• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exploring the Hase-Suna Complex (Manzanita judging) [Concluded]

orsal

LEW Judge
Payne begins fiddling with the trap on the lock. She tries to aim a wire pick delicately into the release mechanism, but has difficulty placing it. She tries, and tries again, getting more and more tense as she continues to play with the lock. Finally, her fingers slip, and she ends up releasing a noxious gas into the room.

Payne is, however, nimble enough to jump away and avoid inhaling the fumes. Lokin and Kongu are not so talented; standing right behind the rogue with shield and torch, they each are hurt. Kol, Kyle and Zurd, being farther back, are less affected.

In their haste to turn away from the harmful gas, Lokin and Kongu don't keep the torch lit. The room is now dark again. There is a speck of light coming from the ceiling vents, but not enough to see more than a few feet in front of you.

OOC:
Trap DC 20. Disable Device results: 19, 18, 8.
Saving throws (DC 16):
Payne 26 (Evasion, no damage)
Kongu 15 (2 HP damage)
Lokin 10 (3 HP damage)
Zurd 17 (half damage, 1 HP)
Kol 7 (1 HP damage)
Kyle 2 (2 HP damage)

TwistedMindInc

First Post
Payne dodges out of the way, one may say evading the toxins that pour out of the chest. ``Oops.`` A half-grin forms on her lips, one which is not completely wiped away by the time she turns to Kongu and Lokin. ``Traps all disabled, `` said in a semi proud tone. She didn't intend on harming the others, and had she got to choose whom was injured it would've been even sweeter.. but! Such is the life of one campaigning with a rogue.

Lot

First Post
Lokin seems to have gotten the worst of the gas. He coughs violently for a moment, the torch going out due to his sudden, spastic movements. When Lokin recovers, he picks up the torch and tries to re-ignite it. He spits into the corner, trying to rid his mouth of the taste of the gas. Lokin then turns to Payne, his expression hard to see in the dark.

"At least no one important was hurt," he says wryly, not surprised that the rogue was not quite dexterous enough to disarm the trap but certainly quick enough to get out of the way of danger.

Last edited:

TwistedMindInc

First Post
In the darkness no one could see the smirk upon Payne's face, which was probably a good thing. If it mattered? She didn't want Lokin caught in the gas, in fact.. she was confident enough that she could open the chest without setting off the trap. Guess she still had some work cut out for her. ``It's not like I meant to set off the trap. How's the torch lighting coming along?`` Said as she felt her way back to the chest. She wanted to see what exactly was being kept protected.

orsal

LEW Judge
Kol is correct; the ventilation does clear the gas much faster than it would have in any other room. If the party waits it out in the middle of the room, they will take no further damage.

Kongu cedes the torch to Lokin, realizing that the person holding the shield will be better able to keep it shielded from the wind. She also stays farther back, in case there is another mishap.

Payne gets back to work on the lock. The gas has already been released; there is no more. So, after a couple minutes fiddling, she finally gets it open. Inside the chest is a stash of gold and platinum coins, and gems. Specifically

500 GP
200 PP
1 red spinel
1 moonstone
1 amethyst
1 malachite gemstone
1 pair of finely crafted jewelled anklets

Lot

First Post
Lokin gazes at the wealth in the chest.

"Payne, no problem about the trap. Just giving you a hard time. I'd have traps sprung on me all day if it guarantees finding loot like this."

He pulls a heavy sack out of his pack and unfolds it.

"We can carry it in this."

hero4hire

Explorer
A broad smile crosses Kol's face. "Aye! About time we found some booty. Besides the enchanted shield anyway." he runs some of the jewels through his fingers.
"Anyone know what these are worth?"

TwistedMindInc

First Post
Payne eyed Lokin suspiciously. First time they get loot and he wants it put in his bag? Didn't he all ready have the magical shield? Huh. ``I've no idea how much they are worth, though I'm assuming quite a bit for them to be protected behind such a dangerous trap.`` Spoken to Kol as she continued to look from the jewels to Lokin. ``Here's the deal. I'll put the goods in your bag, but on one condition.`` Gloved hand plucks the red gem from the lot and shows it to those standing around. ``I want to hold on to this one.`` That was a fair thing to say, right? At least this way.. if Lokin decided to ditch, she'd get something for her troubles. Got to give the theif some credit, at least she was trusting someone else to carry the bag.

Lot

First Post
Lokin looks with surprise with Payne's suspicion.

"Are you kidding me? I was just offering to hold it because I'm pretty strong and I didn't think you'd want to be weighed down. Also, I thought a big sack of coins and gems might be a little noisy. Since I'm a wearing a suit of mail, I'm already too loud for it to really make much of a difference. But, if you want to carry the sack of loot, be my guest."

Remove ads