• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evil vs Good: D&D Wargaming

Drakknyte32

First Post
In the red mist that is now the DeathBringers mind one thought stands out. Spoken in the voice of the Lich King

~You must kill the army of good, that is all you exist for~

And he would. He would destroy these pitiful mortal fools that dared to defy his master. He would make them all pay for his death.

But he must be cautious. They had beaten him once before because he thought he was invincible, he must not fail his King like that again. He would not fight the wizards on his own, but he would destroy the rest of the city.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it's kind of hard to post round by round actions when you don't know how the environment is responding, If it's okay I would like you to make my actions for me until something comes up that I need to decide on. In other words, until my strategy stops working.

Heres how I plan to fight.

For reference the wizards mean the two high leveled generals that killed me and the druid. Sorcerors mean the low-level troops that know magic missile.

1. Avoid the wizards. I have obscenely high spot and listen checks so I should notice them if they are near me. If they ever get within 200 feat of me go underground and move away, period. Never go up if I think they are in the area. They are my biggest threat and I don't want to fight them. They can't be everywhere in the city.

2. Move around a lot. I have a high move speed and am unobstructed by obstacles. I should never stay in the same place for more than one round. I want to spread throughout the entire city when I fight.

3. Use cover/concealment. I should spend most of my time underground or hiding. Never let them see you until you strike and don't strike if they see you. As soon as I strike I should go back to hiding, using my round 2 action as often as possible.

4. Pick random targets. Never let them know who you are after. 1 round go after soldiers, the next round go after civilians. Sometimes attack people out in the street and sometimes attack them if they are in a building. Occasionaly use your breath weapon to burn down wooden buildings or supplies. The only things you shouldn't attack are the wizards or sorcerors too spread out to kill in 1 round.

5. Keep up your hp's. When you are only facing a few targets use energy drain instead of your breath weapon. Temp hp's last for 1 hour so I should be able to boost myself fairly well with this. You should never use this if you can't kill all the targets in 1 round however.

6. Be patient. I won't get tired so if I have to wait a few minutes before I show myself to ensure it's safe then I will do so. A couple of minutes is preferable to 2d4 days.

7. If you are unsure just post and ask me. If they come up with some way to counter me just describe what they do and I will come up with new actions.

Sorry if this is more work for you but I tried to describe my actions well and this should speed up combat immensely. Just be sure to mention how well it goes :] .

EDIT: I guess I didn't mention it but I will mostly be using my fire breath, with the occasional blast of the other one. Low level warriors aren't likely to survive 6d10 damage even if they do make their save.

Last edited:

OldCrowe

First Post
Fieari said:
The Lich King stirs in his slumber, but does not rise. Even in sleep, his thirst for power rises. His pyres of darkness in his terrible city burn day and night, covering the land in shadow. But it is not enough. The world must fall to his might. Must! And while he sleeps, his Dreadlords must carry forth his will.

--Go now... burn, destroy, conquer, and rape the lands. Make it all mine. Destroy the South, for their light is a thorn in my side!--

He telepathically communicates to all his minions. They would take time to muster of course... the undead must be raised, the demons must be paid... but the Dragon takes flight immediately, and the Druid is on his back.

The Dreadlord Crowe bows his head in silent acceptance of the Lich King's call to arms, and begins to contemplate how to best strike a blow against the forces of light.

Realizing the loss of the Dark Hunter, and the Fireking, Dreadlord Crowe takes swift action to see to the reorganization of the Dark Hunt. He summons his trusted captain, Grunfyrr, a Rakashasha.

"Grunfyrr, I am afraid that the Dark Hunter has fallen. Go to the Mislyk Forrest and see what remains of the Dark Hunt. Offer the Dark Hunter's second our assistance, and let him know that I will give him the Dark Bond and recognize him as General of the Mislyk. If no worthy Captains remain, gather what rabble you can. If there is any trouble, return immediately."

