Evil vs Good: D&D Wargaming

OldCrowe

First Post
Tonguez said:
The Hunt Master moved through the Misylak with his accompaniment of Dog Soldiers and the invisible presence of the cannibal pixies. He knew that the Dragons Mountain was close by, the Pixies had sighted it and reported the estimated distance - as the crow flies - together the company moved ever watchful for the forces of goodness that might be slinking through the unhallowed forest.

"We will soon know what has happened to the Dark Hunter" he spoke to his Pack "we will secretly enter the Dragons lair and seek whatever clues and survivors we can take precautions if the enemy still lingers there then we must use stealth. If our Lord is dead then we take his remains back to the grove and pray that the forest reclaims his bones - death is not the end, and the Dark Hunt survives!"

Back at the Grove the Marshall Raptor waited for the return of his brother. He surveyed those of the Pack who had remained with him grinning at the wild savagery that simmered just beneath their skin. The others - barbarians and warriors would return soon, at the Howling of the Moon, and with them perhaps others would come. Men and Creatures attracted by the glory of the Hunt. That was the beauty of the Dark Hunt ~ it would survive!

He considered as he waited for a whispered word from his brother
' what if the Druid is gone? Then do we take on the mantle of Dark Hunter? Are we two strong enough to lead the Pack against the forces of good? - we are!' he snarled a terrible snarl and laughed as he tasted the blood of his enemies already upon his lips!

(ooc Dreadlord Crowe the Rakashasha has the choice of joining Ravage the Bard at the Dragons Lair or the Marshall Raptor at the Druids Grove (Misylak forest) - The Marshall Raptor is likely to be the next 'leader' with the Bard acting as head of Reconnaisance)

Grunfyrr steps through the portal, and enters into the forbidding Misylak Forest. He bellows forth his greeting in a way only a man with the head of a tiger can deliver.

"I AM GRUNFYRR, EMISSARY OF THE DREADLORD CROWE! I COME IN PEACE ON MY LORD'S BEQUEST! BRING FORTH THE CAPTAINS OF THE HUNT, SO I MAY WE MAY SPEAK!"

(OOC: That would be Marshall Raptor I am meeting with, but I can bond both of them if you prefer)

Drakknyte32

First Post
Ah well such is life. I'll be more specific with my actions next time.

Let me know when I can join again and I'll start posting my next actions

Drakknyte32

First Post
I'm guessing it's a bit to late to be saying this but I need to say it anyway.

How did the invisible guy know where I was? I was moving around the whole city and spending most of my time underground or hiding.

When I noticed the invisible guy would I have been able to demanifest instead of a breath weapon or did he have a readied action?

If the soldiers were reacting quickly to me why didn't I change my target? (Civilians in locked houses, a great way to use energy drain. Or just some supply buildings, they couldn't protect everything with high level creatures.)

If the soldiers were reacting that quickly how come I didn't just go underground and wait for a few hours until things calmed down again.

Sorry if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but I really don't like the way they had the perfect counter against me and it worked parfectly despite all my caution and so quickly.

OldCrowe

First Post
Drakknyte32 said:
I'm guessing it's a bit to late to be saying this but I need to say it anyway.

How did the invisible guy know where I was? I was moving around the whole city and spending most of my time underground or hiding.

When I noticed the invisible guy would I have been able to demanifest instead of a breath weapon or did he have a readied action?

If the soldiers were reacting quickly to me why didn't I change my target? (Civilians in locked houses, a great way to use energy drain. Or just some supply buildings, they couldn't protect everything with high level creatures.)

If the soldiers were reacting that quickly how come I didn't just go underground and wait for a few hours until things calmed down again.

Sorry if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but I really don't like the way they had the perfect counter against me and it worked parfectly despite all my caution and so quickly.

Well, it seems a bit neat, as did the attack on your lair, they always seem to have the right spells ready for the job... However, it is not impossible for them to accomplish what they have done so far, Mage of the Arcane Order for example, can provide any spell you need, as long as you wait a round for it.

