Fantasy Flight Games statement on Star Wars License

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Looks like it is FFG afterall. They just started links to X-Wing and Star Wars: The Card Game in their "Have you checked out our latest additions" links on their forums. Though the roleplaying game may have been something they passed on...hopefully we'll see more as the week progresses.
Yes, it's definitely FFG.

They made the following announcement:

Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce that it has entered a comprehensive licensing partnership with Lucasfilm Ltd. for the worldwide rights to publish card, roleplaying, and miniatures games set in the popular Star Wars™ universe!

”Being able to publish gaming products in the Star Wars universe is quite simply a hobby-game company’s dream come true,” said Christian T Petersen, CEO of Fantasy Flight Games. “I’m confident that both Star Wars fans as well as FFG’s regular customers will be blown away by the game experiences we have planned for this legendary IP.”

“As a leader in hobby gaming, we’re excited to be partnering with Fantasy Flight Games,” said Howard Roffman, President of Lucas Licensing. “Fun and adventure are hallmarks of the Star Wars saga, and FFG perfectly captures this in their games.”

FFG’s first two Star Wars game lines will be the X-Wing miniatures game and Star Wars: The Card Game, both scheduled to launch in early 2012.

No RPG announced so far, but the license covers it.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I wonder if they'll re-jigger the WH40K RPG (or WHFRP) system for the RPG or if they'll design a new system from scratch? I'd like to see a new system, myself, though they'll be hard-pressed to woo me away from my beloved D6 Star Wars system.

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
A d100 rehash of the game wouldn't be different enough to pull fans away from either WEG or WotC versions of the game, and it would step on the toes of their 40k sci-fi lines (Rogue Trader in particular). And despite the often sight-unseen bad press that WFRP 3 gets, a similar system would be pretty dang fun for Star Wars.

But then again I am a dirty scab that crosses edition war lines freely while wearing shiney shoes and a big top hat. Besides...FFG couldn't wound the Star Wars universe anymore than Lucas has done himself :)

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I look forward to starship minis, and hopefully minis for rpg. I love saga, and will be hard pressed to change, but anything is possible if the system plays well.

Herschel

Adventurer
(Pramas' blog makes it clear that the SW license is more or less the last thing he'd want to acquire).

Ah, so Green Ronin does have it then. ;)

Actually, Fantasy Flight recently converted four of their private game rooms in to offices atthe Event Center in order to handle a staff increase and the staff increase most likely needed to handle a new license and lines of Star Wars would be about, oh, say four people. :devil:

Bah, my smartassery was ninja'd by official stuff.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Am I the only one who wants to see a Space Marine battalion go up against the 501?

Yes cross reference that, and the Battlestar Galactica stuff as well. :devil:

So many questions, so much anticipation for it.

Now does it live to the hype.

We will see.
I'm waiting for them to open the Star Wars section on their RPG forum.
They have the Card and Mini game open so far.

possum

First Post
Yeah, I'm more interested in the fleet game. I just hope that they really mine the Expanded Universe more than WOTC did for their Starship Battles did. Congrats to FFG on getting the license, I can't wait for the eventual RPG.

Remove ads