• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exclusive Bruce Cordell interview

RSKennan

Explorer
Edit: I know this is off topic for the current topic of the thread, but it still applies to the thread as a whole:

I'm reluctantly with the group that says monks shouldn't be in the PHB1. If the focus is really going to be some value of medieval European fantasy, I'd rather see rules that hone in on that in place of a class that may not fit the broader implied setting. Of course, there is a strong "stranger from the east" archetype in fantasy, but maybe we don't need him in the core book.

However, I'd like to say that my ideal D&D would encompass all cultures equally, not just Europe. Wouldn't it be awesome if each subsequent PHB/DMG focused on a different set of cultures? PHB2 might be Asia, PHB3 could be Africa, India, or the Americas etc.

That would be amazing.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Mouseferatu said:
I actually agree. I love what I've heard of the concept of the warlord class, but I hate the name. I'd much rather they'd gone with "marshal."

Considering that we already have the ultra-generic term 'fighter', the new class could probably be appropriately given another ultra-generic term like 'leader' :)

RSKennan

Explorer
Leader could definitely work. You can have leaders at all levels of experience, from the peasant who rallies his village to the warrior-king who reclaims the kingdom from the forces of evil.

JRR_Talking

First Post
Armsman i like too

I also very much like the idea of a will defence, reflex defence and fortitude defence.....
so to hit someone you need to overcome their ReDef with an attack roll, i wonder if that means a mindflayer has a +10 will attack that if it hits (ie is higehr than will defences) stuns for a duration. This cuts out 1 dice roll
reflex defence (ie AC) doesnt have a dice roll, so why should your will or fortitude defence.

John

Andor

First Post
What's in a name?

If you hate 'Warlord' as a class name, just remember, it could be worse. He could have been called the 'Hunter.' :p :D

Remathilis

Legend
Dire Bare said:
You all realize, don't you, that if we have the Warforged race in 4e, and the Warlord class . . . . somebody's gonna write up a Warforged Warlord, or a Warlord Warforged, or a Warforgedlord, or Warlordforged . . . .

It's just clunky and will never work.

Too late. May I introduce you to my warforged warblade4/warmage3. Guess what his name is? ;)

Remove ads