• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fire! (Dunamin judging)

Korthala

First Post
Solitaire is frustrated by her inability to read the crowd properly, and ends up falling back on her old tricks. She shouts at the various arguing bucket brigaders to make sure she's heard over the chaos and arguing. I happen to know for a fact that the city guard considers obstructing the job of fighting a fire to be a hanging offense! So everyone needs to pull themselves together and start working as a team, or it will be the gallows for the lot of you!

[sblock="OOC"]Bluff check (1d20+8=20)

Also, if I need to wait for someone else to complete an action, just slot this in when it's my turn.[/sblock]

Last edited:

DoublePayBack

First Post
While looking around for a way to be helpful in the situation, Galinndan notices Callen staring at the waterless fountain. He scurries over to Callen and asks, "Do you think you can fix it? Can I be of any help? I am a bit of a scholar.... maybe if we both put our heads together we can figure out how to get water to flow again."

[sblock=OOC DM Question]
If two characters with a good deal of History under their belt were to analyze the problem together, would there be any bonus given to a roll to identify the source of the problem?
[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
If two characters with a good deal of History under their belt were to analyze the problem together, would there be any bonus given to a roll to identify the source of the problem?

This would be the Aid Another action - one of you makes a History roll with a DC 10 to assist the other, and if you make it, that person gets +2 to their own History roll.

The difference between this and using a Secondary skill is that the secondary skill is tougher (DC 12 for the Level 1 people in Challenge 1, DC 13 for the Level 2 people in Challenge 2) but it gives you a +2 to any roll - you don't have to be doing exactly the same thing as someone else.

It's too late to help Callen right now, though, since you already acted for this round. We're just waiting for Goeth to finish off the round, then you can make another skill check.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

FishXXIII

First Post
"Oh, fantastic. Very typical." Goeth steps back defensivly and casts a quick glance around at the soon-to-be-mob. "I didn't start this. I didn't do anything!"

[sblock=OOC]Trying for Diplomacy[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
Looking at the mob, the gith spits a spell, casting a display of colourfull lights between the tiefling and the humans. The gith places himself in front of Goeth "Stop you agressions now, ignorant fools; spend your energies in setting off the fire, instead of throwing rocks at an inocent man. I will notrepeat it." Mri'Thas robes move with the wind, and behind the mob, slight whispers can be heard "He's right..." "Hear him...". Those are, of course, sounds created by the githyanki.

[sblock=Actions]
Casting prestidigitation and ghostly sounds. Not sure how this counts for the fire fight, if it helps at all.

Edit: I forgot about the arcana roll: 13 :p[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Too busy to make a full post right now - I'll treat that as a Secondary check to help Goeth's diplomacy.

Goeth - you want to post a skill check? (Use Home) You get a +2 because of Mri'Thas's aid.
[/sblock]

Xer0

First Post
[sblock=Joe's qoute]
Solon and Goeth

Solon's indefatiguable efforts have a good effect at battling the blaze, and after a few exhausting minutes the fire has died down somewhat on this side of the square. After a while, though, he realizes the flow of water has slowed, and he turns to see that only one person is still carrying a bucket from the tavern - his brother. The rest of the crowd is knotted in a circle, staring and whispering.

"Demon!" he hears, and, "...responsible... look at its skin!" The words, "Hellish," and "Hellfire," drift out of the crowd.

Finally a man steps forward, holding a broken cobblestone, and hurls it to shatter on the cobbles at Goeth's feet. "Be off with you!" he yells. "Take yer hellfire away from here, and be damned! Haven't ye done enough damage?"

[sblock=OOC]
Success for Solon. Goeth still has a roll for this round.

Absolutely. That would be some sort of Charisma-based check - Diplomacy usually, but it could be Bluff if you pose it as something like "despite the fear he feels inside, Solon puts on a brave face to inspire others" or Intimidate if you're trying to shame them into helping.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
Solon wheels on the gathered crowd, confronting the mob gathering near his brother. "Cowards! Damn your bigoted eyes, all of you. How dare you accuse this man, my brother of wrong doing! All that he's trying to do is save your city, your homes and your own worthless hides, which is more than you yourselves are doing. Take up buckets and fight this fire, not the people who are trying to save you."

[sblock=OOC/Primary check]Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 = 23[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Solitaire, Goeth, Mri-Thas, Solon

These people seem to respond very well to threats - confronted with such an array of outrage, they shuffle their feet and return to the line, and are soon working all the harder to cover their shame. The one who hurled the cobble even has the good grace to mutter, "Sorry," to Goeth as he passes.

[sblock=Solitaire]
You notice that the "cobblestone" split in two when it hit the ground. In fact, it's not a cobblestone at all: you recognize it as a tool you've seen other thieves' use from time to time, a large Thunderstone. The man must have grabbed it from one of the piles of rescued goods lying around. You're very lucky it split instead of going off when it hit the ground - maybe it's defective.

(Each half of the split stone is usable as a Level 5 Thunderstone.)
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
Success for Solitaire, Success for Goeth, Success for Solon, and an assist for Mri-Thas.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Status]
Round 1 finishes with Goeth's roll, Round 2 has begun:

Challenge 1: 5 of 12 successes / 0 of 3 failures
Challenge 2: 3 of 10 successes / 0 of 3 failures

Solon, Solitaire and Goeth are together on the bucket line in the main square.
Soldier, Galinndan, Callen, Mri'Thas and Ts'iri are in other parts of the main square.
Kama'zer is alone in a building.

Everybody in the main square and bucket line can see and hear each other (I'll let you decide if your characters notice specific actions and conversations), but Kama'zer is on his own.

Acted:
Mri'Thas
Solon
Solitaire

Yet to act:
Kama'zer
Soldier
Galinndan
Callen
Ts'iri
Goeth
[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=New Rule]
I've decided to add a way to get rid of failures, to make it less dangerous to take risks. There are 3 ways to get rid of a failure:

1. As soon as you make a roll that fails, you can spend an Action Point to reroll. (You can do this for any roll that's part of the challenge, but you probably want to save it for Primary skill checks.)

2. If you succeed at a Primary skill check using a Daily power, this both adds a success and removes a failure.

3. Remember that if somebody fails at a Primary skill check by only a few points, the next few characters can use Aid Another to bump the roll up to a success.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Kama'zer and Ts'iri]
Since I added rule 2 after you already used your daily powers, and it's a lot more powerful than the bonus I gave you, I'll let you have another use of them.
[/sblock]

Remove ads