As for their spotting you, True Seeing will do the trick (note, this has a rather costly component), and also, Incanatrix's have the ability to See Ethereal creatures.

The question on my mind, is that assuming that this was an invisible cleric (the positive energy damage makes me think so), and not some sort of super ninja, how did he get past your +22 Listen? You would think you would hear him clomp clomp clomping up, even with modifiers for the clang of battle and your roars of victory. The randomness of your attacks also seems to make the success of such an attack seem improbable, I really don't see how they could predict where you would emerge from, unless there was some very sexy quickened D-Door action coupled with a limited wish to simulate a cleric spell. It is possible for them to do what they are doing, but it is very very unlikely. However, until we are proven otherwise, we can only assume we are dealing with some very, very, very smooth operators here, and that seems likely. It appears they are providing Fieari very detailed and complex instructions, and that they know the capabilities of their characters very well.

In short, they aren't just Good, they are good, it will be very difficult to deal with them, but I do think it is possible. Have faith, Drakknyte, this is quickly becoming like chess, and in chess, the person who makes the first mistake is not destined to be the loser, it is the person that makes the last mistake.

On that note, I know you are new to the game, and your energy and enthusiasm is very refreshing, I sincerely hope you don't lose heart, you are being given a fairly rough time by what appears to be some very seasoned players. You are learning very quickly, your raid planning and tactics were very solid, you simply lingered too long, and they got a fix on you.

My advice to you:

Patience: I know you are a young dragon, and filled with purpose, but dragons live for hundreds, if not thousands of years, you don't need to topple the forces of Good in a day. Good is responding very quickly to our attacks, you need to be in and out, before they can power up to deal with you. Sneak in, make a single attack, and fade out, flying ethereal through the ground should give you sufficient distance, just be wary, they have read your mind, know your name, and could use divinations to find you, so even this isn't fool proof, but overall, the more time you give them to react, the more time they have to devise a solution to neutralize you, and they seem to be very good at inventing solutions, make a single decisive attack, and then make a safe retreat, even if this means just 1 breath attack, or killing one lowly soldier. You are undead, tireless, you can repeat these hit and runs 24 hours a day, your vengeance is unquenchable. Hit them in one city, then glide through the earth to an outlying town, and hit them again, slowly, but surely, you will frustrate them, make them waste resources trying to catch you, and when they are weakest, ALL OF US, will strike together.

Salute,

C. Rowe

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
OldCrowe said:
Grunfyrr steps through the portal, and enters into the forbidding Misylak Forest. He bellows forth his greeting in a way only a man with the head of a tiger can deliver.

"I AM GRUNFYRR, EMISSARY OF THE DREADLORD CROWE! I COME IN PEACE ON MY LORD'S BEQUEST! BRING FORTH THE CAPTAINS OF THE HUNT, SO I MAY WE MAY SPEAK!"

(OOC: That would be Marshall Raptor I am meeting with, but I can bond both of them if you prefer)

There is quick commotion in the Grove as the Dog Soldiers quickly rise and take hybrid form ready to face the challenge that may present itself.

"Hold!" the Hunt Master orders as he hears the bellowed greeting of the Rakasha. Moving forward he faces the emissary happy to see that the Dreadlord Crowe has sent one that at least maintains a beastial quality despite being of otherworldly nature

"I'm am the Hunt Master of this Pack" Raptor answers the emissary in measured tones as the Hybrid Dog Soldiers set upon their haunches and the unsen pixies settled in the trees "I welcome the agent of my Lords compeer and speak for the Pack. What does the Dreadlord Crowe desire of us?"

(ooc yep Bonding both would be very much welcome:))

OldCrowe

First Post
Tonguez said:
There is quick commotion in the Grove as the Dog Soldiers quickly rise and take hybrid form ready to face the challenge that may present itself.

