Excerpt: Economies [merged]

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Kordeth said:
In before the "ZOMG 4E = WoW!" comments. ;)

EDIT: Never mind....

:p

Honestly, though, it does seem like a rather apt comparison.

And I'll stress, again, that it isn't necessarily a bad thing. WoW's enchanting system is pretty solid, and having something along those lines seems like a good call.

pawsplay

Hero
Rechan said:
Odd. I notice that the Major Quest xp is equal to a creature of that equal level (because you're supposed to divide it by the number of PCs involved).

A 1st level monster: 100xp.
1st level Major quest for 4 PCs: 400 (400/4=100x).

It's far more efficient to just kill monsters than undergo quests, as a multi-session quest = 1 level-appropriate encounter.

Yeah, I hate that about City of Heroes... um, I mean, 4e's XP system, too.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I suppose that was first introduced into d&d with the artificer's ability to reclaim XP from magic items for crafting purposes. I'm glad they included this as a general ritual. It should cut down on the "aww, not another +1 scimitar!" effect.

Kordeth

First Post
Rechan said:
Odd. I notice that the Major Quest xp is equal to a creature of that equal level (because you're supposed to divide it by the number of PCs involved).

A 1st level monster: 100xp.
1st level Major quest for 4 PCs: 400 (400/4=100x).

It's far more efficient to just kill monsters than undergo quests, as a multi-session quest = 1 level-appropriate encounter.

Except that quest rewards and monster rewards aren't mutually exclusive, so the correct statement is "it's far more efficient to go on quests to kill monsters than to just roam the countryside killing monsters at random." ;)

Shroomy

Adventurer
ppaladin123 said:
I suppose that was first introduced into d&d with the artificer's ability to reclaim XP from magic items for crafting purposes. I'm glad they included this as a general ritual. It should cut down on the "aww, not another +1 scimitar!" effect.

The system only parcelling out four magic items per level should cut down on tha (that and the way equipment bonuses work with monsters!)

Remove ads