• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighters and Alchemy

Alabast

First Post
It seems that the fighter's combat challenge allows him to mark targets with any attack, including non-fighter attacks. I know dragonborn breath has been discussed, but it looks like a fighter-alchemist, using area attacks not restricted to 1/encounter, could be a pretty diesel marking machine if he wanted to be. Clever build or Blatant exploit? Discuss!

My opinion: He sure would be good at marking, but the need to throw his wares would preclude the use of a shield and thus make him easier to hit for all of those pissed off enemies he just set on fire/burned with acid/chilled with frost. Probably a balanced option.

Last edited:

Alas

First Post
I'm reminded of a scene from the early Cerebus comics, when Cerebus would walk into a seedy bar, say, "Hey, you!" and whip a 15-lb. bag of flour at the assembled patrons.

Narrative result: everybody takes it personally, and gets ready to charge him.
D&D translation: area attack marked all targets (with extreme incentive).

As a DM, I'd be willing to let a fighter with an alchemical Molotov get away with the same tactic.

hafrogman

Adventurer
My opinion: He sure would be good at marking, but the need to throw his wares would preclude the use of a shield and thus make him easier to hit for all of those pissed off enemies he just set on fire/burned with acid/chilled with frost. Probably a balanced option.
I think this, combined with the fact that you can only use combat challenge once per round anyways, put this firmly nowhere near overpowered, and just into the 'good, clean fun' category.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads