Falling Star Disciple tripping-specialized prestige class

kitcik

Adventurer
I would allow sanity to prevail, although you could add a class feature to the PrC that allows IT bonus attacks after a Knockdown.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Heh heh, didn't realize the name was in use. I just picked it cause it implied gravity and had a celestial body in the title like Setting Sun. I'm usually horrible at naming things, I was surprised I had picked such a good-sounding one in such a fast manner. And you had to go and ruin it. :(

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Thread necro!

I was thinking of adding a level 10 ability to imprison a foe as the spell. How is this?

[sblock]Gravity Well (Su): Once per day, against a foe he threatens and that is under the effect of Warding Takedown, a 10th level Disciple may cause the pentagram ward to glow brightly as a standard action, clinging to the victim and dragging him deep down into the earth. This functions as the Imprisonment spell, using your HD as the caster level, with a will save to resist (DC 10 +class level + wisdom modifer), and including the -4 penalty on the save if you know the target's name and facts about its life. You may only keep one creature imprisoned through this ability at a time per point of wisdom bonus you possess. At anytime thereafter, as a free (mental) action, you may choose to release an imprisoned creature to the location where you imprisoned him, as if by a Freedom spell, no matter what distance away you are, or even if you are on another plane. If a creature you have entombed is freed or released, you immediately become aware. If at any point your wisdom modifer is reduced such that you cannot sustain the amount of creatures you have imprisoned, you must immediately choose to relase enough beings to be within your new limit. If you should perish and are not raised, each imprisoned creature receives a new will save to gain freedom every year on the anniversary of your demise.[/sblock]

My friend thinks that is needlessly complicated and shouldn't have limits, so this would be his simplified, stripped down version. I like the flavor and empathic connection in mine better, but his is definitely more easy to run.
[sblock]Gravity Well (Su): Once per day, against a foe he threatens and that is under the effect of Warding Takedown, a 10th level Disciple may cause the pentagram ward to glow brightly as a standard action, clinging to the victim and dragging him deep down into the earth. This functions as the Imprisonment spell, using your HD as the caster level, with a will save to resist (DC 10 +class level + wisdom modifer), and including the -4 penalty on the save if you know the target's name and facts about its life.[/sblock]

Also, my friend thinks I should just ditch the +10 ft reach at 10th level. He thinks +5 ft as an Ex is believable, but +10 ft is not and isn't needed. He also says I should move Martial Technician up to 1st level and push other things back in exchange (Defensive Throw, basically). Not sure about that, but maybe. It's not like you got to level 10 tripping with a cruddy strength score, even with Setting Sun throws available, so I don't see the harm in putting it off a little. Finally, he suggested adding in an ability to make trip checks with thrown weapons using touch attack to hit and trip check instead of hitting full AC for damage, as normal. That could be possible, the FSD does have throwing maneuvers, though.

I also never properly replied to some of these comments.

kitcik said:
It would be helpful to add rules for tripping a climbing opponent (or one standing on the wall or ceiling). Possibly within the Aerial Stumble ability. I would suggest: must spend a move action to stabilize themselves (which provokes AoO's and, as applicable, requires a climb or balance check at -5) or fall to the ground.

I would allow the Improved Trip bonus attack on the 10th level power.

I could definitely add that to Aerial Stumble. I'm thinking...your trip check vs. their climb check, if you fail they can't try to trip you, if you succeed the victim falls but can attempt a +20 DC climb check to catch itself if the fall is long enough and there is something to grab onto (what are the rules for how far a creature that tries to catch itself falls before it can make the attempt? Being able to try before you fall any distance is pretty silly if the cause of the fall was failing a climb check at that same spot...).

I can allow the Improved Trip bonus attack on Logic-Defying Takedown, no problem with that.

Remove ads