Excerpt: Economies [merged]

Kishin

First Post
Article said:
If I put 5th-level characters through 10 encounters of their level, they’ll gain enough experience to become 6th level. They’ll also gain four magic items above their level (one 6th, one 7th, one 8th, and one 9th), and total gold-equivalent treasure equal to double the value of a 5th-level magic item, or 2,000 gp. That’s the goal, and here’s how it works out in practice.

When I’m planning those 10 encounters, I look at the 5th-level treasure parcels in the DMG. That’s the treasure I’m going to give out, conveniently divided into ten chunks. The ochre jelly’s not guarding any of that treasure, but the dragon has (let’s say) three parcels.

Interesting. 4E's treasure parcelling system is the way I (and I'm willing to bet a good number of others) have been doing for some time with 3.5E, using the GP values of items and the wealth per level. (Though I tend to make judgment calls on whether or not the party really an influx of items, and lately my players aren't the most thorough lot.

Also, Disenchant Magic Item? All I can say is "In before the latest tidal wave of D&D is WoW!" posts.

Although I must say it kinda amuses me. I quit WoW once my D&D campaign started back up in earnest, and now its like a little piece of it followed me home...

Edit: What follows is an actual conversation I had with a friend as I was reading the article.

Me (reading Disenchant Magic Item): Seriously, if item creation and upgrading in 4E involves 'fragments' disenchanted from other magical items. I will hit the design team with the Prismatic Spray of Judo Chops, such that they will end up stunned, blinded and insane on another plane of existence.
Friend: Heheheh...
Me: (Scrolls down, notes 'residuum)
Me: MEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARLS (/StarTrek)

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
OH MY GOD!

They broke down the treasures system, not only by level, but by encounter!

I NO LONGER HAVE TO DO MATH to figure out how much treasure each PC should have, ever! I never have to BS my way through "What did I get when I pick pocketed" or "Let's go infiltrate that guild hall and steal stuff; what'd we get?" Furthermore, I no longer need to worry my group is underfunded, or that being overfunded will break me.

THANK YOU WOTC! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Kordeth

First Post
ppaladin123 said:
You'll have to explain what DEing is. I haven't a clue.

Disenchanting. Something you can do in WoW to turn crappy or useless to you items into the components to make new magic items.

Actually, if I recall correctly, you can disenchant anything in WoW to get magic item material.

Sojorn

First Post
ppaladin123 said:
You'll have to explain what DEing is. I haven't a clue.
Disenchanting. Also kidding with the comment about 4th being WoW but that is in fact disenchanting from WoW in that article.

keterys

First Post
Public Service:

Potions of ...

Healing 50g
Vitality 1000g
Recovery 25000g
Life 100000g

I really want to know if 'Life' means bringing the dead back to life, or is just some huge health value.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I really like disenchanting especially when it comes to being in dungeons. I like the idea of say a fighter or ranger, "disenchanting" by plucking out the magically enchanted rubies on a blade or shaving off the coating of magical dust on a suit of armour.

It makes alot more sense then lugging back all that loot, instead the rogue for example simply has a pocket full of rubies, etc.

Sojorn

First Post
Kordeth said:
Disenchanting. Something you can do in WoW to turn crappy or useless to you items into the components to make new magic items.

Actually, if I recall correctly, you can disenchant anything in WoW to get magic item material.
Anything of uncommon rarity or above. Which was just about everything after a certain level, yeah. :)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I hope there is something in the rules on how to deal with players who want to avoid the middleman and start raking in huge profit selling magic items directly.

Rechan

Adventurer
Odd. I notice that the Major Quest xp is equal to a creature of that equal level (because you're supposed to divide it by the number of PCs involved).

A 1st level monster: 100xp.
1st level Major quest for 4 PCs: 400 (400/4=100x).

It's far more efficient to just kill monsters than undergo quests, as a multi-session quest = 1 level-appropriate encounter.

Remove ads