• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer (spoilers)

Megatron

Explorer
IESB: IESB: We talked about it earlier today, the announcement of Laurence Fishburne being the voice of the Silver Surfer, Fox has said that they don't know if Galactus will even have a voice, can we address the rumor that Galactus is a giant cloud or something like that, is there any truth to those rumors?

Arad: You know, that's why they call them rumors (laughter), you will see more than a cloud, you will have enough Galactus to rejoice (laughter).

LOL PWND.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'd suspect in the original Marvel Universe, their ages would be greatly different.<snip many good observations>

So their age difference might have been a 16 years difference.

Possibly even more- the RR character is based on the classic 50's archetype of the distinguished & older scientist with the much younger girlfriend/wife.

Ibram

First Post
Ga-lac-tus

I loved Galactus in this... a huge, world eating, Lovecraftian horror... worth the 9$. Other then that though the movie lacked any real tension, everything just seemed jamed together. I did like Emperor Palpatine... I mean Victor Doom at some points in the movie, but the actor lacked any real menace.

In retrospect I can almost see another movie hiding under this one. a Doctor Doom disrupting the Richards/Storm wedding bit that was reworked abit to add SS and Galactus.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
My hope for the movie being better then "meh" was obliterated when Stan Lee popped on screen and said "I'm Stan Lee. No, really I am.." then realizing that two minutes later we got to see the movie's uncut trailer for the 1 billionth time.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Ibram said:
I loved Galactus in this... a huge, world eating, Lovecraftian horror... worth the 9$.
Problem is, to a lot of folks, Galactus is no supposed to be a carnivorous outer-god like nebula. It is a great thing to see such a creature that well executed on screen, but it belonged in the movie no more than a lipstick wearing giant in purple armor belongs in Cthulhu's tomb.

Last edited:

Ibram

First Post
frankthedm said:
Problem is, to a lot of folks, Galactus is no supposed to be a carnivorous outer-god like nebula. It is a great thing to see such a creature that well executed on screen, but it belonged in the movie no more than a lipstick wearing giant in purple armor belongs in Cthulhu's tomb.

It is more in line with the Ultimates Galactus (which I prefered), rather then the original one.

DonTadow

First Post
Ibram said:
It is more in line with the Ultimates Galactus (which I prefered), rather then the original one.
Ultimate Galactus demeans the idea of galactus.
Powerful entity that destroys and eats planets vs. an intergalactic army of one mind (wow! you know its bad when you're stealing ideas from star trek). Plus the intergalactic army has been done to death in the marvel universe, why destroy one of your best villians to do it again.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I liked the first one, and I liked this one even better. The interaction between the characters, the humor, some fantastic action sequences, etc. I'd have liked for them to remember that Sue is a biologist, but she did show some extremely cool uses of her power. In fact, all the various power displays are miles ahead of the first movie.

I liked Galactus just as well, especially the glimpses of the classic form you get in the heart of the devouring vortex. The whole 'it's just a cloud' nonsense is just the wailing of useless 'net wanna-be naysayers; it's a pretty awesome thing looking at it on the big screen. You could look at that whole titanic thing as an updated version of the classic Galactus carrier nimbus. I think maybe, maybe you could pull off the classic look if you went with a look like he has in the video game, but seeing Galactus as a more primal force was cool as well.

I liked the Frankie Raye easter-egg, there :) Johnny's long-time girlfriend and next Herald :)

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
I thought this was a great, great movie.

One of the best supers movies ever. Right up there with X-2 and Spider-Man.

They got the FF right, they got the Surfer right, they got Doom right (unlike the first one) and they even got Galactus right.

That and Andre Braugher doing his best Colin Powell makes this a huge thumbs up for me.

Megatron

Explorer
jesus christ...

Vigilance said:
I thought this was a great, great movie.

One of the best supers movies ever. Right up there with X-2 and Spider-Man.

They got the FF right, they got the Surfer right, they got Doom right (unlike the first one) and they even got Galactus right.

That and Andre Braugher doing his best Colin Powell makes this a huge thumbs up for me.

I seriously hope you're joking.

Remove ads