• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Font of Life applies to death saves...

Jack99

Adventurer
WotC has just started a new feature. Answering tweets about rules on Thursdays. From what I could tell, it was Trevor Kidd and some elder brains answering questions.
Can Wardens use Font of Life on death saves?

RAW, yes you can use font of life to make a death save

That should make my warden player really happy.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I'm surprised, I wouldn't have considered the dying condition an effect that a save can end. It can be terminated on a 20, but only if you have a healing surge left and in any case, it's not the normal procedure for saves against an effect.

Jack99

Adventurer
I'm surprised, I wouldn't have considered the dying condition an effect that a save can end. It can be terminated on a 20, but only if you have a healing surge left and in any case, it's not the normal procedure for saves against an effect.

Exactly. I actually asked it as a trick question of sorts.

OakwoodDM

First Post
Why would you want to, though?

The last thing I would want to be doing is making 2 death saves per round. You could be dead by the start of your second round unconscious!

I mean, yes, theoretically, it means you could get a turn of actions if you roll a 20 on one of the start of turn rolls, but realistically, if you use Font of Life with death saves you're going to get shafted more often than you're going to gain from it.

Jack99

Adventurer
Why would you want to, though?

The last thing I would want to be doing is making 2 death saves per round. You could be dead by the start of your second round unconscious!

I mean, yes, theoretically, it means you could get a turn of actions if you roll a 20 on one of the start of turn rolls, but realistically, if you use Font of Life with death saves you're going to get shafted more often than you're going to gain from it.

A failed save only has negative effects if failed at the end of your turn. Thus Font of Life can never cause a negative effect.

sigfile

Explorer

Don't forget saving throw bonuses. You don't need to *roll* a 20, you just need to end up with a 20 or higher to turn a full-round-stun in to a full round of actions with 1/4 or more of your hit points. That's huge.

Markn

First Post
Thanks for the heads up.

I took a look at some of the answers and found this nugget:

Does the bloodied condition end when a player is reduced below 0 hp and is then dying?

RAW, no - the bloodied condition does not end when a character is dying. (official answer)

Hopefully that will officially clear up the debate of whether or not someone is bloodied while dying.

Last edited:

Akaiku

First Post
Don't forget saving throw bonuses. You don't need to *roll* a 20, you just need to end up with a 20 or higher to turn a full-round-stun in to a full round of actions with 1/4 or more of your hit points. That's huge.

Especally with that one feat that makes divine characters give a +5 to death saves to allies as a passive effect.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
A failed save only has negative effects if failed at the end of your turn. Thus Font of Life can never cause a negative effect.

Where is that (not doubting it, more instead needed it as reference for when my Warden fails a death save at the beginning of his turn).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads