly behind, but a little bit worse than with a magic weapon.

So magic weapons are still meaningful, but using a nonmagic weapon doesn´t make you "useless".

You do realize that those two mechanics are trying to accomplish two entirely different goals right?

One is a replacement for magic items entirely (good if you want to run a low magic world, but still want the PC's to have their "expected" bonuses). The other is a way to "equip" magic items on monsters (for verisimilitude reasons) without breaking the game math.

What you're talking about is much closer to house rules territory.

Remove ads