Favorite Levels of Play and then some Advice

So...what are your favorite levels of play?

• Levels 1-5

Votes: 28 20.0%
  • Levels 6-10

Votes: 73 52.1%
  • Levels 11-15

Votes: 14 10.0%
  • Levels 16-20

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Levels 21+

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • No preference

Votes: 15 10.7%

Whimsical

Explorer
I prefer high level play. 12+.

But I recommend to the DM to read the first chapter of the Dungeon Master's Guide II, which included good advice on providing satisfaction to a mixed group of gamers. You may also try to "unsell" the game to the combat player, going into equisite detail on how the new game will be nothing like the old game and there may be several sessions where there would be no combat at all. He may choose to disinvite himself. Or if he stays but later whines you can always remind him that you warned him that this game may not be his cup of tea.

The first chapter of the DMG II was written by Robin D. Laws, and a lot of what he says there can also be found in the booklet mentioned in my sig below.

Funeris

First Post
Hehe...he knows what's up...and he'd never uninvite himself. He wouldn't give up this current game for...well anything. And I am a very very easy GMer....rules are great, and I make 'em work...but if they don't work, or I don't like how they work...they're modified and house ruled. I don't do that all the time...but for example, with the Jump skill we use exploding d6's...just so the characters can make those impossible leaps that save their necks. And I feel that the Jump skill is pretty much useless the way it was written.

So, he'd never leave. And I'd never want him to. He's a great friend. He's just more into powergaming than roleplaying....and I'm not going to leave combat out by any stretch of the imagination. If you remove combat and the possibility of death, the game loses some of its luster IMO.

We'll see how he does with the roleplaying...I'm sure he'll do exceptionally well because he's quite social. And if he gets into it, then he'll probably like it...and I'll be able to keep everyone happy which will make games go smoother and more fun all round. That is a major goal for me (and most GMs I'm sure).

:D

~Fune

Funeris

First Post
Just because I didn't respond, doesn't mean I didn't read ;)
I'll have to check out the link in your .sig....and I've only heard good things about the DMG II....buy I'm a paycheck to paycheck kinda guy....so I definitely won't have it before the next game (Friday night). I'm sure it'll help after that though.

:D

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I am of the opionion that play becomes interesting around 7th and caps around 12th.

At this point, adventurers begin really making an impact on the campaign world at large, and at least one player will want to build a stronghold and/or attract followers by then. This, alone, has spurred almost all of my previous campaigns on to near-Epic levels.

S'mon

Legend
I was tempted by 6-10, but actually 6-8 are my favourites and the game declines after 9th due to too much magic & number crunching, so I voted 1-5. The 3e DMG split of 1-5 6-10 11-15 16-20 doesn't really correlate with the actual break-points in the game IMO; the big break-points are

1. Where you get 3rd level spells, can fly & fireball - 5th - start of mid level
2. Where you can Raise Dead & Teleport - 9th - start of high level
3. Where you can limited wish, resurrect & greater teleport - 13th - start of very high level

eris404

Explorer
I had to choose "no preference." I really do like all levels of play but it really depends on the DM and setting - each has a level range where they work the best. I am curious to see what happens in my current game, though, because there is only one spellcaster, a druid/rogue/sorcerer, and I'm not sure how many levels he's going to invest in the classes with spells. The upper levels will be interesting, to say the least.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Really varies. Enjoy every level I've played at some point or another... Which spans from 1st-18th.

I figure my enjoyment is derived from the GM and their style of play more than anything else. Ideally someone who can keep things flowing, interesting, not too easy but not too lethal. Simple. :D

When a good GM is running stuff at their most comfortable levels is when I've normally had my best RPG experiences...

Remove ads