• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

Sasahara

First Post
"Perhaps," Esraethan says quietly, almost to himself. "But the world will be better off without murders like those. And my sister will be able to sleep peacefully."

Looking at Artemis again, Esrethan asks, "So, tell me of yourself, Artemis. What is your story?"

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"The white if it is chilled, otherwise the red please."
The bartender brushes the dust off the green bottle and then places his hand over the glazed clay as if to check its temperature, "Red it is then." He puts the green bottle down and uncorks the brown one. The blood-red liquid pours smoothly into the pewter cup.
"I am wondering how people around here feel about those of my race. I have encountered... some difficulties... in the past."
The bartender laughs jovially and gives a nod to the barmaid's response, "Look around you lad," he pats the tiefling on the shoulder with the back of his hand and points in a swirling motion around the common room, "You're surrounded by freaks," His laugh becomes a roll, "I wager you'll feel more at home in this tavern than anywhere else in the Transitive Isles."

His gaze drifts back to the tiefling, and he puts the back of his hand to the side of his mouth, leaning over toward him to whisper, "You should've seen the fat little fellow who came down the chimney the other night."

The bartender finally slides the cup over to the nervous adventurer and places the bottle next to it.

Sasahara

First Post
Esraethan looks down at the glass he has been drinking, at the glass and bottle in front of him, and at his neighbor. With a quick "Sorry!" he puts down his neighbor's drink, and slides a gold piece next to it. Picking up his own red wine, he pauses to admire the colour and nose of the drink. "You may be right," he says to the bartender. And, raising his glass in a silent salute, he takes a sip.

FourMonos

First Post
Looking at Artemis again, Esrethan asks, "So, tell me of yourself, Artemis. What is your story?"

Artemis can't help but grin, "Well, it's not that complicated. As you look about the room, you see brave souls seeking redemption, lost friends and family, treasure, fame...

...I'm just here for the ladies."

"And Bob?" (meaning the barkeep) "Please don't call these hearty souls 'freaks'. They're my friends."

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"My point exactly," The bartender winks as he proceeds dry mugs that have just been returned, "Just having a little sport lad. I meant no harm, just to cheer this poor bugger up," he turns to the tiefling, "Master Artemis and his friends saved my life a little while ago," he turns back to Artemis, "and for that I'm eternally grateful."

Last edited:

Sasahara

First Post
Esraethan smiles at the banter. "Saving the life of the barkeep? That sounds like a story! I trust it got you at lesat one round of free drinks?"

FourMonos

First Post
"Some hobgoblins tried to extort some 'protection' money from Bob, here. A few of us just helped him out. Not a big deal, really. Bob only brings it up because his favorite female elven customer was there..." He gives Bob a wink.

Sasahara

First Post
Esraethan looks around at the myriad beings that populate the bar. "Hobgoblins thought to threaten Bob in *here*? That seems... imprudent at best.

"Artemis, since I am here without any further clues into the identity of my mother's killers, I am wondering if you know of anywhere that an adventurer might earn a few gold pieces?"

FourMonos

First Post
"Aye, that is true..."

"Well, if you want to hear the story, I'm sure exaggerated a hundred times, just ask around the bar. A lot of the fine folks you see enjoying themselves now were out in the street making a stance against...

..well, maybe they were making a stance for more drinking."

[sblock=ooc] Link if interested: http://www.enworld.org/forum/living-4th-edition/296328-adventure-protection-mal-malenkirk.html [/sblock]

Artemis shrugs, "As for money, if you have some time, this fine establishment's reputation does draw potential employers looking for adventurers. Just wait around and an opportunity will present itself."

Remove ads