"Hold!" the Hunt Master orders as he hears the bellowed greeting of the Rakasha. Moving forward he faces the emissary happy to see that the Dreadlord Crowe has sent one that at least maintains a beastial quality despite being of otherworldly nature

"I'm am the Hunt Master of this Pack" Raptor answers the emissary in measured tones as the Hybrid Dog Soldiers set upon their haunches and the unsen pixies settled in the trees "I welcome the agent of my Lords compeer and speak for the Pack. What does the Dreadlord Crowe desire of us?"

(ooc yep Bonding both would be very much welcome:))

Grunfyrr does a rather graceful bow.

"Greetings, Hunt Master. My Lord has sent me here not to ask of you, but ask of what he can do for you. Through the Lich King's wisdom, my Lord has learned of your master's, the Dark Hunter, fall. As much as he mourns the loss of his Brother General, he depises disorder more, and has sent me here to see who will rise among you and take the mantle of the Dark Hunter. He has told me that he shall recognize the worthy Captain, gift him with the Dark Bond, and present him before the Dark Brothers."

While this is ongoing, back at Heartfang Tower, Dreadlord Crowe gathers the 4 Doppelgangers and Gran Maul before him, and cast's Rary's Telepathic Bond on them and himself, linking them together, and then casts Limited Wish making that Bond permanent.

[OOC:To Tonguez] Don't worry Tonguez, I still have a bond/wish waiting for you and the bard, I just need to get that out of the way. However, both must be present when I do the bond, I can bond up to 5 people at a time (I will likely bond some more of my captains when I bond you), but I prefer to maximize the batches I do them in, as it incurs some hefty XP to perform the bond).

[OOC: To Fieari] Making the bond permanent costs me 2,500 XP

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ravage grimaces and confirmation of what the Pack has suspected
"So it is true, the Dark Hunter has fallen! No matter - the Dark Hunt survives -" he repeats the mantra as he considers the Dreadlords offer

"The Dreadlord is to be honoured for his graciousness in granting such a mighty gift upon us.

But the Hunter Masters of the Pack are two - my brother goes now to the lair of the Dragon to recover the remains of the Dark Hunter that they be returned to the Grove and reclaimed by the forest. Upon his return we shall both stand before the Dreadlord Crowe and then shall he determine which of us shall recieve his boon and be presented before the Dark Brothers.

We mean no disrespect to the esteemed Dreadlord, but it is not in my power to choose.

Convey this word to the Dreadlord Crowe and if by some means you can contact my Brother at the Dragons Lair and tell him of our status then it shall be done

The Dark Hunt shall survive!"

(ooc OldCrowe -looking forward to it:))

Drakknyte32

First Post
Crowe, True seeing and see ethereal isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about my often used +17 Hide skill and the fact that I spend most of my time with full concealment (IE underground). Last time I checked there wasn't a spell that let you notice creatures with full concealment and since I'm incorporeal they certainly wouldn't have heard me coming. My other problem with this is that I am fighting very cautiously. If you get closer than 200' to the wizards than move underground and run away, period. I would not have stood up to an invisible creature. I would have ran away while it was still my turn and looked for easier targets.

You are right about the patience part though. I think I'm going to roast some villages next instead of the city. It's just hard to leave such a convienent target alone.

Fieari: could you tell me if I still have my telepathic bond.

Edit: I just realized I've been operating under an assumption I'm not sure about. Fieari; being underground does give me full cover and concealment right? Does it give me both against other ethereal creatures too?

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
OldCrowe said:
[OOC: To Fieari] Making the bond permanent costs me 2,500 XP

You have to cast (and make it permanent) once for each additional creature. (i.e. creating a bond with 6 creatures takes 5 castings of Telepathic Bond and 5 castings of Permanancy)

That's why each general had to pay 14.5k for their casting of the bond...

Pyrex

First Post
True Seeing wouldn't have been enough, but any of several divination spells would have allowed them to track you (starting with Locate Creature).

The 'run away if closer that 200' to the wizards only helps if you spot the wizards, and it seems to have been a divine caster who smacked you.

Being underground gives you full cover+concealment against material plane creatures. You gain full concealment (but not cover) against other ethereal creatures (who can also pass through solid objects).

Remove ads