• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Final words...

JRYoung

First Post
Rethlin is still deaf, but he moves to the rope which must still be attached to the skycab and grabs it with his shield strap hand, physically blocking the way up. He then proceeds to swing his morning star in an arc back and forth like a blind man does with a cane.

ajanders

Explorer
Move silently (1d20 11=19)

The invisible Manticore freezes atop the carriage, too silent even for Sedar's ears.

Rethlin is still deaf, but he moves to the rope which must still be attached to the skycab and grabs it with his shield strap hand, physically blocking the way up. He then proceeds to swing his morning star in an arc back and forth like a blind man does with a cane.

(In the film version, we'd cut away to an F/X version of invisible Manticore carefully sighting on Rethlin's eye, let the tension build until the audience screams "RETHLIN, LOOK OUT!!!" then fire.
Unfortunately, we haven't added the fourth wall here.)

Rethlin never even hears the snap of the crossbow.

1d20 12=31
Critical Threat!

Confirm critical (1d20 12=24)
Confirmed, I believe: Rethlin does not have his Dex bonus and I think his Protection from Evil spell has run out too.

Damage (1d10 2=8, 1d10 2=3)
Rethlin takes 11 points of damage -- 8 if the critical does not confirm.

Thus endeth the surprise round. Roll initiative.

JRYoung

First Post
ajanders said:
Rethlin never even hears the snap of the crossbow.

1d20 12=31
Critical Threat!

Confirm critical (1d20 12=24)
Confirmed, I believe: Rethlin does not have his Dex bonus and I think his Protection from Evil spell has run out too.

Damage (1d10 2=8, 1d10 2=3)
Rethlin takes 11 points of damage -- 8 if the critical does not confirm.

Thus endeth the surprise round. Roll initiative.

Rethlin drops like a sack of potatoes, he is at -1 and unstable. Rethlin Init (1d20+1=3)

ajanders

Explorer
The final battle...seriously

Manticore is now visible since he has attacked, crouched on the skytruck, which is hovering about 10 feet off the ground.
He gazes with satisfaction at Rethlin's prone bleeding form.
The order is:

Sedar
Manticore
Zook
Rethlin (unconscious)

Rethlin, you can spend an action point on your turn to stabilize automatically. I believe you do that instead of rolling.

Sedar is up.

ajanders

Explorer
Sedar's arrow flies true and strikes Manticore in the shoulder...he sways for a moment, then decides to make a break for it, whipping up the horses.
handle animals check (1d20-3=4)

The horses go nowhere, and Manticore curses.

"MANTICORE!!!" James screeches, and throws his rapier at the Emerald Claw agent. It bounces off the side of skytruck and clatters to the ground.
Frothing slightly, leaps for the truck, catches the wheel, and starts trying to climb up the side of the skycarriage.
Unfortunately, every time he tries to climb up the wheel it rotates, lowering him. James appears not to notice in his frenzy.
The watchmen guarding the carriage appear utterly flummoxed as they watch their leader become a frothing maniac.

"Take cover!" Kae yells from the gate. "Women and children first!"
She takes her own advice and retreats.
(OOC: sorry, but not present, not played.)

Zook is up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads