Fear The Walking Dead-episode 1

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's not about that. At least not for me. The idea of hitting a reset on the zombie meme is something that I find appealing. What I find hard to watch are the continual idiotic decisions that people in these shows make, if they are actually trying to survive.

What's wrong with imperfect characters? Sounds a lot more interesting than watching a group of tactical geniuses smoothly enacting perfect plans.

Ryujin

Legend
What's wrong with imperfect characters? Sounds a lot more interesting than watching a group of tactical geniuses smoothly enacting perfect plans.

There are characters who are human and flawed, and then there are characters who are bumbling buffoons who should have died while trying to get out the front door on day 1 (likely impaled on the doorknob). Unfortunately, to me at least, both shows in the franchise have pretty much become a formulaic version of the latter

Janx

Hero

Because we're watching it and it turns out it is painful to watch people make truly stupid mistakes.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Because we're watching it and it turns out it is painful to watch people make truly stupid mistakes.

I guess I like different things. I enjoy characters who make mistakes in a crisis. They're more like the real stupid mistakes real people make. It's more immersive to me. Everyone's tastes vary, of course. If I want super competence I'll watch one of those US quasi military shows.

Janx

Hero
I guess I like different things. I enjoy characters who make mistakes in a crisis. They're more like the real stupid mistakes real people make. It's more immersive to me. Everyone's tastes vary, of course. If I want super competence I'll watch one of those US quasi military shows.

You keep hitting extremes. I'm not asking for perfect military precision from this family either.

But having them choose idiots to be on this show who make the most painfully obvious mistakes is like Real World where they only accept the most dysfunctional people.

It's like watching that BBC Survivors show and the lady who always left the car door open everywhere she went. Who the heck does that?

extreme incompetence is anti-immersive to me.

Ryujin

Legend

I'm with Janx. If the people on TWD and FTWD are average folk, then so are the 'house guests' on "Big Brother."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm with Janx. If the people on TWD and FTWD are average folk, then so are the 'house guests' on "Big Brother."

Well, that's an exaggeraton. But still; I don't find TWD folks to be particularly stupid. It might be that I'm not clever enough myself, but it doesn't bother me. Like I said, YMMV.

Ryujin

Legend
Well, that's an exaggeraton. But still; I don't find TWD folks to be particularly stupid. It might be that I'm not clever enough myself, but it doesn't bother me. Like I said, YMMV.

It's not much of an exaggeration. Think about the prison season in the original series. You know that anyone who dies comes back as a walker. You have people dying of some sort of disease. Why, oh why, would you leave people who died of the disease in unlocked and open cells, in the area in which you're camped? That's monumentally stupid, for people who have survived that far.

Well,in the Father's defense he's clearly in denial, which is totally understandable because there's a huge difference between I saw X and automatically understand it and I saw X but there's a million different reasons that could explain it and I'm going with the most likely explanation that has been provided for me.

or to use a quote from mean in black 1 "The person is smart. People are dumb"

As for the druggie clothing isn't that high of a priority, it looks like his priorities are : Getting that next fix/slowly easing off drugs and then staying alive and safe. I mean as an asthmatic, i'm not really gonna be caring all that much about my clothes when the world is falling apart,i'm worried about keeping my condition under control and making sure i have medication.

Janx

Hero

It also could be that we're over-competent. I'm pretty sure I'm not as smart as Umbran, and I know I am as smart as my wife. But in a crisis, like a car accident, my wife will do the stupidest things, whereas I am doing the things that need doing like turning on hazards, checking for injuries, clearing out of traffic, taking pictures and getting license/insurance info and not claiming responsibility for an accident that was the other guy's fault because he was going the wrong way in a parking lot.

Even in a panic like jumping off a boat into water that is 2 inches deeper than I am tall, I manage to flail and jump in a useful direction toward a friend who can tow me closer to the shallows (true story, can't swim, and life vest wasn't as floaty as we thought).

I'm sure my combat skills are only effective against people who suck, but my general reaction to trouble and problem solving skills are top notch. I don't screw up in ways that matter in a crisis. Thus, watching people "do the dumbful" is like listening to my wife's latest fender bender and finding all the things she did wrong. Painful.

Remove ads