• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Firearms to be made a fixed part of the game, new Weapons Rules

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
First thought when reading the title of the thread:
Whew, finally. You have my attention, sir!

Upon closer examination:
Um, nevermind. I stopped reading at "...damage even on a miss."
Do not want. Ever.

Last edited:

Are they planning matchlock, wheellock, flintlock, or some new fantasy mechanism?
It's the same ones as the ones in the DMG under "Renaissance Firearms", that's really unspecific about the firing mechanism. They're probably Matchlocks or Wheellocks.

But the PHB is really unspecific about the mechanisms on their crossbows too.

CleverNickName

I know that this is probably just a first-pass at some firearms rules for the next iteration of D&D, but from what I'm seeing, I'm probably going to give it a pass. The Seas of Vodari, published by Tribality Games, is my go-to for firearms and firearms-themed classes. If you're interested in running a swashbuckling, seafaring style D&D game, I highly recommend it.

They've got your Arcane Gunslingers...
1680798983832.png

...your swashbuckling pistoleer rogues...
1680799007912.png

...your dwarven cannoneers...
1680799129475.png

...your dueling Musketteer-flavored fighters...
1680799049583.png

...and more firepower than you can shake a d20 at.
1680799181731.png

I had to house-rule a few things for my table (mostly the reload speed...being able to reload a flintlock in 6 seconds is absurd) but that's about it. My players are really digging it, and I hope that Wizards of the Coast stays as close to it as possible.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The Seas of Vodari, published by Tribality Games, is my go-to for firearms and firearms-themed classes. If you're interested in running a swashbuckling, seafaring style D&D game, you'll find all sorts of goodies.

They've got your Arcane Gunslingers...
View attachment 281181

...your swashbuckling pistoleer rogues...
View attachment 281182

...your dwarven cannoneers...
View attachment 281184

...your dueling Musketteer-flavored fighters...
View attachment 281183

...and more firepower than you can shake a d20 at.
View attachment 281185

I had to house-rule a few things for my table (mostly the reload speed...being able to reload a flintlock in 6 seconds is absurd) but that's about it. My players are really digging it.
Being able to reload a heavy crossbow in 6 seconds is equally absurd though, so 🤷‍♀️

CleverNickName

A windlass crossbow would take just as long to reload as a musket, if not longer.
Yep, I agree. If Heavy Crossbow = Windlass Crossbow, that is a ridiculous reload time. But the "heavy crossbow" as it's described in the Player's Handbook could be any crossbow that takes 2 hands to aim and fire...I don't think a windlass mechanism is described. Flintlocks, however, are explicitly mentioned.

But your point stands: the reload speed of crossbows in D&D is incredibly, unbelievably fast. The only part I'm disagreeing with is the part where you suggest these firearm reload speeds are equally unbelievable.

Last edited:

This tweet is categorically incorrect. Greyhawk has never had firearms, as gunpowder doesn't work there. The lone exception to this is the "6 shooters" belonging to Myrlund, but those are actually wands.
Umm, categorically incorrect? Never? Because different writers and designers have different ideas an interests, "canon" is littered with inconsistencies. Off the top of my head.
1. Greyhawk is part of the greater multiverse, being in Greyspace which was described in Spelljammer. And Greyspace had giff in the Grinder belt. Giff are hippofolk known most for their guns.
2. Greyhawk has the Barrier Peaks, which had a spaceship crash which had laser guns.
3. Murlynd's guns were guns, even if they only worked because of his magic aura. I would assert that calling them "wands" is a colloquialism that arose from there not being a word for "guns" and wands were the closest thing to what others understood.

I did a simple internet search and found some articles about guns in Greyhawk:

Remove ads