Extreme self-preservation

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Add ledges and stuff, to prevent the players from backtracking (with any ease at least, out of combat it should be fine as long as they were smart enough to put down ropes and stuff).

WaterRabbit

Explorer
I would also introduce using the Optional Flanking rules from the DMG and add more low level combatants. Characters that separate themselves from the group are more easily defeated in detail, which encourages more group cohesion. Also using monsters that use pack tactics like wolves create this dynamic. Have characters that separated get surrounded and beaten down and they will stop running a way.

Creatures like wolves would tend to go after a character running from them anyway so it logically works as well.

Also, consider adding traps that don't hit the person that triggered it but characters other characters. For example, I had a pit trap with spikes in the bottom. The pit was easy to find, but on the other side was a pressure plate which linked to a crossbow trap. The character that triggered the trap was unlikely to be hit, but the characters in the rear would get a crossbow bolt in the back.

Last edited:

That's an interesting point. I don't remember when it changed from "Back stab" to "Sneak attack". There's really no reason I can think of to not do ranged in 5E.

Two-weapon fighting means more average weapon damage and a second chance for sneak attack, so significantly more damage overall. Rogues shouldn't use ranged attacks as their go to in combat unless they want to be less effective. Get in there and stab the heck out of those foes and make your party love (or envy) you.

Oofta

Legend
Two-weapon fighting means more average weapon damage and a second chance for sneak attack, so significantly more damage overall. Rogues shouldn't use ranged attacks as their go to in combat unless they want to be less effective. Get in there and stab the heck out of those foes and make your party love (or envy) you.

Until they take the Sharpshooter feat.

I have no problem playing melee rogues it's just an observation that most rogues are ranged.

aco175

Legend
Hiding every round is one of the ways rogues work to get sneak attack. I cannot count the number of threads about a halfling that can hide behind the fighter and pop out to get sneak attack- either with dagger or bow. It may just be part of the rules. I tend to play with flanking rules so this does not happen much, but could. I find it a bit cheap, but lets the rogue use his abilities and his shtick.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hiding every round is one of the ways rogues work to get sneak attack. I cannot count the number of threads about a halfling that can hide behind the fighter and pop out to get sneak attack- either with dagger or bow. It may just be part of the rules. I tend to play with flanking rules so this does not happen much, but could. I find it a bit cheap, but lets the rogue use his abilities and his shtick.

As a GM, the hide, pop up again to fire needs the rogue to *move*. If you hide behind a small object and stay there, foes still know your location! There is no surprise. Besides, if the fighter is adjacent to the enemy the hiding is not needed.

Oofta

Legend

The rules are fairly clear on this even if they do allow for some DM discretion

Under Hiding
You can't hide from a creature that can see you clearly

If the halfling pops out he can be seen clearly. You don't remain hidden just because at one point on your turn you were hidden. However there is an exception a few lines later.

under certain circumstances, the DM might allow you to stay hidden as you approach a creature that is distracted

This seems pretty clear to me. What those circumstances are will vary from DM to DM of course but I would never assume that the halfling can hide behind the fighter round after round. I know it wouldn't work if I were DMing.

Until they take the Sharpshooter feat.

I have no problem playing melee rogues it's just an observation that most rogues are ranged.

Is this AL observation? My players prefer melee rogues, but that's anecdotal.

Hiding every round is one of the ways rogues work to get sneak attack.

But this should rarely be needed. All you need is an ally in melee with your target. You can still shoot them from 60' away! I guess if your entire party frequently fights enemies at range this could be an issue...but I've never been in a game like that. It's a rare exception that someone isn't up on the front line--and more often than not the majority of the characters get into melee, including the rogues.

I wonder how many players (not saying you do) might actually think you have to be hidden to get Sneak Attack?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Is this AL observation? My players prefer melee rogues, but that's anecdotal.

But this should rarely be needed. All you need is an ally in melee with your target. You can still shoot them from 60' away! I guess if your entire party frequently fights enemies at range this could be an issue...but I've never been in a game like that. It's a rare exception that someone isn't up on the front line--and more often than not the majority of the characters get into melee, including the rogues.

I wonder how many players (not saying you do) might actually think you have to be hidden to get Sneak Attack?

Hidden is a way to get advantage, which, with the one rogue ranged attack, substantially increase damage output. Even with it, though, rogues don't top the damage pile. Honestly, this is what gets me about strong rulings to limit hiding for rogues -- the results don't merit the means. A rogue making a single, advantaged attack every round doesn't outpace other damage dealers in any sense -- they're still behind the multi-attacking fighter for the most part. I don't understand the heavy restrictions on rogue hiding as if they're getting something over on the game.

Remove ads