Excerpt: Economies [merged]

malraux

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
I hope there is something in the rules on how to deal with players who want to avoid the middleman and start raking in huge profit selling magic items directly.
Um, beyond just a rule saying they can't do that, what would you like? Pretty simple just to say that unless the players want to create a merchant based campaign, with appropriate rules, that their characters just don't have the contacts/reputation/time to be a full time merchant.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Kordeth said:
Except that quest rewards and monster rewards aren't mutually exclusive, so the correct statement is "it's far more efficient to go on quests to kill monsters than to just roam the countryside killing monsters at random." ;)

QFT.

Many quests will involve the killing of monsters, in which you will get XP for killing the monster AND for completing the quest.

Fitz

FireLance

Legend
pawsplay said:
If you actually want to benefit from their new treasure balancing rules, you're going to need a good spreadsheet for your campaign.
Or: fifteen minutes and a sheet of scrap paper, before writing down the location and contents of each parcel in your DM notes (you know: the one containing all the monsters, traps and other challenges for the adventure).

Rechan

Adventurer
So, the only thing one is supposed to really spend gold on is magical items.

I thought 4e was supposed to reduce the dependency on magical items? All your money in 3e was funneled into your equipment. I'd really like to avoid that particular feeling.

This also makes me wonder what you do if you reduce the amount of magical items in your games period. The "I give you the necessary bonuses of magical items you WOULD be getting this level, instead of giving you the items" method.

And, here's an important part: That NPC who is carrying around that Level 6 item... can he use that? I mean, if that NPC can't use that item, then I question why that guy has it in the first place.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
pawsplay said:
Logically, someone can and will sell a magic item, and someone may buy it. Kings, if no one else.

IIRC, this was one of the seminal conundrums that eventually led me to the wisdom of not thinking too hard about fantasy.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
pawsplay said:
On the other hand, players being preoccupied with melting down magic items to make other magic items is not really my cup of tea.
I don't really see it as melting down magic items. I see it likes this.

A rogue, who has learnt to identify magic items is scouring over the remains of the enemies his party kills. He notices a ring on the finger of a wizard, he cuts off the finger and slides the ring off, the ring has a ruby attached to it. The rogue pries off the ruby and pockets it.

What the rogue just did was disenchant that ring.

Now more powerful items, may require say a specific magical incantation to puncture its defences, but for normal basic magic items, simply prying off the thing enchanted works.

Kordeth said:
Except that quest rewards and monster rewards aren't mutually exclusive, so the correct statement is "it's far more efficient to go on quests to kill monsters than to just roam the countryside killing monsters at random." ;)
Unless you're playing a solo game, in which case the most efficient way to get xp is to rescue cats from trees and help old ladies accross the road. (Since xp from minor quests don't seem to scale by amount of players).

Gloombunny

First Post
Rechan said:
So, the only thing one is supposed to really spend gold on is magical items.

I thought 4e was supposed to reduce the dependency on magical items?

All your money in 3e was funneled into your equipment. I'd really like to avoid that particular feeling.
So, use their ideas about disallowing the sale/purchase of magic items. Then money can be reserved exclusively for ale and whores, as it should be.

Family

First Post
AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! I MUST PLAY 4E NOW!!!!!
*Rolls D20 repeatedly*
[mumbles "ritual" "orc" and "dragonborn" amongst other things as he does so]

IT IS SO CLOSE YET SO FAR!

DADDY'S COMING FRANCIS! DADDY'S COMING!!!!!!

Boarstorm

First Post
small pumpkin man said:
Unless you're playing a solo game, in which case the most efficient way to get xp is to rescue cats from trees and help old ladies accross the road. (Since xp from minor quests don't seem to scale by amount of players).

If by cats you mean displacer beasts and if the road is filled with nightmare-driven chariots packed with legion devils, I absolutely agree! :)

Remove ads