Favorite superhero RPGs?

Thomas Shey

Legend
I tend toward the representative, rather than narrative leaning-in SHRPGs (though I don't object to some of the latter mixed in). These days, in no particular order, I'd support BASH UE, Prowlers and Paragons UE, Supers RED, Mighty Protectors/Villains and Vigilantes 3e and Champions Complete. I ran an aborted campaign of BASH UE fairly recently (its premature end had fairly little to do with the system).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You're welcome to play what you like, of course. I'm not really interested in the political views of game designers. I'm interested in games.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
My first supers game was TSR's Marvel Super Heroes followed shortly by Villians and Vigilnates. Marvel Super Heroes Advanced with the Ultimate Powers book was a fun game for a LONG TIME.

I really got into the supers genre with DCHeroes (MEGS) and then Champions 4th Edition. This was when my friends and I stopped trying to play in an established universe (Marvel/DC) and really created our own worlds.

My favorite supers systems will always be the ones that really allow you to customize and use the rules to frame what you want your characters/NPC's to do. So for me that's Hero System/Champions 4th and 5th Edition and Mutants and Masterminds. I recently bought the latest Marvel SuperHeroes game on a lark just to see what it's made of. It's an interesting system but I'd like to see it in play.

You're welcome to play what you like, of course. I'm not really interested in the political views of game designers. I'm interested in games.

That's between you and your conscience, I suppose. I'm mostly mentioning it so that folks in this thread who come across your endorsement who ARE interested are warned away from giving their money to people who will use it to hurt other people.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That's between you and your conscience, I suppose. I'm mostly mentioning it so that folks in this thread who come across your endorsement who ARE interested are warned away from giving their money to people who will use it to hurt other people.
Do you even have evidence that he's a Nazi (an extremely inflammatory term) or that he's planning to use any money to hurt other people? The link you attached appeared to go to people making the same accusations you are.

Do you even have evidence that he's a Nazi (an extremely inflammatory term) or that he's planning to use any money to hurt other people? The link you attached appeared to go to people making the same accusations you are.

He was the CEO of Milo, Inc. As in Milo Yiannopoulos, the alt-right agitator. He also fostered and protected Gamergaters, the misogynist online harassment campaign. Look up various interviews he's given on various sites -- the picture does not get any better. So he can and has used money from his other projects (including other RPGs) for bad ends.

I have no reason to think he will not do so in the future.

There are other Superhero RPGs out there. To keep the thread on track, I've tried out a few, and I keep coming back to Mutants & Masterminds myself (I do like the Super Powers Companion for Savage Worlds, but there were some changes for SWADE that moved it away from things I personally enjoyed or wanted to see done with the system). One thing about M&M I like is that there's a vibrant community that has hung on, even past the closure of both the official boards Green Ronin used to host.

Remove ads