Fight Club

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Captain Tagon said:
So, my final conclusion is that is a decent little movie with delusions of grandeur and shouldn't be the basis of your entire worldview. Yeah, that's extreme I know, but I know about twenty kids who seriously base their entire life on that movie.

It came out when I was a senior in high school, and yes, I think it is one of the defining films of my generation. (Of course, I'm extremely biased)

I question it's literal faithfulness to the book, but as far as faithfulness in spirit, well, Palahniuk was quite close to Fincher throughout the making of it, and actually admitted that he was blown away by what he did with his book- he admitted in an interview that he thought the book was a pale shadow of the movie, which is an unusual sentiment for an author!

But yes, Fight Club is definitely part of the vernacular of most of my friends and peers, even if it doesn't define our *entire* worldview, it certainly contributes- it's as much a part of the landscape as Star Wars or Pulp Fiction among most 20-something guys I know though...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I didn't base my worldview off the movie, but I still think it's one of the best films I've ever seen, and I could easily watch it over and over without anything being lost for me. It's a modern classic to me.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Geez, people, don't you know the rules? What's the first frickin' rule of Fight Club?

Sheesh.

It's too good a movie to deserve dissection. You do not talk about Fight Club.

Olive

Explorer
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
I liked the book too, but actually thought the movie was better. It was really one of the best novel-to-film conversions I've seen since The Godfather, and you can tell much respect was paid to the source while still finding its own vision. I'd take the movie's ending over the book's anyday.

Agreed on all counts.

Wayside

Explorer
Captain Tagon said:
So, my final conclusion is that is a decent little movie with delusions of grandeur and shouldn't be the basis of your entire worldview. Yeah, that's extreme I know, but I know about twenty kids who seriously base their entire life on that movie.
What I am getting here is that you think Tyler's program for the world is the "point" of the movie, yes? It sounds like you know about twenty kids who seriously base their entire life on their misinterpretation of that movie. I've met a few of those guys, so I sympathize.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Wayside said:
What I am getting here is that you think Tyler's program for the world is the "point" of the movie, yes? It sounds like you know about twenty kids who seriously base their entire life on their misinterpretation of that movie. I've met a few of those guys, so I sympathize.

I'm one of those guys.

I belonged to sort of a "Fight Club" when I was younger.

A friend of mine got intoa fight at school and got the crap kicked out of him. When he talked about it afterwards he said he just "froze up"...just panicked and couldn't get his act together before the fight was effectively over.

So we all decieed we would fitht each other semi-regularly in an effort to get "used" to fighting. Our rules weren't quite as Arcane as Tyler and Jack's...

1) Don't be a dick, we are all friends here. If someone gives up, then the fight is over.

2) No kicking when the guy is on the ground. Give him one "pretend" kick, then the fight ends and you have won.

3) No Eye-gouging or fish hooking.

4) When he fight is over, congratulate each other, shake hands and tell the other guy what he could've done better.

That was it. We got a lot better at fighting--it just wasn't all that strange a situation for any of us anymore--and the worst anyone ever got hurt was a few broken noses (mine was one) a guy named Craig who got his front tooth knocked out.

We had no plans to destry the World's credit card records mind you.

Wayside

Explorer
Teflon Billy said:
I'm one of those guys.

I belonged to sort of a "Fight Club" when I was younger.

We had no plans to destry the World's credit card records mind you.
Yeah, Fight Clubs aren't uncommon in the least, and are probably a pretty healthy thing to be involved in no matter what sort of views you have. It's not a whole lot different than what you'd call MMA training these days.

I was thinking more of the Project Mayhem approach to conflict resolution, the "complete and right-away destruction of civilization." Some people like to talk about that the same way geeks like to talk about "what if I could jump through a portal and be in my favorite fantasy universe?" You'd get aced by a wandering band of goblins, that's what.

Starman

Adventurer
I love the movie (it was the first I bought on DVD after I got my first player) and the book. I enjoy both of them more and more with each viewing/reading.

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.

Starman

Wayside

Explorer
Heh, nice avatar Starman. One of the things I liked about Fight Club initially was the simple inversion of the use of soap. Freud says soap is the yardstick of civilization? Palahniuk has Tyler use it to blow stuff up. It's the little things..

Remove ads