Evil wizard casting Protection from Evil on himself

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
My AFEG (average friendly evil guy) has protection from evil in his spellbook to protect himself from the nearby evil summoners and cultists. Being evil isn't a club, it doesn't mean he won't be attacked by virtue of being an evil NPC too.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanee said:
You could avoid that by using Magic Circle against Chaos/Law, tho. ;)

Well, if you have a Lawful Evil wizard casting Planar Binding to Call a Devil - a natural choice, one would think - he can't use MCaE or MCaL, because neither of those will bind the devil (non-good or non-lawful creatures only, respectively)... so he has to cast either a [Good] or a [Chaos] spell to bind it.

-Hyp.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I find it wonky that Protection from Good is [Evil] while Protection from Elements (Fire) is not [Cold]... IMHO neither should have any particular descriptor.

But in the RAW, I think you'll find that casting Protection from Evil is indeed a [Good] act.

-- N

Thanee

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Well, if you have a Lawful Evil wizard casting Planar Binding to Call a Devil - a natural choice, one would think - he can't use MCaE or MCaL, because neither of those will bind the devil (non-good or non-lawful creatures only, respectively)... so he has to cast either a [Good] or a [Chaos] spell to bind it.

Just saying, that using the [Chaos] spell might be less "problematic" than using the [Good] spell (ruleswise it's pretty much the same, tho). ;)

Bye
Thanee

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Hah, I can see it now. Down in the hells the Blood wars continue. The army of devils clashes with the army of demons, both being backed up by... Good mages. Good because they have cast PfE too many times...

Nope, it's not a good act to cast Protection from Evil in my world.

-Tatsu

Quinnman

First Post
Ok... I can see the point on letting the EW casting PfE, but the point is this... I´m soon to DM an evil drow-campaign and we usually take alignment quite seriously... so that´s why I´m asking... ;)

Casting a [good] spell *must* be a good act... but the point about the use of Magic Circle against Evil goes against this...

On the other hand... if casting PfE is not a decidedly good act... why should casting PfG be an evil act, and then why should a good char be unable (or unwilling) to cast PfG if the right circumstances arose??? - one could easily find a scenario where good-aligned creatures would fight each other!

I gues I have to houserule it... ;) - taking it spell by spell... *sigh*

This is a VERY black and white fantasy world (we play in FR) after all!!

EDIT: hehe nice one on the Blood Wars... :D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Nifft said:
But in the RAW, I think you'll find that casting Protection from Evil is indeed a [Good] act.

I'd love it if you could track down the quote. I've been looking for it for two or three years.

-Hyp.

Thanee

First Post
I'd definitely say, that casting a purely protective spell has no consequences on alignment in any way. That's just stupid. :)

It's a completely neutral act.

Spells, that actively affect others, now that's a different story, but spells like PfE? Not, really.

Clerics cannot cast them, because their gods don't grant them to their believers, but that's about it.

Bye
Thanee

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm thinking about playing an evil sorcerer summoner as my next PC, but I'm daunted by the fact that he has to know too many "magic circle against x" spells. I wish they were a single spell with several modes of casting like they used to be...

Thanee

First Post
Tatsukun said:
Hah, I can see it now. Down in the hells the Blood wars continue. The army of devils clashes with the army of demons, both being backed up by... Good mages. Good because they have cast PfE too many times...

Nah, you just have to carry around a bunch of blind kobolds victims for sacrifice.

Whenever you cast such a spell, you quickly make a sacrifice to remove the taint. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads