Fight Club

Wayside

Explorer
Teflon Billy said:
The fact that Tyler's crusade (Project Mayhem) was not supposed to be a popular concept with the viewing public (and was, I think, just a way for Jack's subconscious to deal with the fact that he couldn't talkt o Marla), does nothing to change the fact that Tyler himself was absolutely chock-a-block full fo usefull insights for the modern man.

If none of that rings true to you on any level, then I guess we are just not of the same Generation/Tribe/Cloth/whatever.
I'm sure Tyler, everything he says, everything he stands for, was supposed to be popular with the public. The people who like Fight Club, the ones who watch it more often than they get to bed before 4 a.m., the ones who own the DVD's and books, the ones who carve quotations into walls and paint them on sidewalks, are the people who like Tyler. I have a hard time believing that isn't how it was intended to be.

But his insights, while useful, aren't novel. Or at least, content-wise, there's nothing there that hasn't been said before--but also nothing that shouldn't be said again, and again, and again, I agree. But I think Tyler is more a style than a message--he's all in the delivery. Heh, actually I'm getting an abstract together for an upcoming conference, and for the paper itself I'm thinking of throwing some Tyler in as an epigraph, right between two literary heavyweights. Should be fun.

Welverin

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
The fact that Tyler's crusade (Project Mayhem) was not supposed to be a popular concept with the viewing public (and was, I think, just a way for Jack's subconscious to deal with the fact that he couldn't talkt o Marla), does nothing to change the fact that Tyler himself was absolutely chock-a-block full fo usefull insights for the modern man.

Actually Tyler is nameless's way of coping with the dissatisfaction with his life, which I believe was first manifested in his insomnia. For proof I point to the images of tyler that pop-up on occasion before marla shows up. Marla just seems to push him farther along the road, once nameless started going to the support groups his insomnia started to abate, but once Marla showed up that stopped working and he had to go even farther.

I do agree that your not supposed to identify with Project Mayhem, hell the whole story is about nameless figuring out what Tyler is going to far and figuring out where to stop.

Remove ads