[OOC: ] Okay Fieari, just how much do I know about the Forces of Good, and the Lands of the South? Many Knowledge: Geography, History, Nobility and Royalty, Arcana, and Loremaster Lore rolls.

Things I am looking for in particular:

The names of the Generals of good, and some idea of their class/level, and the types of forces each General tends to favor.

The Locations and Names of Major Cities and Fortresses in the South, and who defends them, their size, whether or not they are walled, also, the significance of the Major Cities to the South (ie, are they important economically, if so, how?).

The Locations and Names of as many outlying villages as I can determine, also, their approximate sizes, relative closeness to Fortresses, obvious defenses, and whether they guard any important resources.

Assuming I am aware of the loss of the Dark Hunter, I will send my Rakashasha (can Greater Teleport there) to the Mislyk Forest as an emmisary, to either determine who is the new leader of the Dark Hunt, or to recruit the remnants of the Dark Hunt. Assuming I make contact with the Bard, I will offer to portal him back to my fortress and reestablish the Telepathic Bond with him (ie, cast the Bond and make it permanent with a Limited Wish). At any sign of hostility, the Rak will TP out.

Last edited:

Fieari

Explorer
Most of what you know... indeed, most of what your entire country knows of the lands to the south are heresay. You do know of the great mountain city, Lowgate, mostly because it sits on top of the only pass through the Lowly Peaks known to merchants, who do travel between the countries (but always with quite a few guards). The tales merchants tell are not confirmed, and many of them are almost undoubtably fabricated from whole cloth.

The lands to the south are said to be as good and the lands to the north are evil. They say there is no poverty, no crime, no hunger, no sickness or disease. They say even the politicians are uncorrupt, and that the public is civil out of a sense of inate morality as opposed to fear of retribution. The streets are paved with gold and silver, and building's foundation stones are diamond.

Trinkets sold by these merchants may be more telling. Clocks are one of the more common goods sold by them, as well as a large number of mechanical toys. They say that the lands to the south have better things, but said better mechanical contrivances would not work in the north. No further explanation is given.

The merchants ask in trade both gold and silver, as well as certain herbs that apparently only grow in the north.

They do not speak of armies. Nor of generals. They do say that the knights and earls and dukes and lords and esspecially the king of the south are kind, softhearted men who treat their people well. It would probably be unwise to underestimate them by this statement though... if they are kind to their own people, it probably means they will defend their people like a mother bear defends her cubs.

OldCrowe

First Post
Fieari said:
Most of what you know... indeed, most of what your entire country knows of the lands to the south are heresay. You do know of the great mountain city, Lowgate, mostly because it sits on top of the only pass through the Lowly Peaks known to merchants, who do travel between the countries (but always with quite a few guards). The tales merchants tell are not confirmed, and many of them are almost undoubtably fabricated from whole cloth.

The lands to the south are said to be as good and the lands to the north are evil. They say there is no poverty, no crime, no hunger, no sickness or disease. They say even the politicians are uncorrupt, and that the public is civil out of a sense of inate morality as opposed to fear of retribution. The streets are paved with gold and silver, and building's foundation stones are diamond.

Trinkets sold by these merchants may be more telling. Clocks are one of the more common goods sold by them, as well as a large number of mechanical toys. They say that the lands to the south have better things, but said better mechanical contrivances would not work in the north. No further explanation is given.

The merchants ask in trade both gold and silver, as well as certain herbs that apparently only grow in the north.

They do not speak of armies. Nor of generals. They do say that the knights and earls and dukes and lords and esspecially the king of the south are kind, softhearted men who treat their people well. It would probably be unwise to underestimate them by this statement though... if they are kind to their own people, it probably means they will defend their people like a mother bear defends her cubs.

Short version: Not alot. Oh well, worth a shot, though there are some interesting clues in there.

I will be using the mirror to transport the Grunfyrr to the Mislyk, Rak's don't have TP (got it mixed up with the Erinyes I was going to use).

Did you see my post in the OOC thread?

