Fantasy Movies

Wombat

First Post
Wippit Guud said:
Like I said... watch the trailer...

Watched the trailer.

Will see the movie.

It will be attrocious.

So why am I going? Because of my Arthurian collection, which emphasizes such "Arthurian Limburger" as a Planet of the Apes/King Arthur crossover comic book, a DVD of "The Mists of Avalon", and pictures from the Excalibur Hotel (Las Vegas).

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Not mentioned so far but that I think are fun are the Python movies:

Holy Grail: A great classic
Jabberwocky: One of the great death scenes on film
Eric the Viking: Not pure Python but a great spin off
Time Bandits: Another quasi-Python masterpiece

Mach2.5

First Post
Sword & The Sorcerer. Talk about a great villain! Any sorcerer that can rip someone's heart out of their chest at 30 paces is cool enough for me. Besides that, it was the first of those movies that acknowledged that spellcasters are physically taxed by casting spells

Damn fine movie. A bit on the goofy side at times (with lines like, "What's up with you, potato head?" and the oh so cheesy yet compelling sexy princess puts up lame struggle with reticulated python), it was great in that it actually for once gave you a real reason to hate the villain (Cromwell, not the demon, who was just oozed cool). That's something rather rare in a flick.

Kai Lord

Hero
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger and The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad are my two favorite Sinbad movies (and check out the latter if you want to see Gygax's likely inspiration for the Blue Dragon.)

And if you haven't seen it, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is better than all the fantasy films yet recommended in this thread.

If you're into the Terry Gilliam thing, Time Bandits and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen are both entertaining.

I've also heard from a couple of people that The Scorpion King was a lot of fun as well.

Frostmarrow

First Post
If you mention Clash of The Titans you have to mention The Golden Fleece! The last fight with the stop-motion skeletons is among the best I've ever seen!

The Golden Fleece is about Jason and the Argonauts, ICYF.

Frostmarrow said:
If you mention Clash of The Titans you have to mention The Golden Fleece! The last fight with the stop-motion skeletons is among the best I've ever seen!

The Golden Fleece is about Jason and the Argonauts, ICYF.
In fact, it's actually called Jason and the Argonauts and not the Golden Fleece. ;) Very classic fantasy film, though -- one of the best from the 60s.

Kai Lord said:
And if you haven't seen it, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is better than all the fantasy films yet recommended in this thread.
Your mileage will definately vary here. I didn't like this movie much at all.

Remove ads