• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FIFTY remakes? Seriously?

Aeolius

Adventurer
So no chance of seeing Mansquito remade as a musical, then?

Some of these movies still stand the test of time. A reboot makes no sense at all. Arthur, Drop Dead Fred, Childs Play, Escape From New York, Poltergeist... oh, heck... most of them, then.

Granted, I'd be all over seeing a modern take on Creature From the Black Lagoon.

And THIS is for whomever thought resurrecting Porky's was a bright idea:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s"]Fish Slap[/ame]

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
From the sound of it many of those are just proposals and having even been green lighted. It would have been more interesting to list 50 remake movies of the past couple of years that did get made.

Or for that matter, how many non-remakes fall under the same category. It's one thing if it's 50 remakes out of 100 films, another if it's 50 out of 500.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
At least they didn't count George Lucas' work among the remakes...though that's where most of his fame is coming from these days...

Richards

Legend
And right here in this forum, there are folks extolling shows like ... Big Bang Theory ... and other mediocrities. Cleverness and creativity just doesn't play that huge of a factor in what people like or dislike. Presentation seems to be the real key component.
Big Bang Theory not clever or creative? Big Bang Theory mediocre?

This will not stand, Felon! Sabers at dawn. Bring a second.

Johnathan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This just in! M. Night Shaymalan's next project will be a thorough remake/sequel to Manos, Hands of Fate, with John Malkovitch in the titular role!!!*

* Happy Halloween!

Cor_Malek

First Post
Big Bang Theory not clever or creative? Big Bang Theory mediocre?

This will not stand, Felon! Sabers at dawn. Bring a second.

Johnathan

Should he want my company - I shall be his second.

Unless he adds Firefly* to his list, in which situation I'll be forced to stealthily dispose of him before the duel could take place anyway.

On a D&D website, we should be profoundly aware of this. Pretty much every "epic" adventures I've been on were the same tired stories of obtaining or destroying some magical McGuffin, or preventing someone else from obtaining or destroying a magical McGuffin. Basically, preserve the status quo by keeping doomsday locked away. And these are considered creative, because they're a step above mindless loot-grab dungeon crawls.

I'd put RPG adventures either in live action (mindless loot-grab as you phrased it ;-) ) or (and you will have to excuse my crude phrasing as I don't know proper English term) are part of Cinema of Journey. In latter - the McGuffin or truly any goal - is incidental; merely a premise to focus on true story - character development and interaction.
Not unlike Down By Law - and do you consider it mediocre picture? Is Lost Highway with non-existent goals mediocre? Is Coffee and Cigarettes merely a mainstream pulp?

* Series. The movie was $@#!.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I'd put RPG adventures either in live action (mindless loot-grab as you phrased it ;-) ) or (and you will have to excuse my crude phrasing as I don't know proper English term) are part of Cinema of Journey. In latter - the McGuffin or truly any goal - is incidental; merely a premise to focus on true story - character development and interaction.
Like the case in Ronin. The most incidental of all McGuffins. It didn't matter what was in it, just that everyone wanted it. My dad still curses the movie for not telling what it was. =)

Villano

First Post
It's unfair to label all of those films as "remakes". Some are based on books (The Three Musketeers, The Howling, Pet Sematary) or comics (The Crow, Judge Dredd, Death Note). Those are more "adaption" than "remake", IMO.

I'm trying to figure out which is worse, remaking a classic film (The Birds, True Grit), or remaking a film that was never good in the first place? (Drop Dead Fred? Seriously?)

If you have to remake a movie, I'd prefer it was of a bad one. Some bad movies have a good idea at their core but lacked the money or talent to pull it off. Plus, if you screw up a bad film no one is going to care.

Have you noticed there are 2 new Law & Order series (UK and LA)

And UK is literally just refilming old Law & Order episodes. :erm:

Someone

Adventurer
They should definitely film this:

33258.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads