Fighter build help

Darklone

Felix said:
Sure they do: the English invented whisky so the Scots and Irish wouldn't take over the world. :D
Odd. I got a T-shirt from Ireland that says that Gawd invented that drink for the very same goal.

So gawd is British :D?

Felix

Explorer
Darklone said:
Odd. I got a T-shirt from Ireland that says that Gawd invented that drink for the very same goal.

So gawd is British :D?
It's an old saying. ;)

And of course he's British; can you think of any other accent that would sound appropriate booming out of the clouds? :D

szilard

First Post
I'm not certain why you'd want both the heavy flail and the greatsword here. Is there something specific you are going for?

Here are some weapon features to consider:

sheer damage (Greatsword, Greataxe) [Power Attack, Improved Sunder]
critical range/multiplier (Falchion, Scimitar, Rapier, Scythe) [Improved Critical]
trip? (Guisarme, Halberd, Scythe) [Improved Trip]
disarm bonus? (Flails, Ranseur) [Improved Disarm]
set vs. charge? (Halberd) [?]
reach? (Guisarme, Ranseur) [Combat Reflexes, Mobility]

Think about what sort of combat you want to engage in and consider weapons that will work well with that style (some examples in parentheses). Then consider feats that will boost your abilities in those areas that are compatible with the chosen weapons and/or that expand your options in those weapons (some examples in brackets).

All the examples are from the SRD, but there are some cool things out there - like the feat (somewhere?) that lets you use a Halberd as a reach weapon - that can really expand your capabilities and flexibility.

-Stuart

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As I recall, Flails can trip as well...

As for the Halberd thing, I've seen the same in both a WoTC product (though which one escapes me) and DCv1.

DCv1 has feats that add 5" to your reach, let you use a reach polearm against adjacent opponents, use a polearm as a double weapon, use a polearm as a monk weapon (!), and so forth...

As well as a whole slew of additional polearms!

Rhun

First Post
szilard said:
I'm not certain why you'd want both the heavy flail and the greatsword here. Is there something specific you are going for?

Having a heavy weapon as a back-up means that if he loses his primary, he will still have a two-handed weapon to take advantage of his power attack type build. I've got a half-orc fighter in play right now that wields a greatsword and carries a heavy flail as a back-up weapon. It actually just came into play, as my PC dropped his greatsword and ran off due to a fear effect, only to find himself surrounded when he stopped running. The heavy flail made a nice back-up.

He is posted in this Rogue's Gallery, so the OP can take a look:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=178372

szilard

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
As I recall, Flails can trip as well...

Ah, yes. I forgot about that.

So, the question is - is 2d6 vs. 1d10 and slashing vs. bludgeoning worth carrying a greatsword as well as the heavy flail when the flail is so much more versatile?

I might go for the heavy flail and either a spear , trident, or throwing axe for ranged/non-bludgeoning damage... or a polearm for reach and non-bludgeoning damage.

In general, I like the idea of picking a very versatile weapon and becoming very, very good with it in all its forms.

-Stuart

Angerland

First Post
ok, to show that I have been thinking of this: The soldier type I was going for is loosley based of the Dopplesoldat from Landsknect armies. These soldiers were usually the biggest and strongest and carried the two handed swords. they also were tasked with defending against the long pikes the Swiss and other Landsknechts carried, using their huge swords to lop of the sharp heads of incoming pole arms. Because they were also usually veterans and very good fighters they also recieved twice the pay of the average soldier thus the "Dopple" portion fo their name. Armor wise this would be medium to heavy armor

The Heavy Flail is there to use when the Great Sword wont work, ie things that are only affected by bludgeoning weapons, or when trip attacks in conjunction with our barbarisan fighter type will come into play. Of course I would use a ranged weapon as well, most likely a bow so I can strength adjust and fire off many shots with my # of attacks. Reach weapons the same thing, if I find that I need them I will buy one in town and get to stomping...

only the books listed in the first post are the books allowed, please. Would it help if I posted the feats i was interested in and you could help me get them in the right order? I will do that, NOTE: there are more feats that I like than a fighter can take through 20 levels so I need your help picking them and ordering them well.

Power attack, WF (Great Sword), Cleave, Dodge, Great Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Combat expertise (need Int 13), Melee Mastery (slashing), Weapon Spec (Greatsword), Improved Crit, Improved Trip, Improved Sunder, Improved Bull Rush, Combat Brute, Shock Trooper, Power Crit...maybe a few shooting feats to keep rounded...Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Imp Rapid Shot...ok I think that is most of them.

szilard

First Post
Angerland said:
Power attack, WF (Great Sword), Cleave, Dodge, Great Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Combat expertise (need Int 13), Melee Mastery (slashing), Weapon Spec (Greatsword), Improved Crit, Improved Trip, Improved Sunder, Improved Bull Rush, Combat Brute, Shock Trooper, Power Crit...maybe a few shooting feats to keep rounded...Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Imp Rapid Shot...ok I think that is most of them.

Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization should be taken as quickly as possible - they give you the most bang for the buck at low levels (though it isn't like they ever stop being useful).

If you need suggestions on things to drop: Improved Sunder could be skipped - since, though effective, it tends to render loot worthless.

-Stuart

nittanytbone

First Post
Greatsword is perfect with power attack for massive damage.

You really don't need any other feats, although Combat Brute and Leap Attack sure don't hurt.

Cardinal rule of fighters: Don't take an odd number of levels, ever. EVER.

Some way to get Big would be helpful for you. A friendly mage with Enlarge Person, potions of Enlarge Person, or being a cleric of Strength would help (Kord might be a good deity -- his favored weapon is the Greatsword, too). If you're big, you're greatsword does 3d6 damage and has reach. You also get huge bonuses to trip and such.

Also, do not neglect your will save. You need good wisdom, a multiclass with something that has good will saves (like cleric), or the Iron Will feat. Paladin Divine Grace save bonus can help too.

Check out the Frenzied Berserker PrC -- it is the highlight massive melee damage PrC, so good its considered broken by many.

Remove ads