After I transport Grunfyrr, I will use the mirror to keep him under surveillance, and intercede if necessary.

Re,

C. Rowe

Fieari

Explorer
In the end, you stood no chance. Hit-and-run was your only real method of attack, and eventually, even that failed. In total, you slaughtered many... innocents and the armed alike, but the next time you rose to kill, the enemy was ready.

You could sense with blindsense that there was someone you couldn't see next to you. You breathed in that direction, catching several dozen other people at random but you can't tell whether the invisible one was even hit. And then, he touched you.

And with that single touch, you were flooded with a vast amount of positive energy (114 points of damage) and you dissipate instantly with a scream that echoes across the mountains.

You make your save (DC16) to return, however. You will return at Midnight, Day 5. When you return, you will return with 30 points worth of ghost servants. You will return at your former lair, unless it is hallowed or forbiddanced, in which case you will return somewhere within the Lich King's city.

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
OOC: You did check for the 50% miss chance right?

The Ghost template starts at +6.6 CR, 30pts doesn't even get him a ghostly rat. I could probably work up a CR+3'ish lesser ghost though.

Last edited:

Drakknyte32

First Post
Um, 3 things to point out.

If I knew there was an invisible person there I would have run away. It might not have been a wizard but it definately would have been something I would avoid. If you had mentioned this to me I would have rearranged my tactics like I mentioned I would earlier.

Did I really use my energy drain so rarely that I didn't have enough Hp's to survive that attack? If I used it more than 9 times an hour it would have been enough to survive that touch attack.

Did you take into account with the attack that there was a 50% and that I had cover. I would not put more than my head out of the ground for a breath attack.

Just how many people did I kill :] .

Pyrex

First Post
You wouldn't have known he was invisible until you stuck your head up and it was too late anyway. (we've already established that Blindsense requires line-of-effect which is blocked when you're ducked underground)

Given that it was a touch attack, the cover would be pretty irrelevant, but the 50% miss chance is still a biggie.

Last edited:

Fieari

Explorer
(You weren't able to drain much temporary hp since the reactions from your opposition was always QUITE fast... it was easier to flame a large number than to drain said large number. And yeah, you weren't able to sense the guy until it was too late. The 50% chance was factored in, and he succeeded.

You killed on the order of 50 people, majority of them non-combatants)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The Hunt Master moved through the Misylak with his accompaniment of Dog Soldiers and the invisible presence of the cannibal pixies. He knew that the Dragons Mountain was close by, the Pixies had sighted it and reported the estimated distance - as the crow flies - together the company moved ever watchful for the forces of goodness that might be slinking through the unhallowed forest.

"We will soon know what has happened to the Dark Hunter" he spoke to his Pack "we will secretly enter the Dragons lair and seek whatever clues and survivors we can take precautions if the enemy still lingers there then we must use stealth. If our Lord is dead then we take his remains back to the grove and pray that the forest reclaims his bones - death is not the end, and the Dark Hunt survives!"

Back at the Grove the Marshall Raptor waited for the return of his brother. He surveyed those of the Pack who had remained with him grinning at the wild savagery that simmered just beneath their skin. The others - barbarians and warriors would return soon, at the Howling of the Moon, and with them perhaps others would come. Men and Creatures attracted by the glory of the Hunt. That was the beauty of the Dark Hunt ~ it would survive!

He considered as he waited for a whispered word from his brother
' what if the Druid is gone? Then do we take on the mantle of Dark Hunter? Are we two strong enough to lead the Pack against the forces of good? - we are!' he snarled a terrible snarl and laughed as he tasted the blood of his enemies already upon his lips!

(ooc Dreadlord Crowe the Rakashasha has the choice of joining Ravage the Bard at the Dragons Lair or the Marshall Raptor at the Druids Grove (Misylak forest) - The Marshall Raptor is likely to be the next 'leader' with the Bard acting as head of Reconnaisance)

Last edited:

Remove ads